OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

catseye or night eye or what

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: catseye or night eye or what
    Posted: October/17/2010 at 14:53
I would like to be looking for advise on a Zeiss or SWFA SS or the like,,,but I can't afford'em.
I am looking at a BSA Catseye 3.5-10x50,  or a Hawke night eye 3-9x50, with IR.
Never used illuminated ret before, but i would  like to try'em.  Night shooting at hogs at 150 yds or less . I have two older BSA scopes, and have had no complaints. They are low power, and are very bright and clear, and far as I can tell.  I've no experience with the Hawke's, but read a lot of good comments on them. My limit is $150. If I don't like it, I haven't lost a lot.

Thanks in advance for any input.  Gary
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 20:14

Welcome to OT! ...I hunt alot of hog at night too, and IMHO, I have found the IR's to be more hinderance than help.. I'm assuming you are looking at the 50's for light gathering, but if you are using a light anyway, I would strongly recommend one of the vortex vipers that SWFA has on sale right now... I dont think you would be sorry. http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx or if you can swing it http://swfa.com/Vortex-35-10x50-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10819.aspx

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 21:19
I agree with Tman. Unless you buy a good (expensive) scope. Illuminated reticles are generally too bright and you cant see past them well at night.  You might look instead for a scope with "thick" crosshairs. Leupold calls theirs Heavy Duplex. Lots of shotgun/black powder have thick crosshairs. Im not sure if you can find anything like that in your price range though.
GWTX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 16:41
Thanks for the replies, though I thought there would be more. I bought the Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 with "AccuRange" reticle(no IR).  Looks real good so far, right now with the bright moon.
I also ordered a "Hawglight Destroyer" in red.   Thanks for your input.
GWTX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 13:30
The new scope and light are working out well.  I can make out deer at 200 yds after my eyes adjust. 100 to 130 yds  is really good.  I'm happy with this setup for my purposes. I'm curious as to how the white hawglight would look. I'm accustomed to a brinkmann 2meg cp spotlight, and the eyes look different with the red light.  Don't know if I'm curious enough to spend $117 to find out.
There are areas where it is a little difficult to see the crosshairs, but not too bad. I'll find someone with a IR scope sometime, and see what they look like.  I really like the "accu range" reticle on the redfield scope.    Thanks again,   Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic