OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Crimping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimping
    Posted: October/17/2010 at 14:00
I have a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
I am reloading 300 rum, using Nosler .308 spitzer, after crimping, the bullet still seems lose, I'm just curious if anyone else has run into this issue. I am thinking this may be due to the fact my reloader is mounted to a weak table that has alot of give when putting pressure on the handle. Is the bullet not bieng crimped properly a possible safety factor ? I dropped a reloaded round at the range and it actually sent the bullet down into the casing about an inch (scary to me). I plan to move the reloader to a more stable surface that can put up with the pressure. Again just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if this is a possible safety issue.
XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 14:01
Sorry for double post, also curious about  over cimping, this would also be a safety issue yes ?
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 23:58
This could be a real safety issue!  Having a bullet shoved too far back into the case can increase pressures and (maybe) blow up your gun and parts of you!

Your regular reloading dies should crimp the bullet into the case well enough that it shouldn't move. The factory crimp die is an added safety factor.  If your bullets are moving into and out of the case easily after applying both, you are probably doing something wrong or have the wrong dies.

Lee is a great company, and makes great products.  If you don't have an experienced reloader friend who can help you figure out what's wrong, call Lee.  I've done this once, and actually talked to Mr. Lee himself.  He carefully explained to me where I was making my mistake (involving a measurement).  This is a first class AMERICAN company with first class people.  Call them, and they'll help you out. 
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 12:57
Are you using a Lee Collet Die set and only neck-sizing?  I have seen this issue when using the Collet Die but never a Full Length Die.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 13:18
Sounds like the expander ball may be to big, or the collet if you are using that.  It is making your neck to large so the neck tension is to loose.  Crimping will not really fix this as you want he entire length of the neck to have the same grip on the bullet.  Crimping them really tight just damages the jacket which in turn messes with accuracy and could cause the jacket to separate from the core easier. 

If it is an expander ball you can just chuck it up in a drill and wrap some emery cloth around it and slowly turn it smaller.  Expander balls can really screw with concentricity anyway.  SOme people do not even use them. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 14:11
I had my "experienced" cousin come set this up for me and teach me how to use the equipment. The outcome was as said above, lose bullet settings. I called and talked to lee as mentoined above. The full length sizer was not adjusted correctly. I made the adjustments and gave it a go and they now fit nice and snug. Thanks for the info guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic