OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Not so practical exercise in Mil Dot Ranging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not so practical exercise in Mil Dot Ranging
    Posted: October/24/2010 at 10:48
I came up with a decent exercise for people to practice ranging with a mil dot.

I found the hardest part of all of it was actually getting consistent at measuring in 0.1 mils. To remedy this I drew a mil dot retical  on my cad program and printed it out on a transparency. To check myself I also drew out a hash mark system with smaller hashes scaled to .1 mils at the bottom of it. They are both the same scale and on the same paper. I then went about laying the transparency over varying shaped and sized objects printed on paper. I would use the standard mil dot to scale the object and then check myself with the finner scale I had made. The idea was to get myself used to visualizing the scale over and over. Now it is not the same as holding a scope steady on something at range, that takes practice in itself, but I was able to do hrs of practice learning how to use the mil scale at lunch breaks and just sitting around in my living room.

I honestly feel if someone can get to the point they can accurately measure an object to 0.1 mils then the math part becomes the easiest part of it. 
Gerald Baker
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 13:58
I wonder what kind of looks you might get from local law enforcement if you taped the transparency inside your windshield and started "practicing" while driving around town? Big Smile
Reaction time is a factor...
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 14:49
lol that would be funny especially if I made a big one.
Gerald Baker
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 19:46
The hardest part about milling in reality is finding something you know the height or width when not in the city or suburbia.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 20:14
So true. Thats what lasers are for, but I like the practice just in case.
Gerald Baker
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 01:07
I am about to embark on the milling experience. As soon as my new TMR reticule arrives I will be "playing" with someting similiar!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic