OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to remove a Sendero Recoil pad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove a Sendero Recoil pad?
    Posted: October/31/2010 at 12:00
Any tips? I know I could just send it to a smith, but why not save the movey for more ammo? Does anyone in here know exactly how to replace it? Trust me, its glued on, and how much am I supposed to take off, does the thin black piece between the stock and recoil pad come off too?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 13:07
Put it in your freezer over night (just the stock) and then get a putty knife or a chisel and lightly tap between the stock and the thin plastic piece that the pad is connected to. 

It will just pop right off.  Sometimes the plastic will break, but if you use a very thin tool to get it off it usually won't.  That is why I say a putty knife is probably best. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 13:57
Good info st173...Thanks
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 15:30
That is correct, this pad is glued on, not screwed.

Edited by lucytuma - October/31/2010 at 15:31
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 19:29
Okay so I got it off. But it didn't work as well as it should have. That plastic piece came off as well. Now the stock is still in good condition, there isnt any damage to it, but can a smith fix my bad mistake? Now I'm a little worried. There is still pieces attached to the stock. Please tell me I'm still in good shape Whatever

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 19:55
Listen to tool, Mine popped off perfect.

Edited by Steelbenz - October/31/2010 at 19:55
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 20:27
I'm going to post pictures. Please be honest on if it's still good or not. I'm calling the smith tomorrow after searching around for a good one, so here goes.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 21:12
looks like you need to get the rest off try the freezer again and tap the chisel to cut it off.  The stock will be fine.  When you get the new recoil pad hold it against the stock and mark the outline shape with a pencil then use a sander to take it down to that mark.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 21:32
Shocked look at the gaping hole you made in the stock, you really screwed up hercules.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 21:33
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

looks like you need to get the rest off try the freezer again and tap the chisel to cut it off.  The stock will be fine.  When you get the new recoil pad hold it against the stock and mark the outline shape with a pencil then use a sander to take it down to that mark.

+1
Use the sander for the bulk...then mount the pad...tape the stock up with masking tape and use sand paper with a stiff backer and finer grit for final fit...pay attention to the tape and replace if its getting too thin.   Good Luck
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 00:20
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

+1
Use the sander for the bulk...then mount the pad...tape the stock up with masking tape and use sand paper with a stiff backer and finer grit for final fit...pay attention to the tape and replace if its getting too thin.   Good Luck
+2.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 07:04
Stock is fine.  That piece still on there gonna need to come off though.  Try the freezer, if that dont work, try a heat gun but do it carefully.  The new pad should bolt right up if you get one that is suppose to fit.  Then do the tape and sandign thing, don't think you'll have much bulk.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 09:31
Yeah, your stock it just fine.  Just slowly break the rest of that off as has been stated. 

If you screw the new one on make sure to use those little plastic anchors that expand when you put screws in them.  The stock material is actually pretty soft on the inside and could strip out pretty easy with just screws.  You could glue it, but the down side to that is once again it is hard to get off. (but if you don't ever see yourself taking it off again it would work) The stock I had like that I just screwed it on with the plastic expanders and it was very sturdy. 

One cool thing about those stocks at least for target shooters is once you take that pad off, you can now fill that big hole with lead shot and epoxy to add weight to your rifle.  Makes them balance a lot better and reduces recoil a lot. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 09:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Shocked look at the gaping hole you made in the stock, you really screwed up hercules.
Roll on Floor LaughingHercules
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 11:19
I used screws and 5 minute epoxy on mine, there isn't much screw holding ability in this stock, hence the reason it was glued on in the first place.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2010 at 18:28
UPDATE GENTLEMAN.

I broke down today and sent the stock back to my new buddy Kent over at H-S Precision. Here is why. First of all, I really appreciate the knowledge for being able to do it myself next time, you gentleman are above par. Secondly, I don't have all the tools needed to finish that job, and if you look closely, on the side there is rub that has caused that reddish color. Thirdly, and the best part, is that H-S will install the Limbsaver on it, and change out my swivel studs and install a third for the bipod/sling ability. The awesome part about it is is that they are installing nickel plated stainless steel ones, which will match my barrel. THEN they are giving her a facelift and redoing my stock in their sand color. I debated getting that or the graphite color. I almost did it in black with blue webbing, but decided that since they will recolor it for FREE in the sand, why not Big Grin. Now I will have a true custom rifle, all for $135, to include the $40 Limbsaver! Can't wait to get her back, and post new pics!

Her new name is..............WIDOWMAKER!

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 22:49
Thanks for the info.I put my 5r mil spec stock[H-S] in the freezer for 30 hours,3 mild wacks with a hammer & a med size putty knife at the point where the stock & butt pad meet & the old pad feel off,totally in tact.

Filled the hollow part of the stock[1"x2"x6.8"] with sorbathine, epoxy & copper BB's.The only problem I had was to work around the Karstan cheek weld bolts.Total weight added about, 10oz to the stock.

Just waiting for the SVL butt pad,should be another fine job done Thanks to all the help from you guys on the OT Bucky
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2013 at 13:56

Mine doesn't look anything like this. Mine has a full piece of metal underneath the rubber pad, but between the very end of the stock and the rubber pad, if that makes sense. 

Does this metal piece come out too?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2013 at 14:18
Bucky     Take the pad off----throw rifle away---put new rifle on pad!!   Roll on Floor Laughing  

Just kidding!!!   
Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2013 at 15:15
Cencored

Wink

Uh....anyone else? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic