OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 3-9x40 worth the extra $100 over Viper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rightwingnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 3-9x40 worth the extra $100 over Viper
    Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:47
Comparing these two 3-9x40's.  Is the Zeiss worth the extra $100 over the Viper 3-9x40? I have the Viper 2-7x36 and I really am satisfied but you guys seem to hold the Conquest at $399 as the measuring stick of a great cost effective hunting scope.  Shooting no more than 400 yards at paper and 250-300 yards at game and I like to dial drop so v-plex reticle on both scopes is fine.  Looking to move the 2-7 Viper to a 30-30 and will be mounting 1 of these 2 scopes on a Marlin338 with Talley LW's.  Thank you.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:49
boy thats a tough one, i sure do love the conquest.... but i dont own one, i do have that 2x7 viper and love it too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 07:16
You do know the workings of the viper already and it has the turrets to dial in the dope like you want and the conquest doesn't have the target turrets like that so it may be your deciding factor
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 07:43
Well, not being a viper owner, I can't really say, as I can't offer a direct comparison, but I do know that you don't often run into an unhappy conquest owner.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 07:55
I own both the 2.5-8x32 Conquest and the 3-9x40 Conquest. I like them very much and have hunted with both. I do not consider the larger one an improvement over the smaller one. Both have the Zeiss plex #20 reticle. This reticle really should have been a bit heavier or thicker. 
I have never looke through that Viper, but i suspect the larger Conquest will have an optical edge. On the other hand, a smaller Viper may be a better choice for a lighter rifle, and may have a reticle with better visibility in low light. The Conquest reticle is visible in the lowest light, well beyound legal shooting time, but you really need to look for it.

cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 14:39
I own 2 3-9x40 Conquests with the Z plex reticle, a Viper 4-12x40 with the plex reticle and Viper   2-7x32 with the bullet drop (can't recall the name) reticle.  While the Vipers both offer excellent value for the $ as I'm sure the 3-9x40 would as well, if I had to pick one I'd take the Conquest and part with the extra $100 every time.  That scope is just enough better to justify it.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 18:53
Zeiss Conquests are made in the U.S. I know that Vortex is held in high regard here but I would buy the Zeiss even if it does cost more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic