OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Browning A-Bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Browning A-Bolt
    Posted: October/14/2010 at 22:38
I have seen that a lot of people really like the Browning A-Bolt, i am thinking of getting a 7mm wsm and would just like to know if this would be a good rifle for elk hunting.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32786-55.html
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 06:09
yes it will work just fine for elk.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 09:50
Excellent gun- probably the best of the wsm calibers. The 7-08 would work also with less whip lash. Many elk taken with the more docile 7x57., and with todays selection of factory loads an easy combination.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 10:09
7WSM and .300 Win Mag are what my 2 primary elk rifles are chambered for.  I'm a big fan of 7WSM, and don't understand why it never gained the popularity it deserves.  Pick any 140 - 160 grain bullet suitable for elk sized critters that shoots well out of your gun and you'll be just fine.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 20:42
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

7WSM and .300 Win Mag are what my 2 primary elk rifles are chambered for.  I'm a big fan of 7WSM, and don't understand why it never gained the popularity it deserves.  Pick any 140 - 160 grain bullet suitable for elk sized critters that shoots well out of your gun and you'll be just fine.

because of the 7mag i would guess.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 22:47
Then why did the .300 WSM gain such popularity?  There are more different .300 magnum variations than 7 mag variations by far.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 06:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Then why did the .300 WSM gain such popularity?  There are more different .300 magnum variations than 7 mag variations by far.  

ted think about it, how many metric calibers have had as much success in this country as "standard" ones have. wait a  few more years and then see where the .300wsm is. im with you, i think the 7wsm is the cats meow. i think being it was a .308 didnt hurt it any, and really what else in the magnums can compete with the 7mag as far as sales go?

Edited by pyro6999 - October/16/2010 at 06:18
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 10:41
Yeah, but 7mm seems to have bucked the anti-metric caliber bias in the US.  Look how popular 7RM and 7-08 have been.  If the .300 WSM remained popular despite or maybe because of the success of so many other .300 mags, I don't see why 7 WSM didn't gain much traction.  After all, .300 WSM duplicates .300 Win Mag ballistics in a short action, just as 7 WSM duplicates 7 RM ballistics in short action.  Since 7 RM is an extremely successful round, why would it not follow that 7 Whizzum should gain a devoted following among 7mm fans?  If anything, .300 Whizzum has more direct competition.  I realize that .308 bore rules in this country, but 7mm is close behind in popularity.
Ted

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 11:57
For me I really like the 300WSM and I also shoot 300 WM but the 300 WSM not having the belt makes it more friendly for reloading.  I would imagine the 7mm WSM would be a great cartridge pretty sure that is what JF4545 has. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 12:28
I sometimes wish I had gone with the 7mmWSM, instead of the 300wsm. But then again sometimes I wish I had just gone with a 308 win. too. The biggest down side to any of the Wsm calibers, is the price of feeding them. Factory ammo is outlandish. But with reloading, they do become reasonable. The 7mm heavy bullets do run away from the 308 projectiles. The only problem is most short actions run out of magazine length to get the most out of them.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 16:32
i have had the .300wsm the .300win and the .300wby, i prefer the belted .300s myself, im old school i guess.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 16:52
I went with the 300 Wsm because of no belt. But with the short case length, shooting heavier bullets really slow muzzle velocity. The good news is 178gr. Amax really like my barrel. If going for the 7mm Wsm, and reloading, I would look into the 162gr. Amax. Great ballistics, and pretty decent results on the 'net against elk.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 20:12
my wsm really shot the 180gr sierra pro hunter well, as does the .300 win and .300wby. the fatness of the wsm cases means one less round in the mag, but usually one is enough any ways so thats probably a moot point.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jvr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 20:58
I do not hunt elk; but I have owned 3 a-bolts.  All of them were great shooters.   I just changed scopes on 2 of them 10/24/10. Early model stainless stalker 7 rem mag.  It was punching up quarter sized groups with 160 grain winchesters and a second gen stainless stalker 223.  It was sub quarter sized groups with remington 45 grain hp.  Both guns were off a make shift rest (gun case) at 100 yards (factory ammo). 

I would not heisitate to buy another one a-bolt. (i own savage; remington; ruger and winchester rifles as well)

I can recommend the gun; I will leave the caliber selection to the elk hunters.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 21:12
The Browning A bolt is a fine rifle and should serve you well! I too love the 7mm wsm, and do not understand why it never caught on. The only problem I can see with that combo might be ammo availability if you dont reload.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 07:21
Just to much competition in the 7mm and 300mag for all to survive. One of the reasons that I believe the 270wsm will be the only wsm that will really thrive and survive. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic