OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a .22-250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spyider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a .22-250
    Posted: November/18/2005 at 18:56
I just bought my remington 700 VS .22-250 and want to buy a scope.  I will be hunting for all kinds of varmint like ground hogs, prarie dogs, coyotes, ect.  From what I have read, Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, and Sightron seem to be the most popular scopes.  I will be doing a little of each, going through thick brush, and some not so thick, and no brush at all.  I want to make killing shots as far as I can, 500-550 yards perhaps.  I want to know what scope, scope mounts, and scope rings I could buy for $400-500 range.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2005 at 16:47
The only thing good in brush is a guide with a machete. At 500 yds. prarie dogs need high magnification and a thin recticle. Any major manuf. scope in your price range will do the job. Which one is better is a topic of endless dispute in this forum. As to rings and mounts, go with the new stuff, Talley, Warne, instead of the traditional Redfield types.
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2005 at 10:55
recently bought a kimber longmaster vt 22-250.  a bushnell 4200 6-24x with the 1/4 dot sits on top.  using it on paper and could not be happier.  stays in adjustment and shots are exactly repeatable.  do not believe base height reccomendations.  had to try many to get closest fit to barrel w/o touching.  you won't be hunting those critters in thick brush, and those are just too many demands for one gun.   did not get mine for varmints but have changed mind.  if had to buy today would get the mil-dot.  do not get a scope under $400 real cost as the difference in the quailty of the glass is mindblowing.  remember you want to hunt small things at great distance.   the best scope will be a small expense compared to the cost of the trip itself.  don't underbuy as you'll regret it.  btw; talley makes a fabulous one piece aluminum base ring combo, wish i could have gotten for my gun.
Spyider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spyider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2005 at 11:54
Well actually, what I meant by thick brush is by walking through it to get to my destination.
joed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2005 at 06:52

Someone on here got me interested in a Leupold VX2 6x18 target scope.  I just ordered one.  My first varible target scope.   I'm not big on varibles when it comes to long range shooting but I'll try one.   I really wanted one of the competition scopes in a fixed 25x but price is prohibitive on that one.   My second choice was the 12x fixed power but I want more scope then that on a .22-250.

I'll see how many misses I end up getting by using a varible.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2005 at 06:56
Originally posted by joed joed wrote:

I'm not big on varibles when it comes to long range shooting but I'll try one.   I really wanted one of the competition scopes in a fixed 25x but price is prohibitive on that one.   My second choice was the 12x fixed power but I want more scope then that on a .22-250.

I'll see how many misses I end up getting by using a varible.

Why wouldn't you WANT a variable scope??... Change in POI??

Certainly has more options than a fixed.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
joed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2005 at 10:18

Cheaptrick, you hit it right on the head.  The change in poi is what turned me against varibles.   Also more places for things to go bad.

When I got my first varmint rifle I had a Weaver 3x9 varible on it the first year.  There were an awful lot of misses that first year.  Over the winter I invested in a Leupold M8 24x fixed power scope.   From then on misses were very few.  Over 26 years of using that rifle I have 845 kills and 9 misses on groundhogs.  It's hard to argue those stats.

I also have a Savage 10FP in .223, that rifle wears a Leupold M8 36x fixed power scope.  You have to see it shoot to believe it, one ragged hole at 100 yards, consistently.

Many people say the varibles have gotten better, maybe they have.  But the fixed power scopes always perform.   Those two Leupolds are over 25 years old and still perform flawlessly.  

Look at Leupolds competition scopes, fixed power.   I'm a firm believer in fixed power.   There is some getting used to these scopes though.  Takes a bit to get on target at the higher power but once you learn how to do it things get easier.

I'm not totally against varibles, I have 2 hunting rifles with 3x9 Leupolds.  They work fine, but for bigger targets.   I just find it easier to hit small targets using a fixed power scope.

JoeD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2005 at 14:16

Yeah, second or rear focal plane retical scopes can be a little fickle at times. They have a factory set magnifaction that only allows a guy to properly range a target at that power setting.

That's why I'm a big advocate of FFP reticals. 

Deermanster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deermanster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2005 at 17:22
I have recently bought a Nikon Buckmaster  4.5-14 mil dot for my Savage Model 12 FVSS in 22-250 it works great

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2005 at 17:25

Originally posted by Deermanster Deermanster wrote:

I have recently bought a Nikon Buckmaster  4.5-14 mil dot for my Savage Model 12 FVSS in 22-250 it works great

Does that scope have the side focus?? Is it a new scope??

How does the BM compare to the other scopes you have owned??

Thanks in advance.

308 encore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 encore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 09:14
I just bought the same buckmaster for my 223 encore.
1 Shot Stop
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 10:43

A good variable such as a Nightforce benchrest or a Leo variable 8x32 does not have a change in poi at different powers or bench rest shooters would never use them. (although most of the time they do leave them on 1 power setting). Personally I love fixed power scopes also, because the eye becomes accustomed to seeing a certaing sized object in it. A 12x fixed Leo target bows to no Variable at 12x and is useful in almost any situation. The varII 6x18 Leo is smaller and lighter than most of it's competition in this power range and has no deviation in poi=poa while changing powers in the model that I use.  Consider, if your rifle and handloads has a random statistical standard deviation in it's group size of 1/2" at 100 yards, any poi change due to power range setting would be due more to the thickness of the recticle than the mechanics. In this scope 1/4" dot subtends almost an inch at 100 yards and 1/4" at 18x at 100 yards.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic