OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommendations for a basic long range scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations for a basic long range scope?
    Posted: October/26/2010 at 18:36
I was bad and blew my tax refund on a new Savage 10 PC with a fluted 5R barrel, 11.25 twist. It has a 20" barrel. My local range is 300 yards and I'd try to get out there at least once a week this winter. There is a 1000 yard range a couple of hours from me and I'd really like to try to get out that far if I possibly can. My plan is to put targets at unknown ranges and practice ranging with the reticle. If I can sort out something on my own farm I could get 500 yards, but would be shooting over a dirt road, which I'm leery about.

The rifle should be here in a week or so and I'm looking for a decent starter level scope somewhere under $400. Do you think it's possible to get a scope that will suit those purposes under this kind of budget? I'm thinking it'll take a decent amount of elevation to adjust for a 175 grain 308 out of a 20" barrel, but I have no idea what I should be looking for. I've been looking at the Falcon Menace or the Hawke Sidewinders with a max power of 14-16, or possibly a fixed 10x SS. I'd prefer a variable but would give that up if the scope makes up in other ways.

Long story short:  90% of my shooting at 300-500 yards. Hope to get out to 1000. $400 or under.

I thought I should put this to the experts :P What do you guys think?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 18:51
SS 10x. Then go put some rounds downrange.
-Matt
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 20:09
I have a very accurate, to me, Savage .223.  Ten shots into 7/8" at 200 yards.  My longest kill on a rock chuck is 527 yards.  My other Savage was a .220 Extremist.  The longest shot with it on a rock chuck was 469 yards.  The 527 took two shots.  I like the hold so didn't change a thing when it came back out.  The 469 was a first round hit.  Both rifles were wearing 6-24X Tascos.

The .223 had a 8-32X Burris Signature.  It failed when the crosshairs fell out.  The next 8-32X Burris Signature had the cross hairs rotate about 45 degrees.  It was replaced with another 8-32X Burris Signature.  The groups started opening up so I thought the barrel was shot out.  But just to give the gun a chance I put the Tasco on it.  The next five shot group at 100 was .312". 

I sent the Burris back and talked with someone in managemnt on the phone.  I pleaded with them to send me one in the schrink wrap so I could trade it at the store.

I recommend Tasco unless you have the funds for a Bushnell 6500.  I have a Tasco 4-16X on the .340 Weatherby and one on the .375-.416 Rem Mag.  Both went to Alaska in 2002 for cariboo and moose.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 20:37

taken from the website: http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43:riflescopes-under-600&catid=1:the-rating-scale&Itemid=4

Low range variables:

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 (conditional recommendation since these scopes are new to the market)

Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x24

Bushnell 1.25-4x24

Classic Low Light:

Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40

Mid-High Magnification:

Sightron S2 Big Sky 4.5-14x44 or 4-16x42

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50

High Magnification:

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50

Fixed Power:

IOR 6x42 - Superb glass in a classic configuration with a nice low light #4 reticle

Tactical:

SWFA S.S. 3-9x42 (FFP Mil-Dot).  This is the scope I recommend more often than any other in any price range. There is a reason for it.

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 (SFP, Mil/Mil).  This is a conditional recommendation.  I expect to be looking at one of these in more detail later on.

Edited by koshkin - October/29/2010 at 00:54
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 21:09
I would strongly suggest you consider either the 3-9x42 Super Sniper or the 10x HD Super Sniper and I know they are more than you really want to spend but if you intend to set this rifle up one time and truely be happy with it these are the two scopes that you will most likely want. If you do not intend to hunt this scope and are willing to tollerate the shortcomings of a high power fixed power scope the Sightron SIII in a fixed 16x or fixed 20X would also be worth considering mainly due to the huge amount of internal adjustment the four scopes I mentioned have all of these scopes will truely have enough adjustment to go well past 1000 yds. If you have any intention of using the scope to hunt with or useing it for any purpose under 100 yds you need to stay with the 3-9x42 Super Sniper so you can dial down the power.  If it is solely benchrest in bright daylight you can get away with using a higher power scope but the down side of high power scopes is that they look grey in low light and they are quite difficult to get onto a target under 100 yds and on hot days they have issues with mirage.  Bear in mind that a 10 power scope will make a 100 yd target look like it is 10 yards away and a 20 power scope will make a 100 yd target look like it is five yards away.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 21:16
Some good advice...Head Bang
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
PONIESWHEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 22:14
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This is a lot to think about :P

The reason I want either a variable or a fixed with a maximum of 10x is because I plan to shoot from various positions from bench and prone to unsupported positions, so I didn't want to be stuck with a tiny field of view. This would make me lean more towards the variable magnification option. As much as I would like to, I don't think I can stretch my budget as far as getting the SS10xHD, the SS 3-9 would be within my range if I waited a little more and that seems to have the things I'm looking for.

Does the Viper PST 2.5-10 variable at around the same price compare to the SS 3-9? I have a regular Viper and the glass seems very good to me.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 22:51
Originally posted by PONIESWHEE PONIESWHEE wrote:

Does the Viper PST 2.5-10 variable at around the same price compare to the SS 3-9? I have a regular Viper and the glass seems very good to me.

While the PST line shows up on several retailer sites, it is not available yet - they are ironing out production issues. The first batch had some problems.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 00:24
not sure which kind of reticles you like but this one gets my gears going.  It also has a much higher max magnification that would run way over 600 from someone like zeiss or minox.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10822.aspx
and for 60 less you can get the bdc reticle.  or if you can put up with a 44mm objective you can get it in mildot for the same 400.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx  or if you can put up with a target dot you can get it clearanced for $250.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 07:28
To learn to shoot long range and keep it simple to begin with I'd stay with fixed, you'll learn to range better because it will be easier.  If not make sure you get a variable with FFP like the 3-9 SS so you can range accurately on all powers.  I dont' think for the money you can get a better scope than the 10X SS for what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are leary about the 10X not being enough the SS 16X is a fantastic scope as well and provides a little more magnification.  I do not recommend getting anything with a power over 16.... you will see your heartbeat in the reticle and all movement of the rifle is inhanced, for a beginner its not a good thing.  Good luck.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 16:07
Thanks SVT, I'm going to plan on the SS10x and put the rest of the money toward good rings and a solid mount. Sounds like no-one really has any complaints about these scopes and they seem to hold up for a long time, which is one of my primary concerns.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 16:13
They hold their resale value well too.  Most of the time I'd say you could sell them for 70% or more of what you have in them if you take care of them.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 00:56
For $300 the original 10x42 Super Sniper is tough to beat.

If you want more magnifiction, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 is a good way to go.

Make sure you get high quality base and rings.  I would suggest you take a good look at TPS for that.  I think they offer a lot for the money.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 04:16
Price looks pretty good on the steel one piece TPS base. Is there any reason not to go with a 20 MOA base? Will it stop you from zeroing at shorter distances, say 100 yards? From what I gather half of your elevation adjustment range is usually wasted when using a regular 0 MOA base, or maybe I'm not getting that right.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 07:25
I use 20MOA and have no problem with dialing down to 100yds, but i don't leave it there as my zero. There was a thread once about leaving the adjustment of a scope at the near limits, which dialing to 100 and leaving with a 20MOA base would do, and how it would be stressful on the inner workings if done for extended periods. Most SS come in with range of adjustment at 100MOA or better.  figuring half up and half down with some diviation say your end up with 45MOA up and 45MOA down, is that enough for your load to get to 1000 if you ever shoot that distance?  If so just stick with a 0MOA base, if it would be close and your worried it wouldn't, go with a canted base that fits your need.

This make sense?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 12:28
Definitely makes sense, thanks. From what I hear you can get to 1000 on 32-40 MOA of adjustment, depending on the load. If the SS has 100 total that should get me there on a flat base with a 100 yard zero. Of course, this is all conjecture right now :)  I'll start small and see how far out I get. Like I said, the furthest out I can get locally is 500 and I don't reload right now so spending tons of cash on equipment and Lapua components isn't in my immediate future.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 15:10
All good info,+1 on the SS 10x.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic