OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What to get for AR platform?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawk45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to get for AR platform?
    Posted: October/25/2010 at 17:30
I've been really thinking the way I want to setup my 16" AR.  Right now I have a red dot on it but I want to do some precision target shooting with it also.  I'm really not sure if I want to go with a low power or high power option.  I probably won't shoot more than 300 yards and would be shooting for groups.. but most will be at 100 since that range is the closest to my house.  Also, I wanted something around around $300 but could go up a little more to $400 to get a versitile scope.  Here are a few scopes I've been researching but again.. I've been all over the board on this one.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 or 50
Nikon M-223 2-8x32
I think the Burris XTR 1-4 is nice but too much $$ and not sure 4x would do well for shooting small groups.

You help is appreciated.
Thanks,
John
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 22:55
I wanted that exact viper vortex i think it is one of the best deals at that price range.. Only bad thing is if you want the wide duplex or mildot they are $400 instead of the $250 sale price.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 07:30
the 6.5 is a little high on the low end for me I would personally get the 4-12 Viper rather than the other.  For out to 300 it would be plenty.  Heck even 3-9 would be better than the 6.5 unless it is strickly range use only I don't think you'll be happy with the 6.5-20
hawk45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawk45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 09:16
Thanks for the reply guys. 

SVT I think I'm on the same wave length.  Actually I think I've decided to go with a 1-4 or 1-5 power and use my other bolt rifles for further ranges over 300yds.  Here is a link to that post after some research.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 09:46
Be advised, most 16" ARs are not capable of great precision and accuracy.  Don't fall too deep into the rabbit hole that is bench optics on a field gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hawk45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawk45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 09:50
100% agree and great advice.  This is why I'm deciding to go with a lower magnification and compact optic.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by hawk45 hawk45 wrote:

Thanks for the reply guys. 

SVT I think I'm on the same wave length.  Actually I think I've decided to go with a 1-4 or 1-5 power and use my other bolt rifles for further ranges over 300yds.  Here is a link to that post after some research.

I would wait for the SS 1-4.  use the red dot you have til then. you won't regret the wait.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 12:39
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Be advised, most 16" ARs are not capable of great precision and accuracy.  Don't fall too deep into the rabbit hole that is bench optics on a field gun.

thats debatable, ive seen people qualifying out past 500 yards with stock iron sights.
hawk45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawk45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 12:51

Grim and SVT bring up a good points.  Optics are great but they aren't going to make the shots for you.  Familiarity (sp?) with your tool and practice is what's going to make the shots count in the end. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 12:56
I have qualled with an M16A2 out to 500 yards; however, "qualifying" is far, far removed from precision and accuracy.

Granted, many 1,000 yard shooters run AR15s, but they ain't M4 clones with 16" barrels.

My point was simple: most M4s (or variants) are not precision rifles (.75MOA or so) and their purpose should dictate the optic.  I'm not calling anyone's AR a POS and I readily admit that Wilson Combat and Les Baer and ARPerformance makes ARs that are indeed precise and accurate; however, "most" ARs are not - nor are they meant to be.

I would agree that an SS1-4 is a great choice.  If it is to be a 1,000 yard gun, that is a different conversation with entirely different recommendations.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 19:21
i tried a 1-4 on my AR and  well i hated it a 3-9 worked way better for me  plus i like to see the shot on the target rather than having to  use binos or a spotting scope.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 19:44
My 5 favorite optics on ARs are:

Tactical/Home protection
Trijicon ACOG 4x
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24

General use and hunting
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40

Long range shooting /range use
Bushnell 3200 4-12x40 DOA
Bushnell 6500 2-16x42 DOA

I have no use for any optic on a rifle shooting a centerfire rifle cartridge that doesn't have a high end of at least 4x. Love those dot sights on 9mm carbines..............
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
K_NINE_KILLER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_NINE_KILLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 12:18
I would want something in the 2-7x category at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic