OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which binocs to choose-boy i’m confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which binocs to choose-boy i’m confused
    Posted: November/17/2005 at 17:32
I'm looking to upgrade from my $50-60 Bushnell/Tascos.  My main use will be whitetail hunting in the woods with some open field hunting.  I can spend $300-400.  I had read/researched the nikons, minox, weaver, leupold, & burris.  Now after a bit of reading of reading on the forum you folks have got me leaning toward the swift, carson, or minox, but the more I read the more confused I become. I don't have the money to buy 2-3 pairs & can't find anyone close who carries these brands.  HELP!!!!!!    Also, what are the advantages/dis-advantages of roof prism vs. porro prism.  Roof prisms seem to cost quite a bit more in comparable models.                    Thanks in advance,  Confused
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2005 at 20:20

Minox.  Roof is better suited for hunting.  Smaller, tougher , center focus, waterprof.  Roof is harder to manufacture, thus it cost more.

ranburr

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2005 at 20:58

Look for the stuff that is individual focus (IC) rather than center focus.  It is better made in that it has less to go wrong.  I am used to Nikon and Stiener, but would have no probelm with getting Minox. I have the Marine 7x50 Nikons and find them close to the Stieners that cost twice as much.  Try a serious camera store for the Nikons.  The camera store also stock up this time of year.

SWFA here is in line with all the big mail order camera stores and has a 110% price deal.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2005 at 23:30
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Look for the stuff that is individual focus (IC) rather than center focus.  It is better made in that it has less to go wrong.  I am used to Nikon and Stiener, but would have no probelm with getting Minox. I have the Marine 7x50 Nikons and find them close to the Stieners that cost twice as much.  Try a serious camera store for the Nikons.  The camera store also stock up this time of year.

SWFA here is in line with all the big mail order camera stores and has a 110% price deal.

I've got to disagree with almost everything on this post.  Pretty much every quality roof in the world is a center focus.  IF is more of a pain for the user and a savings for the manufacturerer.  Other than the top of the line models, most Nikons don't cut it as a hunting scope in the toughness department, not to mention the weight factor.  And the optics are disappointing in most of their models.  And finally, SWFA is way ahead of any camera store that I have looked at.  I would steer clear of most all camera stores, many deal in gray market merchandise, and few no anything about hunting optics. 

ranburr

Edited by ranburr
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 01:18
The only good roofs that are indificually focusing are Minox IF binoculars.  There are some very nice individually focusing military style porros out there though from Fujinon and IOR that will give nearly any top roof bino pretty good competition in the optics department.  They are however a bit bulkier.  I am not a big fan of Steiner personally, but I heard that Nighthunter XP porros are quite good, but also bulky.  Personally, I am used to individually focusing eyepieces, but I know a lot of people do not like them.

As for roof vs porro, I almost always go with porro because I am not bothered by extra bulk and optically porros are always better for the money.

Ilya
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 06:43

I have always had favorable opinions of the Pentax, Nikon and Wind River models in the price range you listed. I think all of them offer very good optics for the price plus you get the waterproofing aspect which, though not always needed, can be a confidence booster in some situations.

"Also, what are the advantages/dis-advantages of roof prism vs. porro prism.  Roof prisms seem to cost quite a bit more in comparable models"

Roof prism binoculars cost more to manufacture thus you end up paying more on the retail end. Roofs can be waterproofed though relatively easily and tend to be more compact in my opinion with a similarly sized porro. On the other hand porros tend to produce better image quality compared to roofs in the same price range. Handling between the two styles is also a big factor to consider with some folks preferring one style over another.

Edited by FrankD
Frank
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 10:30
Originally posted by ranburr ranburr wrote:

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

I've got to disagree with almost everything on this post.  Pretty much every quality roof in the world is a center focus.  IF is more of a pain for the user and a savings for the manufacturerer.  Other than the top of the line models, most Nikons don't cut it as a hunting scope in the toughness department, not to mention the weight factor.  And the optics are disappointing in most of their models.  And finally, SWFA is way ahead of any camera store that I have looked at.  I would steer clear of most all camera stores, many deal in gray market merchandise, and few no anything about hunting optics. 

ranburr

The IF focus lets you focus to each eye more like a pair of glasses.  The CF stuff makes you compromise between eyes.  Now, with  IF you normally only once in a while, you set the focus and leave it alone. There is no need to refocus each time.  The IF is more "robust" as you have no center focus shaft to get bent or ice up. There is less places for sand and salt air to get into.  Because you tune to each eye they are also less tiring.  The guys running around in inflateable rafts and MP-5's are not using center focus.

Now Nikon binoculars are much better made than their rifles scopes and are more in line with their lower camera optics. You can even get ED grade glass in the spoting scopes.  The rifle scopes are not even up to the FM-10 camera stuff and are made for a price point that sells. 

Face it most non camera stuff stinks, because nobody runs around publishing test reports against resolution charts. 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 13:38

My uncle has a IF Leupold binocular that he has had for quite some time.  EVERY time we are hunting together (at least 4-5 times per year) he bemoans how much he would really have prefered a center focus binocular like mine. (Unfortunately for him, he can't afford to buy another right now.) I just smile and enjoy the higher level of functionality my CF binocular affords me.

The diopter adjustment that almost every CF binocular in the world (and absoluetely every quality CF binocular) includes makes the "adjustment to each eye" argument a non-issue. Properly adjusted they are just as individual and comfortable for each eye. Chris even has a post "stickied" to this site on how to adjust your binocular to your eyes.

IF binoculars are O.K. if you are just going to be looking out over large expanses of open space.  They do not allow the hunter to adjust the point of focus so as to be able to concentrate on areas of heavy brush and to pick through that brush, looking for tell-tale signs of antler or small spots of fur, etc. To use military use of IF binoculars as an argument in their favor is rather deceptive as the military does not use optics for the same kinds of purposes or in the same kinds of conditions as do hunters and/or birders. They are, as indicated above, looking at things (generally tanks, people, artillery batteries, etc.) over large expanses of generally open territory. While military gear is decent, they are not known for insisting on always buying the very best quality. If they did, military surplus stuff (especially the "unissued, never used stuff") would not be so cheap, as it would have more demand placed upon it. Having said all that; It is interesting to note that quite a few soldiers serving in harms way today are carrying Steiner compact binoculars, none of which are IF.

IMO, in every conceivable condition encountered by the retail consumer CF binoculars are at least equal (and in the vast majority of cases they are far superior) to IF binoculars.  This is why almost nobody makes high quality IF roofs anymore. (Yes there are a handful of them but, they represent an overwhelming minority of the market.)

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 15:19

[/QUOTE] The IF focus lets you focus to each eye more like a pair of glasses.  The CF stuff makes you compromise between eyes.  Now, with  IF you normally only once in a while, you set the focus and leave it alone. There is no need to refocus each time.  The IF is more "robust" as you have no center focus shaft to get bent or ice up. There is less places for sand and salt air to get into.  Because you tune to each eye they are also less tiring.  The guys running around in inflateable rafts and MP-5's are not using center focus.

Now Nikon binoculars are much better made than their rifles scopes and are more in line with their lower camera optics. You can even get ED grade glass in the spoting scopes.  The rifle scopes are not even up to the FM-10 camera stuff and are made for a price point that sells. 

Face it most non camera stuff stinks, because nobody runs around publishing test reports against resolution charts. 

[/QUOTE]

I have never found an IF bino that was truly a set up and leave alone system.  I have always found them a pain to adjust.  A quality center focus is more than durable enough to handle any environment.  With the IF system, you have two units that can go out.  I can also tell you that from my past military experience, just because the military  uses a product doesn't mean anything.  The system calls for utilizing the lowest bidder that can meet spec.  From my perspective the top of the line Nikons binoculars are good.  But, the rest of their binos leave me wanting.  Their riflescopes are of good to vey good quality.  You can get ED glass from a lot of companies.  

ranburr   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic