OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox and Vortex Viper Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox and Vortex Viper Scopes
    Posted: October/25/2010 at 21:51
I'm looking at both the Minox 3-9X40 and the Vortex Viper 2-7X32.

No one around carries either scope.

How do they compare? Which is best in low light?

Does the Minox have an etched recticle?

Thanks
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 23:17
The Minox will edge out the Viper but the Viper is still a worthy contender. I would give the low light advantage to the Minox, the Minox compares close to my Zeiss conquest in the low light department, with a SLIGHT edge going to the Zeiss (for my eyes). As far as not being able to find anyone who carries these scopes, scroll to the top of this page, and where it says - "the opticstalk forum by SWFA" , click on there, hold on tight and enjoy the ride - next stop -scope-ville!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 23:18
I believe the Minox reticle is wire
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 23:25
Heres what I know about Minox, admittedly, not much. They use Schott glass - same as Zeiss. They are German owned and designed but manufactured here in the U.S. I looked through one at my local dealer. It was very nice. I wouldnt be scared to buy one if I was in the market.
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 01:10
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

The Minox will edge out the Viper but the Viper is still a worthy contender. I would give the low light advantage to the Minox, the Minox compares close to my Zeiss conquest in the low light department, with a SLIGHT edge going to the Zeiss (for my eyes). As far as not being able to find anyone who carries these scopes, scroll to the top of this page, and where it says - "the opticstalk forum by SWFA" , click on there, hold on tight and enjoy the ride - next stop -scope-ville!

I buy all my scopes from SWFA Big Smile

Just like to be able to look through them before i buy.

No one beats SWFA's service and prices!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 01:34
This is an apples-to-ranges comparison since the configurations are different.

Between these two scopes, Minox will definitely be better in low light.

ILya
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 02:30
I have the Minox ZA-3 3x9-40 and the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.  In my opinion I would buy the Conquest unless you have found a really good deal on the Minox.  I like just about everything better on the Conquest except the Minox is a little smaller and a little lighter.  I also have a Viper 2-7x32 with C3 reticle and I like it a lot.  However, it's quite a bit different than the Minox and Conquest.  Not really a fair comparison.  Maybe check out the Nitrex TR Two in 2-10x42 (supposedly the same scope as Weaver Super Slam).  Nitrex is offering a $100 rebate on it.  Sightron is also offering a $75 rebate on their SII Big Sky scopes.  SWFA sells the SII BS 3-9x42 for $320.  Most other places sell it for $380.  With the $75 rebate it's only $245 from SWFA, so that's definitely worth a look. 

Lots of good deals out there right now on scopes in the $200 - $500 range.  No need to pay full price at the moment unless you have your heart set some on something in particular. 
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 12:45
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya
in which areas do you feel the viper performs better? (assuming there are any)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 13:10
Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

ILya

Viper is smaller, lighter and cheaper.  It can be mounted lower and, for close range use, it has wider field of view at 2x.

I also prefer the C3 reticle to the simple plex in the Minox.  However, Minox should be available with #4 reticle pretty soon and that will probably make it my top pick for a hunting scope in the $400 range.

ILya

J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 13:20

Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

ILya

Viper is smaller, lighter and cheaper.  It can be mounted lower and, for close range use, it has wider field of view at 2x.

I also prefer the C3 reticle to the simple plex in the Minox.  However, Minox should be available with #4 reticle pretty soon and that will probably make it my top pick for a hunting scope in the $400 range.

ILya

When you say it will be your top pick for a hunting scope in the 400 dollar range, is that because of the #4 recticle?

Do you think its on par with the conquest?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 13:24
I think Minox is largely on par with the Conquest.  Both have their strengths and weakness.

With #4 reticle, I think Minox would edge ahead in my eyes as an allround piece (assuming price does not go up).

See this article:

ILya

J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 16:02
Well i think i'm going to order the Minox Big Grin

I like trying new stuff.
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 14:19
Minox on the way.

I will give you guys a review. The only scope i have to compare it to is a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40 and a Leupy VX-3 my buddy has.

skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 15:44
Should 'best' both of those.......I cant wait for the #4 reticle to be available.

Edited by skywalker - October/27/2010 at 15:48
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 16:42
Hoping to get my hands on a 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest to compare it to.

Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 20:54
I am interested to hear what you think of the edge clarity on the Minox.  I bothers me on mine.  That's one of the main reasons why I prefer my Conquest 3-9x40.  I also prefer the plex reticle on the Conquest.  Of course not everyone has the same preferences when it comes to plex reticles...
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 23:20
Vermin93, I'm with you  on the Zeiss reticle, there is none finer IMO. But the Minox isn't that bad. I have heard some people are having issues with edge to edge clarity, I must have got a good one - no issues there.
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 01:39
Does the minox recticle turn brown in low light like other cheaper scopes with wire recticles?

Mine should be here Friday.

Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 02:02
No, it does not turn brown. I don't like it as much as the Conquest reticle because it's a tad too thick in the center for my taste. To my eyes the Conquest plex reticle is just right. My biggest beef with the Minox is poor edge clarity. Maybe mine is a lemon, which is why I'd like to hear what you think about yours when you get it.
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:07
I'll give you a review tomorrow evening. I'll have some range time and some low light testing with it after tomorrow evening.

I think that is a complaint with some of the older Minox scopes (first ones out). I've read a few edge clarity complaints, and i've read some reviews that made the scope sound outstanding and as good or better than the conquest.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic