OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Review of the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 12:33
Hello Fredfrankbob,
           First off let me say that I totally understand your frustration and concern. We try to do our best and all 50 of our staff here in Middleton,WI are very dedicated and we take our job to heart so when we see an unsatisfied customer it hurts, literally and even more so if that customer goes away and stays unsatisfied.
       I can assure that what you are describing happening to your scope is not a common thing and is actually the first time I have heard of it happening (to the best of my recollection) to the SWFA $99 6-24 Crossfire, but on the other hand,as much as we try, nobody is perfect. Although for the thousands of Crossfires that SWFA sells an extremely small number of them have issues and having been in the industry for a while I can honestly say that there are other more expensive scopes out there that have much higher failure rates. On another note I get repeated emails about people using and winning with Crossfires at benchrest comps,people with Crossfires on 338Lapua's(which I personally wouldnt do,but hey...),anyways what I am saying is that the good reports outweigh the bad reports by a very large number and with human nature being the way it is(usually only bringing up bad experiences) I would say that is saying something.

I urge you to please give me a call personally and let me try to get this taste out of your mouth and in the meantime I will certainly keep an eye out for your scope and take a look at it personally when it gets here.

Sincerely,
Scott
608-836-0922
800-426-0048 ext 323

PS: What caliber/gun did you have it on?

ETA: I was just informed that it is here already so I will round it up and take a look at it .

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex - October/28/2010 at 13:09
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 13:33
Scott,

Tried to call, no answer at that ext. the scope was mounted on a varmint AR .223, I will call again shortly.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 13:37
I am sitting here now if you can call. If you have trouble getting through again just call the 800 number and ask for me.

Thanks man
Scott

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex - October/28/2010 at 13:40
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 13:48
Grim,

Linking me a page that has 2 people reporting failures on the first page with the crossfire line is more suited to criticize vortex, not praise them..not fully understanding the logic here. 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 14:22
Fredfrankbob,

I do not have experience with the crossfire model you have (had).  I do have the 2-7 crossfire rimfire scope and it has been an excellent scope on a Ruger 10/22. 

I have had top-of-the-line optics fail from other manufacturers.  Failures will happen.  That is why customer service is so important in optics manufacturing and sales (go SWFA!). It is encouraging to see the level of service you are receiving for such an inexpensive product.  It says a lot about Vortex (and a bit about Opticstalk, as well).

I am interested to see how your situation turns out.
-Matt
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 15:47
Originally posted by Fredfrankbob Fredfrankbob wrote:

Grim,

Linking me a page that has 2 people reporting failures on the first page with the crossfire line is more suited to criticize vortex, not praise them..not fully understanding the logic here. 

is see your point, but do you have any idea how many people purchase these scopes? I don't; but ask scott of SWFA.  I bet its somewhere in the thousands, maybe double digit thousands.  Two people is hardly anything.  0.02% failure sounds pretty nice!  Ok im sure there are more failures than that, thats hardly realistic, but maybe you understand the logic now.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 15:48
ask scott OR someone at swfa*.  an edit button would be nice if i could find it.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 15:51
Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

ask scott OR someone at swfa*.  an edit button would be nice if i could find it.
  you can find it, after 50 post.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 20:12
Thank you for all your comments and inputs.

I agree and have never argued that Vortex has great customer service, I have been in contact with Scott and we talked about the products and I understand a bit more about Vortex and its scope lineup, they care about the customer and try to ensure they are satisfied, this is smart business, no matter how cheap or expensive all companies should do business like this.

dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:59

Fredfrankbob,

I understand your aggravation, after getting your scope and having it fail is disappointing but it is not particular to any brand or price of scope.  At one match I attended I saw a $4000 USO SN-9 (10-42) fail (for the same thing a second time), a brand new unfired (the competitor withdrew after being unable to sight in) NightForce, and my cheapo scope (unable to get elevation back to 600 yard practice zero). I swapped out the cheapo scope with its back up (same make and model) and shot the match.  After returning home I noticed the ocular lens became delaminated.   That’s four scopes out of about 35 guns on the line ranging from bargain basement to upper midrange to very expensive,  in each case (to the best  of knowledge) the manufactures stood behind their scopes.  At least you did not drive hundreds of miles and pay entry fees, use vacation time and motel bills!

dsr
warrior View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 07:53
As reported in another thread last summer, I have over 500 rounds of .223, 60 grain Vmax handloads,  pushed at 3000fps (fairly hot round) for prairie dog shooting.  The Crossfire has performed very well with shots out to 400 yards.  My scope is mounted on an AR platform build for long range shooting and is mounted with Burris Xtreme tactical rings.  No movement at all... rock solid.  I sighted in at 200 meters back in July and it still hits the same spot if I do my job.    In addition to shooting, it has been bounce around quite a bit in the back of the truck traveling accross the prairie.  I think you just got unlucky with the ones you received.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 17:03
I snagged one for $99 and put it on my wifes 223 target rig ... that rifle doesn't see much use per year ... 150-200 rounds tops ... we will see how long my gamble lasts ...
catalyst View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 15:02
I hate to bump an old thread, but how was this issue ever resolved?

I had a previous issue with my crossfire 6-24x50 and they sent me out a new one asap. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 15:30
The issue is resolved and was believe it or not, just taken care of last week, I was out of town and had issues preventing me from doing anything about it, while I was gone I was sent a Vortex Viper to evaluate, there is no comparison between the crossfire and the viper, period, and thats just the visual differences.  Though I have not been able to mount and truly test the scope, I will post up once I can get to the range and give a fair evaluation.  I must say thanks to Scott for being patient and again it truly shows the customer service this company strives to perfect, which has been the same from the get go. 
iambrb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iambrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 11:32
Hi!  I saw this and was so moved by it, I joined the forum so I could post!  before I start, this just my personal expereince,a nd that last bit is key to the whole thing. 

So I ordered a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50MM scope from SWFA. SWFA is to be commended for their fantastic & prompt customer service.

Anyway, I got he box and pulled the scope out. it looked OK. Then, I tried to attach the provided sunshade. After about 5 minutes of frustrating unsuccessful attempts, I got out my calipers and started measuring. Seems that the sunshade is badly out of round, being off by more that 50 thousandths! Ok, I think, that might work if I do some 'massaging' on it. I take it out on the porch about 45 minutes before dark, in the early eve. Well, at least it appeared to magnify at about 6x on the lowest setting. The edges were really fuzzy. I look at the top, and see that it is set at 10yds, so I start to turn it out to 100 yds, and inside the scope I feel a spring go 'sprong!' and can actually HEAR it! I give the scope a shake and nothing, look thru it and it is fine and much clearer, certainly very acceptable.  So I try to turn the objective back in. it is is very stiff, then 'ping!' and gets easy. I try this multiple times and it always works this way. The top-end magnification is 24x. I never intended to go that high, but even working with 'Sprong/Ping', I still see it is pretty fuzzy, but again, acceptable.

After farting with it for a bit and feeling really queasy, I get out my old El Paso Weaver 4-12x on my .270. Comparing the two throughout their respective range, I see that the Vortex has NO advantage over this 1970's product. in fact, it appears pretty inferior, and the flare on both, due to lack of coatings is there, but the 'new' Crossfire is noticeably more! I take the Weaver and put it in the house, and very carefully repack the scope, and email SWFA to get a Return Authorization Number.

The Crossfire is an absolute piece!!!!! I did not expect a Swarovski. Hey, I didn't even really expect a Redfield Revolution, but this is terrible!

One other thing. I work for a company that is not involved in this manufacturing, but in our market segment, we regularly have to make decisions as to whether or not we want to make a product at a profit, or break-even just to fill a niche, keeping our 'foot in the door' of the respective customer or market segment. When we get to that point, we always ask ourselves if the product we are selling at reduced cost/value with ultimately hurt us if the product is perceived as poor.

I think that Vortex should have asked themselves this.
SeanHagerty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHagerty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 18:34
If you still have the Vortex Crossfire, I will give you $50 for it.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 09:29
I have one. I now have it a .17 hmr. I had it on an enfield for one day just to be able to shoot it at a range. had a hard time geting good groups but I think that is as much the gun and anything. With the .17hmr it seems to do pretty well. although i find that sometimes I need to make minor adjustments from time to time. Whether that is due to wind etc. At one point it was way off but I let a friend of mine look at it and I left the room for a bit and he was putting the turret cap back on so my guess is he rotated it and then didn't know where to put it back to. I can hold 2 inch groups at 100 yards with it anyway. Lately its been a bit strange but the bore was pretty dirty and had some copper fouling in it. I find it copper fouls quite easily. Think the barrrel is not fully shot in yet.

And yes I know this is and old thread but I now hav the scope on a gun and am following up with my previous post.
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
JDT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 14:49
I purchased a Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6x24x50mm for my .300 Win Mag Vanguard.  Long story short, it doesn't hold up well on this rifle and I do not recommend this product.  I've shot the .300 Win Mag several times now over a two year period and it simply will not zero in as bullets continue to spray and never tighten up at 200 yards.  At 100 yards you will be fine but even at 100 yards the bullet is not tight enough for me.  If you want quality shooting at 200 or more yards, you need to buy a more expensive scope such as a Leupold.  
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 15:32
JDT, this thread is over 5 years old.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic