OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need scope advice for a Kimber Advanced Tactical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope advice for a Kimber Advanced Tactical

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al120hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope advice for a Kimber Advanced Tactical
    Posted: October/28/2010 at 17:11
I just purchased a Kimber Advanced Tactical 308. I am trying to decide what scope to purchase. I was looking at the Leupold Mark 4 3.5 10 x 40 illuminated TMR.

Would this be a wise choice or is there something else I should consider???

Thanks

AL
Thanks

Al
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 17:45
My advice: don't buy Leupold!

What is your budget?
What is the intended use?
At what ranges will you be shooting?
What is your experience level with rifle shooting?
What do you "need"?
What do you "want"?

Do not buy Leupold, there are much better options - and most, if not all, are better scopes for the money.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
al120hp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al120hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 18:26
I am looking to shoot out to 400-500yds   mainly target shooting.  However I might take it deer hunting.  Budget is up to $1500.00   This is my first tactical rifle, I own many hunting rifles. 

Why not the leupold?????  reason???
Thanks

Al

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 18:40
Leupold makes a "decent" scope and sells it at a "great" scope price (you pay too much for what you get.)

As it is a tactical rifle, I'll guess you want a tactical scope.

Depending on what you want or need, I would recommend the following:

1.  SWFA SS3-9: great glass, great adjustments, great turrets, not illuminated
2.  IOR 2.5-10 FFP: costs 2X more, illumination, great glass, very good turrets.
3.  Nightforce 3.5-15: max budget, very good glass, illuminated reticle, choice of reticles, very, very well built and dependable.

There are more, but that is a start.  In truth, I'd buy the 3-9 SS and put the remaining funds into range time (most people spend too much money on the gear and not enough money on trigger time.)

The primary rule of optics: NEVER buy lesser glass to get more magnification.  You don't need more than about 10X, spend money on good glass and you will be glad you did.

You want target turrets, you might want illumination (but probably don't need) and whether you want FFP is up to you.

The SS3-9 is hands down better than the leupold 3.5-10, and for allot less money.

If you want to spend it all and get a really, really good scope with all the bells and whistles, get Nightforce, you will not regret it.  For a better deal, get the 3-9SS.  For an in between (about $1100), get the IOR.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 22:01
If illumination is not required I would look at the SS3-9. But if you want illumination then I would look at the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 as well as the 3.5-15x50. The NF 2.5-10 is about the same cost as the IOR 2.5-10.

I switched from a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 to a NF 3.5-15 and there is a big difference in scopes. The NF has way better glass and adjustments are excellent. I would be very hard pressed to buy another Leupold.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 22:09
True,  but a lot of us do use Leupold still as it is widely accepted in Law Enforcement and Military tactical use, one reason why is  military and LE get them at a discount. I was on the range with the Des Moines Metro snipers the other day and all their scopes were Leupold  in either the 3.5-10 or the 4.5-14. I have one of the 3.5-10x40 FFP versions. I also have two of the Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP  MIL MIL scopes and I will say that I just love the MIL MIL scopes it is so nice to have the reticle and the adjustment on the knobs match. Nightforce does that also and has some  that are MIL MIL and some that are moa based reticles to work with 1/4 moa turrets.   There are a couple of helpful web sites    mildot.com   mil-dot.com one thing you should buy with your scope is a mildot master its a slider rule like device for determining diistance with your mil dots. Rancid has owned all of the really cool high end tactical scopes that most of us will never be able to afford so his advise is very solid and you would be well advised to buy the Nightforce or if you can afford better the U.S. Optics and Heinsoldt are the best, naturally he has had them also. If you just want to get started and see where it takes you buy the Super Sniper 3-9 or the 10x HD the HD version has a parallax adjustment which is nice to have at long range and it is a really tough scope special ordered for Military use so there is a limited supply of the HD version.  If you hunt the 3-9 will give you more flexability.  Other than those the Zeiss Conquest is available with target knobs and while it wont have as much internal adjustment as these it is nice glass.  If you could live with 50 moa of internal adjustment the Trijicon Accupoint has an illuminated reticle and tactical knobs on their 5-20x50.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 01:08
I would most certainly suggest you go for a higher magnification then 10X. Depends on the size of targets you wish to engage of course. But for precision shooting a little more magn will not hurt.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 07:28

There are some Zeiss Conquest on Samplelist.com with target turrets in the 4-14 range, and they are a great price. They would be a good scope as well.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 09:29
For another 400 you could go to Razor which is way ahead.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 09:35
I should clarify (my anti-Leupold screed) that, with military or LE discount, Leupold is a decent deal.

They did a great job, long before there was a 'tactical scope" market, at entrenching in military and LE use.  They enjoy name recognition and a reputation for stellar Customer Service (which is good, because they seem to break allot - especially when not riding on safe queens.)

In the end, get the best you can afford (and still have money to spend lots of time on the range.)

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - October/29/2010 at 12:10
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 11:08
One thing that disappoints me with the Leupolds are their magnification ranges. 3.5-10 is essentially using a 3X erector and doesn't buy you much over the SS 3-9X. In fact, I'd rather have the lower low end (1.8-3) than an incrementally larger high end if I'm doing any hunting with the scope.

You can look at it this way: The SS 3-9 will be a great scope for any shot between 10-400 yards and will leave $$$ for range time. Or, if it's not a problem, look at the 2.5-10s and on up. Another option available now is the Bushnell 3-12X44 FFP scope. It has mil turrets too: http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-12x44-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45484.aspx. But if you have the dough, consider something in the 3-15/18 range, FFP and matching turrets. Yes, you will pay but can end up with a scope that will really rock. I really like using my Premier 3-15X, although its my LTR with a NF 2.5-10X32 that gets hauled around in the mountains.
Reaction time is a factor...
al120hp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al120hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 21:35
Thanks for the replys.  I am leaning towards the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X 50mm (Matte) 30mm Tube SF.   It seems like all the web sites that I checked sell it for $1483.00    Is there anywhere else that sells these for less?   Or is it a set price?   Also, I am assuming that I need medium rings for the "Kimber Advanced Tactical" rifle that this scope will be going on.  Should I spend the money and get the nightforce rings or save a few bucks and get someyhing else 

Thanks

Al
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2010 at 07:30
You might try calling a vendor or two, but NF, like some other scope manufacturers, doesn't allow any deviation from the MSRP when advertised. Nothing wrong with their rings, but you could spend less and do just as well. Be advised that they discourage (possibly won't warranty) using dovetail rings or other two-piece mounts. Personally, I feel more comfortable with a one-piece mount or a picatinny rail.

If you're going into that price range, take a real good look at the IOR offerings. You could go FFP on a 3-18X42 for just $17 more and get good rings for free - http://swfa.com/IOR-3-18x42-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8937.aspx. Then you'd just need to pay for a base. In the end, you'd pay less for a scope with better glass, a great reticle design, and FFP with matching turrets. I say this as a happy and satisfied NF owner.
Reaction time is a factor...
al120hp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al120hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2010 at 09:56

Thanks for the reply

Thanks

Al

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2010 at 14:27
The IOR is a good scope, I'd get the Nightforce, given my personal experience with both scope in question (NF 3-15 and IOR3-18), the NF is all but bombproof. The IOR's glass is a little better, but NF's is more then good.
Either will serve you well. I like the NF turrets more.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2010 at 20:19
yes --save 400 and get the Vortex Razor its better than either the NF or especially the Ior. You will need to go to about 2400 to get the NF in FFP comparable to the Razor in at least the features. Yes I have all four.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

al120hp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al120hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 15:35
Well I bought a scope.  I picked up a Nightforce NXS 3.5 x 15 x50 mil dot rec.   Just got it from fed ex today.   I purchased it from XXXXXXXX.  Super quick delivery.  I am going to mount it on tonight.  I will try to post a pic or two when I get it on.

Thanks for all of the input and the advice. It was helpful in my decision making process.Whacko

Edited by Chris Farris - November/03/2010 at 17:28
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 04:47
You bought well. I am super Big Grin.

Pics pics???
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 10:23
+1
al120hp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al120hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 16:50
Took it to the range for the first time today.  Once zeroed in I was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100yds and 1 inch groups at 200yds.  Tomorrow I am going to take it out and shoot a little further.  The NF scope fits the gun well and worked well.  I am very satisified with both the gun and the scope.
Thanks

Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic