OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Report from the Field: Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Report from the Field: Optics
    Posted: October/14/2010 at 13:15
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 16:11
Nice read. I do like Wayne but he (like so many others) most always paints a pretty picture. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 16:22
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Nice read. I do like Wayne but he (like so many others) most always paints a pretty picture. 

I see you noticed the section on Greybull precision.

Still, it is a nice overview (even if I disagree with some of it).

ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 16:25
I fell asleep half way through (just kidding).  No where near as good as a DLOO reviewWink

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 16:28
Not as bad as Craig Boddington's sell-out piece on Counter Sniper though. At least these are some respectable optics.
Reaction time is a factor...
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 16:58
I've hunted with Wayne and Craig both, not at the same time though and they are both great guys.

Wayne is very quiet and keeps to himself alot.  When I hunted with him it was being filmed for "The World of Beretta" show and he had a fancy lever gun with XXX wood and someone ran over it and broke the stock in half.  He actually duct taped and continued hunting.  He was very cordial and hardly said anything about his gun.

Craig is hilarious and very out going.  I packed a MRE to jack with him and when everyone was getting dinner one night back at camp I had the camp cook put that MRE on a plate and give it to him.  He laughed just as hard as everyone else.  He helped me pack out one of my caribou.  I could not even begin to keep up with him.  One of the other guys that had hunted with him before warned me that he is a hiking machine.  We stopped to rest or more like he stopped to let me rest and said, "I love packing caribou out, it reminds me of banding your head against the wall....it feels damn good when you stop".

Craig told me about how the magazines work and all the added pressure he has to not piss anyone off.  He actually brought two guns, a .260 and a .300 so that he could write two articles.  He said one would appease the crowd that says .300 is too much gun and the other would appease the crowd that says a .260 is not enough.  He said he can't win and just about every article he writes he gets tons of mail second guessing everything.

In regards to the CS/BS article it is just a bi-product of him not being up to speed on what is going on.  He most likely had never heard of them and it was presented to him at a range day for him to do a quick write up.  You can bet he knows what a mistake that was now, but don't hold it against him as he is a very good person and very approachaple....hell he almost became a brigadier general if they did not rush him out just prior to it happening.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 17:15
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

I've hunted with Wayne and Craig both, not at the same time though and they are both great guys.

Wayne is very quiet and keeps to himself alot.  When I hunted with him it was being filmed for "The World of Beretta" show and he had a fancy lever gun with XXX wood and someone ran over it and broke the stock in half.  He actually duct taped and continued hunting.  He was very cordial and hardly said anything about his gun.

Craig is hilarious and very out going.  I packed a MRE to jack with him and when everyone was getting dinner one night back at camp I had the camp cook put that MRE on a plate and give it to him.  He laughed just as hard as everyone else.  He helped me pack out one of my caribou.  I could not even begin to keep up with him.  One of the other guys that had hunted with him before warned me that he is a hiking machine.  We stopped to rest or more like he stopped to let me rest and said, "I love packing caribou out, it reminds me of banding your head against the wall....it feels damn good when you stop".

Craig told me about how the magazines work and all the added pressure he has to not piss anyone off.  He actually brought two guns, a .260 and a .300 so that he could write two articles.  He said one would appease the crowd that says .300 is too much gun and the other would appease the crowd that says a .260 is not enough.  He said he can't win and just about every article he writes he gets tons of mail second guessing everything.

In regards to the CS/BS article it is just a bi-product of him not being up to speed on what is going on.  He most likely had never heard of them and it was presented to him at a range day for him to do a quick write up.  You can bet he knows what a mistake that was now, but don't hold it against him as he is a very good person and very approachaple....hell he almost became a brigadier general if they did not rush him out just prior to it happening.

I do not know either one of them personally, and I suspect that I were in their situation (regarding not pissing anyone off), I would do the same thing. 

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 17:32
That's the problem with that type of work, if you bite the hand that feeds you you might just starve.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 17:40
I'm sure both Wayne and Craig are great guys.  I've talked with Craig briefly a couple times at DSC conventions, and found him to be very friendly, cordial, and patient with people who want to talk his ear off.  He seemed to have a good sense of humor as well.  I bought one of his videos and had him autograph it with the statement "I wish I was as good a hunter as Ted."  He got a big laugh out of that request and complied. 

I found this article to be basically fluff, however.  WVZ certainly didn't "separate(s) the worthy from the merely recent in the world of optics," as the article's heading promised.  It seems to me he just basically recited the technical details of the optics you can read from catalogs (minus the incorrect statement that the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10X56 had a 1" tube), with few actual opinions included.  He certainly didn't include any constructive criticism of anything.  This seems to be pretty much the norm for the vast majority of all magazines anymore.  Although I totally understand the reasons why, I would enjoy shooting magazines a whole lot more if they included actual reviews and opinions rather than extended advertisements.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 19:51
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

he was a marine at one time, i suspect the hiking skills he gained there only got better with all the hunting across the world he does.

i would love to meet craig some day.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic