OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hello, Need good advice and help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello, Need good advice and help!
    Posted: October/15/2010 at 01:11
Hello, I'm looking for a good optic for my new Remington 700 sps Tactical. I have 3- $400 to spend. Trying to get the best I can in that range so I can concentrate on a solid stock from the get go,since the Hogue is lacking. Anyways, I have looked at several of the post on here trying to figure things out before bothering anyone and reposting questions. I am looking at the Vortex Vipers probably in the 6.5-20 x 50 Mil Dot. Can go x 44.   Also interested in the Millet 4-16 x 50 TRS-1 30mm. Will be used for paper and meat this year. Really like the idea of the 30mm tube and 50mm objective for sun up and down hunting. I'm not sure about the illuminated reticle Mil Dot though since its not manually adjustable. I'll leave it here for now before I overwhelm those who try to help me. Oh one other question want to go with a picatinny base mount probably 20 moa. If going with a x50 can I get away with low mount rings. Suggestions for those also,please! Any other suggestions are welcome also!  Thanks ahead of time, for your time. Tim...Whacko

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 05:43
Welcome to the OT Tim

Have a few questions:
     What will the scope be used for/what is the caliber & what type of climate will you be shooting in[sand-snow etc]?

You can never go wrong with a Vortex viper,great scopes & great CS.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 06:43
SPS Tacticals come in 223 or 308, i have the 308 and being you said for meat I will assume you have the 308 as well.  One thing is that for something you are gonna hunt with, in low light conditions, you definatly don't want a magnification range that starts above 3 or 4.  I would look at the vortex viper 4-12 that is on closeout right now.  Should be great for you.  I have a SS3-9 on mine and routinely take bowling pins down at 500yds with ease so they are capable.  One thing that will make your guns shoot better straight out the box here is to stiffin the forend.  There are a few threads on the net on doing it but it is basically fitting a steel rod in the channels and filling with an epoxy that will harden.  I would wager that my groups went from .75-1 MOA to .25-.50MOA with that alteration to mine.  With the base I use a TPS 20MOA base and it has had a 50obj on it and I was using low rings so that should answer your question.  I am getting ready to swap over to super lows with the SS to get closer to the bore.  Welcome to the OT and if you have any questions about that stock alteration let me know.
Tim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 12:29
Thanks guys for helping! SVT, it is in 308 and the problems with the weak front of the stock is why I will be changing it. But I am very interested in the stiffening job and had already been trying to figure out how I could do that as a project. I really dig on those type of projects and want to know how to do it, thank you for any help in that area. My problem is I really would like a x50 and 30mm tube (Millet) but if I can get the same out of a 1" tube on the Vortex x40 I will go that route. Because I am in agreement with you on the Vortex scope. And I also agree that the 6.5-20 will be to much for what I will be doing right now, but the reason I ask about that is the x50 30mm that is offered in that scope and it was milled. So I think I will be settling for a V-plex 3.5-10 x 50 1"  which is on sell and wait on the Mil Dot side of things. For the hunting purpose it will be serving which is from 50 to 400yrds. from sun up to sundown I am hoping for a good decision on that choice of scope. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 13:32
example:  Winchester 150 gr   .308  XP3 ammo
TRAJECTORY (in.)
50 -0.2
100 0
200 -3.6
300 -13.1
400 -29.7
TRAJECTORY LONG (in.)
100 1.8
200 0
300 -7.8
400 -22.6
500 -45.7
So are you planning to use a balistic reticle or dial in correction or just hold over those are the three choices and we will consider how well each works.  As mentioned SVT has a 3-9x42 Super Sniper on his rifle - Excellent Choice to dial in correction really good glass and since its FFP the mil dots can not only be used to rangefind but used for known hold over at any power it just doesnt get any better than that.    Next possible you select a scope like you are considering with a 2nd focal plane reticle in a 6-20 or similar power with  a balistic reticle - oops the balistic reticle only is true at the highest power so in low light you have to dial down the power to brighten the image and now you are back down to 6x with a 42mm or 7x with a 50mm for maximum brightness. The  30 mm tube only only buys you more internal adjustment sometimes not even that. The plus 20moa base can work for or against you depending on your choice of scopes and the selection of ring height is something one does once they know what scope what base and if they need to allow extra room for flip up lens caps.  Lets consider a 3.5-10x50 VPLEX you are starting at 3.5 power which looses out to the wide field of view of a 2 power by a significant amount when you consider that there are scopes out there that go to 10x and start around 2 or 2.5.   The high end of it 10x is good buy not really high power like you started off wanting and the difference between 7x and 10x is not nearly as significant as the difference between 2x and 3.5x  Interestingly enough when you select a scope with a balistic reticle that has a maximum power of 7x with its 32mm objective it gives you a 4.5mm exit eye pupil which is relatively bright on a scale where 7mm is maximum brightness plus you have BDC hold over marks. So I suggest this scope with talley lightweight rings.  Unless you want to go with the 3-9x42 Super Sniper.
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Discontinued closeout pirce
  • 35% OFF
$169.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 13:34

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 13:47
just a question, why do you want a 30mm tube?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 14:22
I can take some pictures of the forend if I think of it this weekend.  I made a world of difference it went from loading the gun on a bipod and the stock touching the barrel to loading correctly while still free floating.
Tim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 16:27
Thanks again guys for your helpful impute. I guess I was trying to hard to fit in a scope that could be used for hunting and long range target and save some money in the process. I think I am starting to see that they are really two different animals" in a way " . It appears that the stock will wait which I don't mind, specially if I can fix the weakness problem. SO, it will be the SWFA SS 3-9x42 which is what I wanted all along just got excited with the sale on the Vortex's and wanted close to what the SS could give and a new stock,Budget.  Thanks again for your time!   SVT have you got an idea where the DIY is on the stock. It looks like that is the second plan for now,lol. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 16:32
The SS and SPS Tact. are a great match! lol I can send you a DIY first of the week or later tonight.  Whenever I get time.
RandyAllred View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyAllred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 18:07
Thats a nice setup svt.   I've got a super sniper X10 on an DMR AR15.  Need to find one for this REM 700 sps tac myself.   Would you get the fixed 16 or 20 power or go with something else?   I'd like to have the option of varible up to 20 power but cannot afford a leupold 6.6 by 20.  Any suggestions?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 18:26
The vortex viper 6.5-20 is a good scope.  I have tested one and liked it.  see......
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 18:28
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 21:59
The SS 3-9x42 will not be a disappointment I have two of them and wish I had more.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 22:04
Ok SVT, you stole my rifle and give it back,lol! Exactly what I will be doing to mine in the future. Except for the suppressor, even though I'd like to. I hope I can get the stock sorted because I don't exactly hate it to be honest. I like the rubber over mold, and the shape is almost like the M24 style. Some may call me crazy for liking it! I am surprised to see that you haven't put a extra stud for the bi pod though. But it probably doesn't see any sling time I'm guessing. I'm curious do you think if adding one towards the front like that will the stock job still hold up or can you even add one after the rod is put in? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic