OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka / Sako ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka / Sako ?
    Posted: October/26/2010 at 11:01
"Need" a new tool.  Bought my son a T3 in .308 and he and I absolutely love it.  My wife suggests I get the exact same thing.  Not a bad idea, but if I love the Tikka that much - what about the Sako?
Would it not be a fair comparrison to say the Tikka is an Olds and the Sako is a Buick?  Both fine and similar, but the Sako is a step up?

Thought? Comments?  Thanks

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 11:09

Tikka's are nice and you know you like them.  I'd stick with what i know if its a "tool" if its a toy then get something new.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 12:12
Are we talking about an A7 or Sako 85.  I think the A7 and the T3's are evenly matched.  While the 85 is definitely a step up, more like a Cadillac then a Buick.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 12:35
When it comes to hunting rifles I am a minimalist, I don't care for presentation grade wood or gold triggers.  As such, I own several Tikkas, they are very accurate and very durable.  I have a friend with a Sako (85) and he loves it, but it seems (to me) a waste of resources.  It looks prettier but shoots no straighter.

There is more "pride in ownership" in a Sako 85, but for a field gun, does it matter?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 14:45
I have a soft spot for Sakos..
I own a 59 L579 243, dad own's a '66 22-250
I have also owned an 85, a 75 and a few Tikkas

Tikka and Sako use the same barrel
both have the same trigger
both with the right ammo are tack drivers

Pretty much agree with Rancid Coolaid

Tikkas all are long actions, but it's one of the ways they keep cost down

I have no direct experience with the A7s and but imagine they would be a nice option
though it sort of bugs me the way Sako has gone coming out with cheaper guns, I mean, as long as they are reliable and accurate, who cares?  But, an old Sako has soul...

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 15:49
If you already know you like the tikka, I'd go that route and use the savings toward good optics.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 17:31
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

If you already know you like the tikka, I'd go that route and use the savings toward good optics.
+1
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 20:23
The SAKO is a Lear jet..............

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 12:55
tman1965: I couldn`t agree more.ExcellentExcellentExcellent

All the higher grade wood etc. won`t bring home more baconWink

BUT, that said... The Sako rifles are very nice rifles.

I used to have a Sako Finbear 30-06. The only complaint i had, was that it was the old type of rifle, long and heavy. 
Now,, i am a littlesh*t and sometimes it felt like the rifle was out hunting with me and not the other way around. Therefore i bought a Blaser R 93. 30-06. Thats the best rifle i ever had caused the strait pull back reloading system, fantastic balance etc. but thats another story.
I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless too. It it also very accurate, and worked perfect out of the box. I like that i can use it as a "tool" and not have to worry so much about a scratch - rain etc.
Don`t worry, the Tikka won`t let you down. Go for it.Thunbs Up

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 18:51
I had a Sako Finnbear L61R years ago.  It weighed a ton.  The first two shots out of a cold barrel made one hole.  It got heavy climbing around mountains.  I bought a Winchester Featherweight XTR to carry around mountains.  I used the Sako for hunting ridges in the sagebrush.  I laid it across my lap.  I only used one bullet to make one hole in deer and antelopes with it. 

I am fresh out of Sakos now.....(  depressions and recessions and a divorce got them all...) 

So just today I put some money down on a Tikka.  It is way lighter than the old Sakos.  I'm sure that it will be accurate. 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 22:37
Tikka is equivalent to Savage: excellent precision out of the box, very poor finish, no pride of ownership.
Sako 85 is more like a European Weatherby Mark V (although not quite as good). However, the A7 is basically a rebranded Tikka, just costs more money.

If you are looking for a utilitarian rifle, go for the Tikka.
If you are looking for a fine firearm, go for the Sako 85.

I should mention, however: about 80% of the Sako 85 reviews mention that the Sako they evaluated did Not meet its 5 round  accuracy guarantee, although they were typically close. They also said they would not send it back...

My own opinion: they are truly fine rifles, but they are not controlled feed. They are accurate, although, I think, no more than a Win 70. They have good finish, and good pride of ownership. I place them just a touch better finished than a Win 70, abt equal to Browning, not as good as Weatherby Mark V. For me, a fine firearm is important. I dislike plastic rifles. I am ready to pay more $$ to get a good stock and a fine stainless action. I only buy rifles that I feel I would like to to leave to my kids, and that I feel they would keep too. I will buy a Sako before I buy a Tikka... In fact, despite the fact that I enjoy shooting a Tikka, and that I really think they are accurate, I will probably never buy one. But that's me.

Btw, the Sako will not shoot better than the Tikka out of the box. And both of them are distributed by Beretta, which means awful customer service...

Edited by WestOfPecos - November/19/2010 at 22:40
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 22:48
I don't see any very poor finish here on this Tikka. 

IMG_0835.jpg

Here is the Regular Model......the only difference is a less deluxe piece of wood. 

Edited by Ed Connelly - November/21/2010 at 19:08
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 04:44
West of pesos: I disliked the plastic rifles too, but not anymore. 
I love my woodstocks, but the plastic/stainless is a great combination for mountain and sh*tty weather hunts where you need a lighter rifle that need no attencion.
Try one you`ll like it and so would your kids.Smile
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 21:14

Ed, Everybody falls at some point but I am glad to here you are getting back up on another Tikka. That is one beautiful looking Tikka in that picture both look great to me b/c I know what they can do.

My first bolt gun was a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 topped it with a Kahles CL 3-9x42 Multizero its my favorite gun. IMO Tikkas are one of the best kept secrets in firearms manufacturing. Mine shoots a true sub MOA at 100yrds actually I averaged all my 3 to 5 shot groups that I recorded and its .71 center whole to center whole. When I was doing research for a bolt gun Sako had not came out with there budget A7. If they had I would have probably spent the extra 100 or so for the better stock.

As much as I love tikkas the synthetic stock does feel cheap but the butter smooth action, adjustable crisp 2.5lb trigger, smooth solid stainless all under 7lbs more than makes up for it. I still have not heard to much about the A7. So I agree with the other guys and buy what you know works and spend that extra money on AMMO. Big Grin

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 22:00
Originally posted by Smileydawg1 Smileydawg1 wrote:

When I was doing research for a bolt gun Sako had not came out with there budget A7. If they had I would have probably spent the extra 100 or so for the better stock.

As much as I love tikkas the synthetic stock does feel cheap but the butter smooth action, adjustable crisp 2.5lb trigger, smooth solid stainless all under 7lbs more than makes up for it. I still have not heard to much about the A7. So I agree with the other guys and buy what you know works and spend that extra money on AMMO. Big Grin

I do not believe the Sako comes in a wood stock.  Its not on their website, nor can I find one offered for sale on the internet.
If I'm wrong, please let me know.  I would be interested in one.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 23:14
I have abought three Tikkas and one Sako A7 in the last year and I can say with certainty that I would not buy another A7 but would be quite happy to buy another Tikka. The A7 was 300 WM and it would not allow full lenght bullets to be loaded in its magazine the magazine was too short which might not be the case with other calibers but it was with 300 Win Mag.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 23:22
Hi Robbie, the A7 might not be offered with a wood stock but I was talking about the A7's synthetic stock being better than the T3.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2010 at 05:57
I am extremely happy with this Tikka, but I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet.  I think it weighs around 7 1/4 lbs. or so.  The catalog says that the Tikka has three action lengths.  Mine is a long action ( I measured it with a 30/06 cartridge ).  That tickles me , too, that I have a long action instead of a medium action, for the 6.5 X 55.    Excellent

This Tikka was a used rifle wearing a Nikon 4 X 40 scope.  From the outside you could not tell that this rifle was ever out of the box.  A walnut stock.  Palm swell grip is a nice touch.  I am real pleased.  I have been wanting a Swedish Mauser for years and years.  Bucky   
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2010 at 09:53
Thats an awesome choice Ed, you will be much pleased with that one!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2010 at 17:14
Ed, is your Tikka a T3? My .308 is lited as 6lbs3/16. My scope has popped me in the face a couple times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic