OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Suggestions for Sav Mod 99A?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zelek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Suggestions for Sav Mod 99A?
    Posted: November/19/2005 at 12:11

I've got a late 70's Mod 99A .308 with a peep sight.  I realized a couple of weeks ago while deer hunting that I need a scope as the peep sight is just not adequate during low light conditions.  So...for such a relatively short little rifle used primarily for hunting whitetails in northern MN, what would you guys suggest??  Most shots are taken at less than 200 yards, but there are times when a 300 yard shot presents itself. 

I was thinking about the new Leupold fixed power scopes....maybe a FX-II 6x36mm or something like that.  Anyone have any other ideas?? 

Edited by zelek
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2005 at 14:04

I love these guns!!! I have a model 99F in .308 got it with only a few boxes of rounds shot through it and then it sat for years so its in mint condition. I decided to scope it a few years ago and I went with the Pentax Whitetails Unlimited (mid range Pentax) in 3-9x40.

I love the scope. It is kind of strange looking in fact it looks like a flashlight LOL but it is a very good scope. When I ordered mine, Pentax had Burris make the body of the scope and then used Pentax glass. I have been told that now Burris makes the whole scope for Pentax.

There is nothing wrong with a fixed power scope but I think that 6X might be a little high in magnification, good at the 300 yards but what if a shot presents itself at say 75 or 100 yards? Personally I like a variable. Where I hunt out west I rarely go above 5X on magnification but its nice to know that it can go higher if needed.

Do some searches on this forum for brands and scopes. Unless you’re attached to the Leupold name (I have friends that are) I think you can do better for the same or even less money. I am not taking anything away from Leupold but the rest of the industry has caught up and in some cases surpassed then in optical quality and Leupold seems to charge a higher price. Don’t get me wrong, they have the best warranty out there, but I'd rather take my chances on a less then ideal warranty (never needed one yet) and better optics.

A couple scopes in various price ranges come to mind:

Burris Full Field - in my opinion about the best buy out there for $200

Weaver Grand Slam- this scope rocks for the money. I compared it to the Leupold VariXII (not new VX series) and I was beyond impressed, the clarity and overall optical image was great. Some people don’t like the look of the scope because of the power adjustment ring, I do and the oversized ring works great with gloved hands for cold weather. Some don’t like it because it says Weaver which made it name in crap optics BUT this is not the same Weaver we all remember, this scope can hold its own against anything out there in its price range. I loved the scope so much I also bought the Grand Slam binoculars.

Sightron SII - Never looked through one, but they come highly recommended on this forum so definitely worth checking out.

Bushnell 4200 Elite - Most people on this forum will agree that this scope is great. I think it surpasses anything in the Leupold line up and does it for a little less money. I compared this to my Zeiss Conquest and it is very close, with the Conquest getting the slight edge when it got dark. By dark, I mean I compared both of them side by side and both will provide a hunter the ability to take those difficult shots at dawn or dusk and actually you can see things through the scope long after legal hunting hours.

Zeiss Conquest - this is about the best buy out there. For the money (still not cheap, but still obtainable) I don’t think you can find a scope out there that compares until you start spending around a $1,000.

Again, I am not Leupold bashing but I tried to compare them to the others since many people are familiar with the Leupold line. Again Leupold makes a fine scope but I think if you do some research you will find there are some other really good choices out there

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2005 at 17:04

I have always liked handy little scopes to match these rifles.  For the ranges you are talking about, I would go with something along the lines of a 1-4x20.

ranburr

zelek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zelek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2005 at 23:34

Thanks for the response guys--much appreciated!! 

I've now had the chance to sit down and read through a few pages of posts.  It's absolutely amazing how much info is on this site!!  I came across koshkins response to a similar question.  Here is what he said:

"If I understand this correctly, you will be putting this scope on a Savage 99, right?  If that is the case I would go with a S2 4x32.  For big game hunting, you really do not need anything with more magnification than that.  Savage 99 stock is set up for iron sights, so it makes sense to try to keep you scope axis as close to bore axis as possible." 

That's Interesting.  So as I gain a little more experience shooting with a scope, how far away do you think I could effectively and consistently hit deer sized targets with a 4x32 Sightron S2 or IOR??

Edited by zelek
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 16:59

A lot depends on the cover and stuff, but I think getting a steady rest will have much more effect on your shooting in the field than the magnification of the scope.  Various sniping weapons with 4x scopes until comparatively recently have been used very effectively on human targets out to 800-1000meters.  It is not the same as hunting since wounding an enemy is a perfectly reasonable option whereas you do not want to just wound a deer.  However, I would feel perfectly comfortable with a 4x scope out to 300 yards on a deer size target.

Ilya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 17:03

Oh, as I have said previously, IOR 4x32 is an excellent scope that would be my pick.  Sightron is cheaper and almost as good, but IOR is also available with a 4a reticle which works a little better in low light.  There are other 4s scopes for less money also, as well as some low range variables that would work well:

Burris Short Mag 4x20, Fullfield II 1.75-5x30 and Signature 1.75-5x32

Weaver V3 1-3x20 and K2.5 2.5x20

Leupold FX-II 2.5x20 and 4x33

Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20

There are probably others, but these are the ones that come to mind. 

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic