OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's going on with these scope rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's going on with these scope rings?
    Posted: October/26/2010 at 01:17
So I remounted a scope today on my muzzle loader in preparation for hunting season. I mounted it last time, but it wasn't mounted with the crosshairs leveled to the barrel so I finally decided to fix it. I mounted it all up and when tightening, I alternated from one side to the other giving it about half a turn on each side then to the other side. I got it done, went and shot it and got it sighted in, only to get back home and notice when cleaning it, that the front ring is like it's not straight. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

What is the deal with that? What caused it to do that? Is it something I can leave, or do I need to fix it? I hate to shoot it again as I'm tired of shooting up my powder and bullets as I already shot it quite a bit more than I wanted to. If I do need to fix this how? What caused it to do this?
wjpjr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjpjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 03:18
That looks like a base of a see through mount . The bottom section looks like it's not matched to the top ( uneven bevel) The ring sections look to be seated good . If the torque is right I'd say you'll be ok.  I'd look for a better set of rings though  ...
A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in
And how many want out
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you
Jesus Christ
The American G.I
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 06:00
I agree with JR.... Is the cap reversed?

Has to be pretty cheap rings, most have two or three screws on each side!  I'm surprised it will hold zero on a mussle loader!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 06:50
Personally, and no offense intended, I would throw those rings in the trash and get a set of talley's, or burris signature's. what you have there is just trouble looking for somewhere to happen. make sure the new rings are matched to your scope... 1" or 30mm ( which ever your scope is ) and enjoy the peace of mind and your precious hunting time!
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 14:31
The rings are made by Traditions and got several good reviews on a muzzle loader forum I'm on. What do you mean is the cap reversed? Can't it go on either way? The rings are see thru rings, and the reason I didn't mention that in the original post is I know I will get bashed for them. That being said, I really like them on this gun and don't want to switch back to regular rings. I normally think see thru rings are crap and wouldn't use them, but this gun has a really nice set of open sights I use for close shots. Normally see thru rings are too high for me, but they just feel great on this rifle. This is the only set I own, and I have no desire to ever use them on anything else, and many friends have them on rifles where they are horrible, but I really like them on this thing.

The only reason I don't have Burris Signature Zee rings on this, is the fact that they don't make see thru rings for it. Otherwise I'd have them. I just don't want to go to a set of regular rings on this thing.
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 17:28
slowr1der,

I fail to see a porblem in the photos.  It looks like the edge of the rings was not machined paralel with the bore of the rings.  If the screws are secure, you are fine.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 18:33
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

The rings are made by Traditions and got several good reviews on a muzzle loader forum I'm on. What do you mean is the cap reversed? Can't it go on either way? The rings are see thru rings, and the reason I didn't mention that in the original post is I know I will get bashed for them. That being said, I really like them on this gun and don't want to switch back to regular rings. I normally think see thru rings are crap and wouldn't use them, but this gun has a really nice set of open sights I use for close shots. Normally see thru rings are too high for me, but they just feel great on this rifle. This is the only set I own, and I have no desire to ever use them on anything else, and many friends have them on rifles where they are horrible, but I really like them on this thing.

The only reason I don't have Burris Signature Zee rings on this, is the fact that they don't make see thru rings for it. Otherwise I'd have them. I just don't want to go to a set of regular rings on this thing.
Simply the cap, if spum 180 might line up better with the lower half.  if its holding zero and your happy then leave it be!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 18:38

Someone has already noted this ; it looks like the bottom mounting flat is not machined parallel with the bore-center of the rings. 

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic