OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Adjustments: Elevation changes windage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustments: Elevation changes windage
    Posted: October/17/2010 at 19:25
At this time I will not mention the brand of scope since I don't want to smear a good scope if it's another problem! When I adjust elevation it changes the windage a bunch, like an 1 1/2 at 100 yards. I ran it around until I finally got it sighted in 2 1/2 inches high at 100 and it groups well, just don't monkey with the adjustments. It wouldn't work well with target knobs would it?? Brand name scope with a good reputation and I took a lot of pains to get the reticle straight with the gun. Would a slight reticle cant do this much at 100 yds?
mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 19:47
It could, depending on the degree of cant and how much vertical adjustment you're making. One thing to try is to put your rifle in a vise and run your elevation up and down and check that your crosshairs stay on a plumb line hung 100yds away. If it strays off make sure both your scope isn't canted relative to the rifle and the rifle is level.
mpk
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 20:02
When you adjust the elevation how many clicks is a windage change of 1 1/2 inches? And what does the windage adjustment do? And please do not take this the wrong way and since you did not tell us this, but from behind your scope where is your elevation knob and where is your windage knob?

Also are your rings aligned and how tight did you tighten them?
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 20:44
Just 2 or 3 clicks can do this. Yes the scope is mounted with the elevation on top and the windage on the right hand side. The windage also effects the elevation. It all started when I tried to zero the scope it wouldn't come over the last 1/2 inch to the right so I went way past what should have been and it jumped up 2 inches in elevation. I had it on a 300 Wby last year and it worked great, this year I put it on my 300 Winchester. If it wouldn't hold zero I would think it came loose inside, but it stays put after you finally get it zero'd. The scope isn't in a bind, but I didn't lap the rings. I also had a VXII on it before this scope and it worked well. 
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 21:02
Is the reticle mounted level to the bore? 
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 08:35
I guess I should ask a new question>   How much impact would be noticed at 100 yards with a slightley out of level reticle?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 08:43
You should not have this type of a problem, even if the scope is mounted slightly at a cant to the bullet arc. Not at 100yds anyway.
You seem to have taken enough time to mount it correctly.
I would say the scope is toast for some reason or another.

Try running the elevation and windage adjustments all the way up down (left right) a couple of times. Maybe the tension springs are stuck or who knows, worth a try.

Edited by 8shots - October/18/2010 at 08:45
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 08:50
I'd go ahead and send it back and get a trade. You said its a good name brand so you shouldnt' have any issues with an exchange.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 08:51
Thank you all!
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 22:26
I surmise that the scope is over adjusted , and changing the elevation allows the erector assembly to follow the inside diameter of the tube thus causing windage changes inadvertently
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 01:30
Originally posted by Smokey53119 Smokey53119 wrote:

I surmise that the scope is over adjusted , and changing the elevation allows the erector assembly to follow the inside diameter of the tube thus causing windage changes inadvertently

Good call Excellent

Please check if your scope has enough windage and/or elevation adjustment after zeroing. In other words center your scope windage and elevation before zeroing your scope. Do this by counting total number of clicks and then dialing half that number.

Now zero the rifle. If you need to dial more then a 1/4 of the total clicks of your scope in any one direction, it could be the problem as described by Smokey.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 06:55
I have observed that sometimes new scopes are a lttle stiff in the turrert adjustments.  This stiffness can make the vertical adjustment move slightly horizontally as well when elevation changes are made.  As the scope is used and broken in, often this issue will correct itself.  This is true even of some expensive scopes when new.
CDR3
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 13:32
Originally posted by Sandracer Sandracer wrote:

At this time I will not mention the brand of scope since I don't want to smear a good scope if it's another problem! When I adjust elevation it changes the windage a bunch, like an 1 1/2 at 100 yards. I ran it around until I finally got it sighted in 2 1/2 inches high at 100 and it groups well, just don't monkey with the adjustments. It wouldn't work well with target knobs would it?? Brand name scope with a good reputation and I took a lot of pains to get the reticle straight with the gun. Would a slight reticle cant do this much at 100 yds?
I hate to admit it, but my problem with this scope was a pine needle between my barrel and bedding just forward of the recoil lug! I found this after deer season when I took everything apart for cleaning. It zero'd right in afterward!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic