OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Western Hunt: Would you be interested at all?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: No way
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
2 [10.53%]
1 [5.26%]
8 [42.11%]
2 [10.53%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [15.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 11:41
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

We can make Bud carry it out with the promise of a trophy sheep to come! Big Grin

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 14:41
We have an Elk lease in Colorado.  Costs $12,000 a year but there are 4 seasons.  Enough land to hunt 3 or 4 on each season so the cost goes down to $3,000 each season when spread out it is $1,000 or less.  Of course the Colorado Bull tag is $531.00.  But the advantages are many.  Private land so you know who is hunting where.  Not much hunting on adjacent acreage.  Old trailer to stay in.

We've had a 360 and a 340 plus many more shot.  Here's a couple of pics

The first season and fourth season is draw and you have to put in by the first week in April, the second and third seasons are over the counter.  We have always get drawn in the past because it is private land.  However the fourth season they have started issuing just cow tags.

I've been on one of those trips where you get 5 or 6 guys and carry tents and everything including the company sink and set up in public land.  The next day we discovere there were 2 other camps with half a dozen guys within a 1/4 mile of us.  Hike in for the hunt, find a good overlook, sit down and start glassing and see orange on almost every ridge.  That can be discouraging.  Better to save your money and go on a guided or limited access hunt IMO.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 15:08
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

I've been on one of those trips where you get 5 or 6 guys and carry tents and everything including the company sink and set up in public land.  The next day we discovere there were 2 other camps with half a dozen guys within a 1/4 mile of us.  Hike in for the hunt, find a good overlook, sit down and start glassing and see orange on almost every ridge.  That can be discouraging.  Better to save your money and go on a guided or limited access hunt IMO.

Very true.  That is the reality of hunting much of the public forest service land.  But, I would still rather do that than being at work!  Still, if you're willing to walk further from the roads than 75% of the hunters out there, and you're willing to do your homework, you can get into some o.k. hunting on public land at times.  But then, you also have further to pack out anything you shoot.

If you have the contacts and can afford it, leasing private land, going on guided hunts, or otherwise getting into limited access land that limits hunting pressure is definitely the way to go if you want a better than average animal, whether it be elk, deer, whatever.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 22:39
Come on out to Montana.  I can get horses (depending on how many are wanting to come), tents gear, and stuff that a typical outfitter would have.  The downside to Montana is that general combo (deer/elk) tags are only drawing ( although doing a part application helps) and it is spendy (640 or more) for out of state people.  There is plenty of public land, and with horses, it is easy to get away from people for the most part.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 02:14
Alrighty, then... my vote is for a Montana elk hunt.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 04:17
Mine would be as well!

Montana does refund you the license price if you do not draw as well so that is a bittersweet positive....if that even exists.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 09:09
2 years to save and get all the kinks out of the planning slinky, sounds do-able to me. Doing a Buffalo hunt this year, so the piggy bank is about empty of fun money. Keep me posted. I have some friends in Montana and might can find a smallish group private land to hunt on.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 09:35
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Come on out to Montana.  I can get horses (depending on how many are wanting to come), tents gear, and stuff that a typical outfitter would have.  The downside to Montana is that general combo (deer/elk) tags are only drawing ( although doing a part application helps) and it is spendy (640 or more) for out of state people.  There is plenty of public land, and with horses, it is easy to get away from people for the most part.

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 09:54
Go to Colorado! Go to Colorado! Did anyone mention Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah or (well forget Arizona)?

I'm just kidding. You're more than welcome to come try elk hunting in Montana. It would be good to go with someone who knows an area well. I'd definitely enjoy going where Helo does even though I already live here and am probably going to hunt about 20 miles south of there in November.
Reaction time is a factor...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 12:14
New Mexico has awesome elk hunting, with some of the best trophy quality anywhere.  Unfortunately, unless you book a guided hunt and spend a lot of money (which I did once), it's hard for a non-resident to be able to hunt there.  If you hunt in some of the best areas like the Indian reservations or the Gila N.F., you either have to be prepared to spend 1/4 - 1/2 your annual salary, or it's logistically difficult if you don't have horses, tons of camp gear, the means to pack it all in, and the local knowledge of where to go.  The best areas not on Indian reservations are either private land or limited access public land that allow no motorized vehicles.   

If I know for certain several of you are serious about going, count me in, regardless of where.  Montana is intriguing to me because I've never hunted there and we already have 2 Montana residents who said they'd be willing to help make it happen.

Edited by RifleDude - October/17/2010 at 12:17
Ted

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 16:08
I'd absolutely love to do it as i think i've already thrown out there. Montana is a solid bet because we have contacts from this board up there and it seems like it's not impossible to get a license. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 16:16
I would assume you guys that are interested would be so for rifle season, but i just want to check....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 20:01
Rifle, archery, spear, blowgun... it matters not to me.  If it flings a projectile and it's legal and sufficient for elk, I'll do it.
Ted

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 20:10
Rifle for me. "I am no bow hunter by any stretch" 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 00:11

Bucky

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 00:53

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 10:42
" Who's paying for all of us to go hunting?? "   

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 10:45
Apparently you, Chris said he had your CC number on file and would let us use it.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 10:52
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Pack stock makes all the difference when it comes to public land elk hunting in MT.  A warm tent at the end of the day sure brightens the outlook of the next day's hunt!
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic