OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2.5-16x bushnell. Anything else as flexible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piston broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5-16x bushnell. Anything else as flexible?
    Posted: October/27/2010 at 05:55
Hi

Just wondered if there is any other scope that provides similar flexibility?
Along the lines of...
Close up focus, ten odd yards
Large zoom range

The only other one I have thought of is the 2-12x32 IOR but wasn't really sure how good it would be in low light.

Thanks for the helpBig Smile

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 06:22
Depends on what you are specifically seeking and how much $ you want to spend. The Swaro Z-6 comes to mind as a top contender. I'm sure others will soon chime in.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
piston broke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piston broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 06:33
Money wise, could probably stretch to $1400 or so.
Use is varied.... from close up work, sometimes with an nv addon,  to paper punching out to 300yrds.
Currently have a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 with z1000 ret, but have another rifle coming - AR based with both .22 and .223 uppers.

Thanks

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piston broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 06:36
Sorry, meant to say needs to have side focus - the NV addon is something of a pain without.
Thanks.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 07:10
Nitrex TR2 has a 3-15 mag range but not sure what it focus's down to.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - October/27/2010 at 07:11
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 07:59
Slightly more than you want to spend but excellent variable range.

US Optics SN-3S 1.8-10x for around $1600
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 11:31
Better range than the NF 2.5-10X32, but that's an option to consider as well.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piston broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 14:02
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

Slightly more than you want to spend but excellent variable range.

US Optics SN-3S 1.8-10x for around $1600

Thanks. Did have a look, but.....
parallax adjustment from 50yds to infinity optional.

Before anyone mentions them, I'm afraid March are out of my price range tooBig Smile

Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 21:08
This is not about flexibility, but for me is valuable info.

Just in case someone suggest the Bushnell can be bested by NIghtForce I can tell you first hand.  The Bushnell when set on the same magification at the NightForce durning normal daylight shows zero difference by many comparing friends.  I purchased the 2 1/2-16X50 and the 4 1/2-30X50.  The NightForce is a 12-42X56.

I mention the sizes so you will understand when I tell you the NightForce lasted sixteen minutes longer after sunset in a side by side comparison.  The Busnell lasted two minutes longer than the 13X56 Minox binocs.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 02:40
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Any shot I could imagine taking under 50 yards would be at the lowest magnification possible. I looked through my NF on 2.5X @ 10 yards and it was in focus. I would imagine the same is true of any decent scope.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 02:51
I suspect he is shooting airguns, so he really does need close focus.

While not as flexible, Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 4.5-14x42 is pretty decent and is cheaper.  Leupold EFR scopes also focus very close.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piston broke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 04:13
HahaExcellent, he does shoot airguns, but that's not what this scope is for sir.
It is going on an AR, honestBig Smile Initially a 22lr spikes upper and as the license comes in I can add a 223 to the collection, hence trying to find a scope to suit a number of applications.

Thanks

WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 12:54
Piston Broke:

I would suggest, on the high end, the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, for about $1,400. and, on the low end (but still an excellent scope), the Burris SixX 2-12x40, for about $750 (illuminated for about $850). The Swaroski Z6 has a 6x erector but is out of you price range.

Be aware that Bushnell has an OK warranty and a poor warranty service record, that Swarovski has an OK warranty and a great service record, and that Burris has an excellent warranty and a good service record. As for me, I have decided not to buy Bushnell scopes due to their poor CS - it is one of the few brands I will just not buy.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 16:26

if you feel prepared to spend over $1,000 i see no reason not to get the swaro.

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 16:46
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

Piston Broke:

I would suggest, on the high end, the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, for about $1,400. and, on the low end (but still an excellent scope), the Burris SixX 2-12x40, for about $750 (illuminated for about $850). The Swaroski Z6 has a 6x erector but is out of you price range.

Be aware that Bushnell has an OK warranty and a poor warranty service record, that Swarovski has an OK warranty and a great service record, and that Burris has an excellent warranty and a good service record. As for me, I have decided not to buy Bushnell scopes due to their poor CS - it is one of the few brands I will just not buy.
I would suggest, on the high end, the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, for about $1,400Excellent
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic