OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swaro PH vs AV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaro PH vs AV
    Posted: October/24/2010 at 10:30
Is the older Swarovski PH better (clearer, brighter) than the Swarovski AV?  I'm looking at a Swarovski PH 2-10x42 on Samplelist.com and wondering how'd it compare to the AV.  Or should I go with a Meopta or Zeiss?

I do know one thing - yesterday afternoon I was shooting with a VX3 3-10x42 and a rifle with a Nikon Monarch and the Nikon Monarch was much clearer than the VX3.  To see my bullet holes, I used the Monarch on the same power.  I want something better than the Monarch.

Your suggestions?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 12:04
Originally posted by muleymaddness muleymaddness wrote:

Is the older Swarovski PH better (clearer, brighter) than the Swarovski AV?  I'm looking at a Swarovski PH 2-10x42 on Samplelist.com and wondering how'd it compare to the AV.  Or should I go with a Meopta or Zeiss?

I do know one thing - yesterday afternoon I was shooting with a VX3 3-10x42 and a rifle with a Nikon Monarch and the Nikon Monarch was much clearer than the VX3.  To see my bullet holes, I used the Monarch on the same power.  I want something better than the Monarch.

Your suggestions?

Clearer/brighter, all equal, the AV and PH should be about the same. One difference between the AV and PH is the PH is usually FFP reticle.

What's your scope budget?

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 12:56
I'd like to keep it under $1,000 and would like to not spend the $1,000 if I didn't have to.  At the same time, I know the Leupold will do the job - so I do appreciate good optics or I wouldn't be looking to replace the Leupold.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 13:46
Worlds between the Swaro and a loopy, get the Swaro, no question.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 13:56

muleymaddness,

Recently I became very interested in purchasing a Z5 5-25X52.  I spent about an hour on the phone calling every store in Oregon from a list I received from Swaro.  That let's you know I am not trying to bash something because I can't afford it.  If I find a store with one in stock,  I will go there even if it is four hours drive.  With that said......

When I first bought my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 scope for the .257 Weatherby which had not arrived yet, I took it to the range prior to installing it.  There is a scope by Swarovski with a spelling something like Beoitch.  (Please forgive the spelling.)  The scope was a 3-10X or maybe a 3 1/2-10X.  The owner allowed me to fiddle with the adjustment for my vission. 

I pointed them at the 300 yard targets with the power ring set on 10X.   The targets have red lines maybe a 1/16" wide and one inch apart.  With the Bushnell I could easily see the lines.  With the Swaro the lines would fade in and out, but mostly out.  I don't know if it was a PH or AV or what.
Ihope this info is helpful.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 19:35
The av or american variable (leaf erector springs as I recall) is quite a bit different than the pv or professional variable (coil set up like the z6). The pv usually has a 30 mm tube and is ffp. The pv is more in the z6 catagory and I think the sample has one for about 1k which is a good buy and quite a bit more scope than the nikon or leo.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic