OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st custom rifle, need a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st custom rifle, need a scope
    Posted: October/19/2010 at 19:37
280ai, Coleman rifle.  Anything from whitetail to moose and in between.  Hunt in SouthEast and MidWest.  $650 budget.  I have a Minox Za5 (3-15X42) and thought about putting it on my new rifle and getting something for my 25-06 (predator/deer) that now has the Za5 on it, something like a Vortex Viper.  The 280ai will be my 'final' rifle as my son is about to take over the 25-06.  I really do not like the 50mm objectives as they are too big in my thoughts.  42, 44mm something along that line with some magnification (at most 15X, really want at least a 12X). Thoughts?  

Edited by skywalker - October/19/2010 at 19:39
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 19:41
Vortex Viper 4-12x40  http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10820.aspx
Great scope and lifetime transferable warranty. 
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 21:25
Yeah, I thought about that one for the 25-06 and putting the Za5 on my 280ai.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 22:31
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 22:37
SS 3-9, or Maybe the Burris SixX 2-12x40 with the #4 reticle.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 23:50
Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x44
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 06:18
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 07:23
Why not go with what your familiar and happy with.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 07:56
I thought of that as well lucytuma........I like the Minox, just wandering what else might be out there.  That burris looks nice and so does the Elite 6500........too many choices.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 12:20
For the most versatility, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 would be difficult to beat.  That having been said, for a hunting rifle, Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x42 has a lot to recommend it: it is small, light, optically very good and the reticle set-up rocks.  If you really want a reticle that works in any light, it is worth a look.

ILya
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 13:30
is the trijicon similar to a conquest optically or more along the lines of a Swaro PH?  I have never used one.  Shots 400 yrds would seem a little far for that or am I 'off' on that thought?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 13:34
They are pretty close to the conquest. But the reticles put them in a class all alone.  A 400 yard shot on 9x would appear to be 45 yards away is all.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 13:38
I had a Kahles 3-9X42 that I never should have sold....I think that would be about perfect for this gun.......
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 13:49
These have real nice glass.  http://swfa.com/Meopta-4-12x40-Meostar-R1-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P8003.aspx

Downside is only 3" of eye relief.  My Meopta has the same and I run it on a 7mag and have never had a problem though. 

skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 13:49
Willl def look into the Trijicon........never seen one in person, nor know of anyone that has one.  I like the 'amber' triangle model.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 15:14
Originally posted by skywalker skywalker wrote:

is the trijicon similar to a conquest optically or more along the lines of a Swaro PH?  I have never used one.  Shots 400 yrds would seem a little far for that or am I 'off' on that thought?

Optically, it is close to Conquest.  Neither is as good as a Swaro PH. 

As far 400 yard shooting goes, that really depends on what you are are trying to shoot.  If the target is the size of a deer, that is more than enough.  Also, keep in mind that in low light, you will typically loose sight of the reticle well before you loose sight of your target.  With Trijicon, the reticle is always visible.

ILya
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 15:16
yeah, deer and mulies.  There is a swaro PH for $999 on the sample list, but my $650 budget is pushing it big time.  
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 22:33
I agree with the person who recomends the 2 1/2-16X42 Bushnell.  It has a constant 4" of eye relief and over forty feet field of view on 2 1/2X.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 23:32
I really like the trijicon scopes but I prefer the 2.5-10x56 over the 3-9x42 and while I know that you are not looking for one that large there is an advantage because even at 10x it will have a 5.6mm exit eye pupil and be very bright - max brightness being 7mm which you get with a 42mm objective at 6 power. I also notice a lot of difference in field of view between the 3x and the 2.5x much more so than what I seem to notice between the 9x and 10x.  Also well worth consideration in this price range is the 3-9x42 Super Sniper and while it is a tactical type scope it is very good glass and Kenton Ind could engrave the knobs in yards to correspond to the particular bullet and velocity you are working with which makes long distance shots really painless.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
wjpjr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjpjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 15:31

There was 2 of these ( the other was a mil-dot) I bought it yesterday !

It's a little more than your wanting to spend and it has a 50mm obj but !
You'll never look back if you get it ! I've never heard anyone say I wish I had bought a cheaper scope....

A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in
And how many want out
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you
Jesus Christ
The American G.I
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic