OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with scope choices please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with scope choices please
    Posted: October/29/2010 at 09:49
Ok I just picked up my first rifle Marlin XL7 .270  and I am need of a good quality scope within my price range around 250.00
  this is what I have been considering so far.

Vortex Viper 2X7X32 on sale at swfa for 169.00 I am just not sure about the 7 magnification and the smaller obj lens.

Redfield Revolution 3x9x40mm

Sighton S2 Big Sky 3x9x42mm with rebate around 250.00

the vortex viper looks like a great deal but is the 7 magnification and the smaller obj lens ok for whitetail hunting on the east coast??
 as you can see I am new to this and just want to make the right choice.
Thanks for your time!!
Dan
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 09:57
The viper should be fine.  not sure what reticle your looking at but the C3 is a fan favorite here.  Good luck. 
Welcome to the OT
What part of SC are you in?
dan1942 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 09:59
I am in Myrtle Beach

So the C3 is the way to go over the BDC???
Thanks again!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 10:01
I would go C3 over BDC, the claim is that yoru eye focus's on the center a lot faster than any other scope.  Plus with the .270 and the fact that most your shots will be within 300 yds (if like typical landscape round them parts) it really want be a point in the BDC.

Mrytle Beach huh?   I have a house in Shallotte and frequent MB quite a bit.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 10:03
Get the Sightron, it is a better scope than the other two.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 10:51
I'd probably go with the Sightron too. But any of those three would do alright. I checked out a Redfield and it seemed like a decent scope visually and in construction. Unless you want to keep the scope as small as possible, it would be nice to still be on 7X for a 200-yard early morning shot and have the extra light transmission of the Sightron (6mm exit pupil vs. 4.5X for the Viper). You'd have as much light transmission as you can effectively use.
Reaction time is a factor...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 11:18
If $250 is within your budget, I think the Big Sky is the better scope. If money is an issue the viper is very nice, I own one with the C3 reticle.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 11:21
I'd also get the Sightron Big Sky. They are very decent.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
dan1942 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 13:19
the sightron seems to be really nice.  Well I just picked up my rfle and the local gun shop was saying to look for a 50 objective lens for the low light hunting would that be better option then the 42mm that the Big sky offers?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 13:23
In that case try this.

Fantastic deal!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
dan1942 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 14:05
Do you think it is worth the loss of between the 3-3.5 FOV  for the 3.5x10x50mm viper ??
Thanks!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 14:09
no
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 14:18
If you plan on using the scope on 8 to 10x most of the time for low light/night hunting then it would benefit you.

On the other hand if you don't see yourself using it in low light above 7x very often then the lighter weight of the 42mm would probably benefit you more. 

It all comes down to your intended uses. 

One thing the Sightron does have over the Vortex is they have a rainguard type coating that helps sheet water off the lenses.  That is a nice feature for a hunting scope IMO.

Edited by supertool73 - October/29/2010 at 14:18
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 14:45
I put this scope on a 25-06 recently and couldn't be happier.  The extra magnification is nice for trying to wring out the best accuracy while punching paper.

Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope V-Plex Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM04P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • 40% OFF
$239.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl08_Price_VS value=T/JAfV88RCgfgi2eh9PprhHobpC/zAzp3wRP0jKfDILwr2k/I1aVLKDmp8NBzLWQ = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl08_Add2Wishlist_VS value=5LoSwHrBEZLmhP5eLnzfVV5Uu6TloZ1n09Jo34uZlg7nIbqRbSwEVNJtYbFpk4o7 = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl08_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1226_0 =":setTimeout'__doPostBack'ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1226$0',''', 0" = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1226$0>
dan1942 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 15:14
so @ SVT_  you dont think the 3.5 is worth it
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 15:22
No i dont' think you will see a tremendous amount of difference in 1/2X power difference
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 16:57
First rule of thumb: unless you local shop sales guy has a known track record of competence, take everything he says about scopes with a grain of salt (well, more like a couple of pounds of salt).

If this is your first rifle, get the Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42 with a simple plex reticle, then buy good quality bases and rings.  Mount the whole thing as low as possible without the objective bell touching anything.  Loctite the screws with non-permanent blue loctite.  

Then go to the range and practice.  A lot.

ILya
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 19:38

+1

csacpt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csacpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 19:44
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Then go to the range and practice.  A lot.

ILya
Practice? Aww no, do we really have to? LOL
Most excellent advice, and fun too! I love the smell of gunsmoke in the morning, afternoon, and night!

Sorry, couldn't resist, it really is good advice.
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees! "Ready and Forward"

M14 - Forged in Freedom - Proven in Battle
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 19:50
+3
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic