OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Some Short & Mid-Range Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Short & Mid-Range Hunting
    Posted: October/22/2010 at 00:19
I have been hunting primarily for a muley buck.  But I also have a couple of buck antelope permits too.  I hunted with the 7mm SAUM XP-100 on Monday, and shot this coyote at just over 300 yards-162 A-Max did a number on him. 

On Tuesday I saw this antelope buck, and he is a good one for the area this year. 
I had to make several crawl stalks and then back out as I ran out of cover.  Shot him at just over 200 yards. 
Wow, the 130 Berger (6.5 Leopard) just piled him up on the spot. 
It did the same thing with the doe antelope I shot on the SP hunt just outside of Casper.

Spotting scope is the Vortex Razor HD-I really, really like this scope  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I had 2 1/2 days for muleys this year.  First day, I saw the largest forkhorn I have ever seen in the wild.  It was an easy shot @ 161 yards, but I just watched him through the scope for about 10 minutes. 
For the next two days I second guessed myself on letting him go. 
On Wednesday I went back and looked for that really large 2x2 (forkhorn) I saw on Monday, but couldn't find him.  Wednesday was the last day of the season, and I knew that I could only hunt through noon.  
I passed a real young one early on this morning. 
I spotted this boy at about 550 yards away but had no place to make a shot. 
I thought he had his back to me and was not worrying to much about making myself small (which is difficult to do). 
I found a small alley way that would let the bullet fly free of brush.
Wouldn't you know it, he had spotted me.  
I guess he didn't have his back to me the whole time after all. 
Just by the way he acted, I assume he had been pursued this season already.  He was 430 yards from me, and then disappeared going up a draw. 
I was hoping he would come out on top where I could see him.  I pre-ranged the area I believed/hoped him to show up at. 
He didn't seem real spooked, so I felt like I had a chance.  I loaded the  6.5 Leopard (6.5-270WSM - Norma brass) set up and dialed 7MOA, set the parallax, and waited. Somewhere between 3-5 minutes passed when he showed up where I thought he would.  I re-lasered him @ 496 yards.  I was already prone, so I checked the level and wind and made the shot. 
I saw him go down in the scope. 
This is the third big game animal I have taken with the 6.5 Leopard specialty pistol that Mac's Gunworks built for me.  The 130 Berger leaving the muzzle right at 3100 FPS is amazing to watch on game. 
Since I wanted to take pics I packed everything to the Buck.  I packed out all the meat (deboned) plus all of my gear, but the Black's Creek pack once again handled it all well.  It may have been 496 yards to the deer but there were several draws that caused me to burn some extra calories though   
I have a couple of doe antelope permits, another buck antelope tag, and a elk tag.  We will see if I get to all of them or not.

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 06:12
was all of the hunting done near casper then?

congrats on all three by the wayExcellent

that antelope picture would be well served by being entered into swfa's photo contest. makes me feel like going home to big piney seeing scenery like that.

Edited by pyro6999 - October/22/2010 at 06:16
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 07:21

Ernie, great story, pictures and hunt.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 08:00
  +10!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 08:17
That is awesome, great hunting. I have had my eye on building a 7SAUM or a 300WSM. I have talked to a guy (can't remember his name ) via emails about a build. I just would like some trigger time behind one before I build one just to see if I like it Like I think I will.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 10:10
Outstanding.  Thank you for the pictures and the tale.  I love a great story with a happy ending...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 10:22
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

was all of the hunting done near casper then?

congrats on all three by the wayExcellent

that antelope picture would be well served by being entered into swfa's photo contest. makes me feel like going home to big piney seeing scenery like that.

Hunting was done about a 45 minute drive from Gillette.
I don't know anything about the photo contest.  I actually have some better pictures.
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 10:24
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

That is awesome, great hunting. I have had my eye on building a 7SAUM or a 300WSM. I have talked to a guy (can't remember his name ) via emails about a build. I just would like some trigger time behind one before I build one just to see if I like it Like I think I will.

So, you are considering building a specialty pistol in one of those chamberings?
Cool!
If you ever have any questions about SP's give me a call, I would be glad to help.
307-257-7431
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 10:49
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

that antelope picture would be well served by being entered into swfa's photo contest.

I found the rules for the contest, and I do not believe I qualify.
But thanks for the heads up though.
Ernie

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 11:54
Great Pics And Story! Thanks For Sharing Ernie!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 16:42
Well done man. Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2010 at 11:36
Nice job on those guys, that rig of yours looks like a hoot, and you sure have some nice gear there.  Worked out of Rawlins and all over that area for about 8 months and I sure do miss that area and the wildlife, those pics take me back, thanks for the trip down memory lane.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 19:51
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic