OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sightron qaulity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutnbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sightron qaulity
    Posted: November/20/2005 at 21:26
How does the qaulity of sightron III  series scopes stack up to bushnell 4200, nikon buckmaster, zeiss conquest.  
A RIFLE SCOPE IS NOT A SPOTTING SCOPE,DON'T LOOK AT PEOPLE THROUGH YOUR SCOPE.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2005 at 21:42

I have seen but not used the Sightrons.  They seem to be really nice scopes that are obviously better than a Buckmaster.  But, I don't think they are comparable to a 4200 or a Conquest. 

ranburr

Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2005 at 22:43

I have the 4-16X44 Silver Sightron S1 with target knobs and I dont like it.

1. It has very good glass and this is the best thing about it.

2.It will not hold zero on a high power rifle so it sits on my 10/22 and does good.

3. the turrets are a lot like a cheap tasco-sound and feel bad.

4.The ocular lens gets a big fog spot in it when it rains or freezes.

I dont know if the new ones are better but be cautious.

I paid almost $400 for it.I should have got a Super Sniper. 

What a great hobby!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 04:02
Originally posted by Sniper6 Sniper6 wrote:

I have the 4-16X44 Silver Sightron S1 with target knobs and I dont like it.

1. It has very good glass and this is the best thing about it.

2.It will not hold zero on a high power rifle so it sits on my 10/22 and does good.

3. the turrets are a lot like a cheap tasco-sound and feel bad.

4.The ocular lens gets a big fog spot in it when it rains or freezes.

I dont know if the new ones are better but be cautious.

I paid almost $400 for it.I should have got a Super Sniper. 

Have you ever notified Sightron about the scope??

Ranburr, hate to disagree with you but the Sightron isn't a huge improvment over the Buckmaster.

Actually, as far as I'm concerned they are about equal optically speaking.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 09:03

Sightrons aren't even close to a 4200 let alone a Conquest. They are a sub-contract made in Japan and sold by an American based company. Not a bad thing so are Super Snipers. Buckmaster, sightron, Leo Var1,  scopes in that price range are about the same (which isn't bad either, these products offer amazing value). The sightrons are not a Zeiss in affordable clothing which seems to be what everbody wants.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 16:43

I am not familiar with Sightron Series 1 4-16x44, so I can not comment on that, but I know that Sightron does not make that configuration currently.  How old is the scope? I have never even heard of this one.  I do have an S2 4-16x42MD and it works just fine.

I also have three other Sightrons and I have not had any problems with them.  If you have one that does not work properly perhaps you should contact Sightron.  If it is faulty, they'll replace it.

Sightrons are probably not as good as Conquest or Elite 4200 optically, but they do have other advantages in addition to price: adjustment range and repeatability, for example, are top notch as is eye relief (I really think that Sniper6's scope is an odd duck. I've never heard of a Sightron with adjustment problems, and they are generally commended for their durability quite a bit).

As for comparison with a Buckmaster, I have not seen a new Buckmaster, but I think that Sightron S2 is comparable to Nikon Monarch, and S2 is definitely better than the old Buckmaster by a good margin.

Ilya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 16:47
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

(I really think that Sniper6's scope is an odd duck. I've never heard of a Sightron with adjustment problems, and they are generally commended for their durability quite a bit).

Agreed, definantly strange. 

Send it back!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 22:46

My Sightron is an older one, it is 4-16X44 Silver with target turrets. I bought it back when I was new to the sport, It looked cool, I had such a rash of problems with it that I just thought I was out the money so no I had not contacted the company.

I emailed Sightron today and I let them know of all the problems.

I will let you know how it goes.

What a great hobby!
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2005 at 14:27
I have a sightron sII that I am extremly happy with. One best E&W adjustments that I have ever used on a scpoe.
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2005 at 01:06

Sightron sent me a new scope and this one seems alot better than the last but I will put it to the test. 

Sightron was good about everything.

What a great hobby!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2005 at 01:20
I am glad to hear that.

Which model did they send you?

Ilya
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2005 at 19:39
It is a 4-16X42AO Mil-Dot S2 with the ZACT-7.
What a great hobby!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2005 at 20:54

I have that one.  It is a nice scope.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic