OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Demos, Displays and Trade-Ins > Samplelist.com
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bad experience, time to update the backend system?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bad experience, time to update the backend system?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad experience, time to update the backend system?
    Posted: October/12/2010 at 15:30
This morning I found a scope (on the samplelist) that I've been thinking about buying for a while.The price was right, so I decided to buy it.
I fill out all the information, but when I hit submit I get an error/exception message from the web server.
I then proceed to call CS to place the order there instead, but I'm then informed that the product already sold. However, when I get back to my computer I have a confirmation email in my inbox. Checking the web site, the product is now listed as sold.
I'm now a bit confused, thinking that maybe I was the one who bought the product, so I call CS again, but then can't even find me in the system and ask me to call back in a few hours (something about their system not getting updated/refreshed very often)
30 mins ago I look at my order status and it says "Waiting to ship", which sounds encouraging, but to make sure, I call CS again. They finally find me in the system, but tell me that it was sold earlier this morning and that my order will be canceled.
In this day and age, and from a company of SWFA's size, this is just not acceptable... Maybe its just me having a very low tolerance from working in the software business, but it's not really encouraging me to try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 15:53
While I do feel for you its not good juju to come onto the forum that SWFA runs and bad mouth them.  Granted I know you are flustrated but when you are dealing with a used product list and only one of each item most of the time its  matter of who clicked complete first.  I am sure if you call and ask to speak to them they will try to do their best to make a right of the wrong.  Consider that before you rant.
gose View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 16:09
If it was inappropriate, I apologize. The point wasn't to bad mouth, but rather to point out the fact that their computer system is causing frustration and potentially lost revenue.
Getting an email confirmation and then talking to a CS rep who can't find me in their system until the next update, is what frustrated me and I figured that could be worth pointing out.

If someone bought it ahead of me, no big deal, that's the way the world works and I totally fine with that. Broken systems, I have less patience with ;)

The very nice rep I spoke to the second time offered me to buy the scope at full price, which I declined.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 16:22
I would call and talk to Christopher or Brady, explain the problem and see if that gets you anywhere.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 21:19
Agreed.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 07:54
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

While I do feel for you its not good juju to come onto the forum that SWFA runs and bad mouth them.  Granted I know you are flustrated but when you are dealing with a used product list and only one of each item most of the time its  matter of who clicked complete first.  I am sure if you call and ask to speak to them they will try to do their best to make a right of the wrong.  Consider that before you rant.

SVT----I'm going to have to disagree with you.

First, I don't think the Op was bad mouthing SWFA, just showing some frustration with his particular situation.
Second--This is AMERICA...1st Amendment rights protect free speech! I'm am so tired of everyone trying to be so "Politically Correct"...not to offend anyone..blah blah blah. 
SWFA IS a great company and should KNOW how to properly deal with criticism; otherwise they would not have become a great company.

Third---I would feel the exact same way as the OP if this had happen to me. I'm not rich and work hard for my money and even harder to get some away from the Mrs. to buy my "toys". If I had found a particular scope that had been reduced...bought it from the sample list and then because of computer errors did not get the scope I also would be upset.

Last----I'm sure this post will have a happy ending with the OP telling us all how SWFA took care of him. Again, they ARE a great company!

To the OP----Good luck and call SWFA to see what they will do for you. 
I'm off my soapbox--------------Bboy623

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 08:00
To each his own....

I will not argue any points and stand by my original statement.  SWFA will make any wrong on their part a right given the opportunity, that history has proven. 
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 08:06

SWFA will make any wrong on their part a right given the opportunity, that history has proven. 

That we will BOTH agree upon!-----Bboy623
gose View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 12:10
Got an email from SWFA this morning where they explained what happened, and it seemed to be more the human factor than a bad system (though I'd probably still argue that they need to do something about their system ;))
They also said that they contacted the manufacturer to try and find another demo version for me, but they were all out, so no luck there.

So all in all, I think they did a pretty good job of resolving the issue and definitely went further than many other companies would have done in the same situation. Of course I'm still a bit annoyed that I missed out a good deal and that there isnt a scope on its way to me, but more than anything that was my fault for being too late.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 12:12
Hopefully something will turn up.  Good luck on your hunt for the right optics.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - October/13/2010 at 12:13
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 12:13
What where you looking fo? and what price range are you trying to stay in.
gose View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 12:59
Swarovski Z6i 1-6 w the brt reticle.
Been thinking of getting one for a while, but didnt really want to pull the trigger on one at full price until I've had a chance to look through the coming S&B 1-8.
However, the Z6i on the sample list was 1699, which was low enough to jump on it.
So, $1700-$1800, and I'd probably get one right now, for $2200, I'll wait until the S&B comes out.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 19:29

Get your jaw off the floor,G!!Bucky
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 20:19
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Get your jaw off the floor,G!!Bucky
huh?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 22:44
That is a heap a squid. Shocked
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 16:31
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

SVT----I'm going to have to disagree with you.

First, I don't think the Op was bad mouthing SWFA, just showing some frustration with his particular situation.
Second--This is AMERICA...1st Amendment rights protect free speech! I'm am so tired of everyone trying to be so "Politically Correct"...not to offend anyone..blah blah blah. 
SWFA IS a great company and should KNOW how to properly deal with criticism; otherwise they would not have become a great company.

Third---I would feel the exact same way as the OP if this had happen to me. I'm not rich and work hard for my money and even harder to get some away from the Mrs. to buy my "toys". If I had found a particular scope that had been reduced...bought it from the sample list and then because of computer errors did not get the scope I also would be upset.

Last----I'm sure this post will have a happy ending with the OP telling us all how SWFA took care of him. Again, they ARE a great company!

To the OP----Good luck and call SWFA to see what they will do for you. 
I'm off my soapbox--------------Bboy623

While I generally agree with you, there are a couple of points to consider.

This forum is privately owned (by SWFA).  Because of that, they have a free reign to permit or restrict any sort of speech they fell is is appropriate for the forum.  1st amendment rights that you are referring to have no bearing on expression that occurs on private property, which this forum is.  It has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness.

For comparison, if someone comes to my house and starts spouting something I do not want to listen to, I have every right to tell them to shut up or leave the property since their 1st amendment rights have no bearing in my house.

It speaks well of SWFA to generally give us very free rein in terms of freedom of expression on their forum.  There are very few things that are restricted by the rules of this forum.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 18:38
Damn, Ilya, we think alike!  I was about to reply with the exact same points almost verbatim, including using the same analogy about enforcing whatever I wish in my own home.

Bboy, there is a very practical reason for these rules.  SWFA has a business to run.  This forum is very secondary to that.  In exchange for allowing us the privilege of using this forum that they pay for, SWFA stipulates certain rules we are expected to follow as conditions for membership here.  One of the Forum Rules is that we are not supposed to use this board as an outlet for expressing customer service oriented grievances because this is not the proper venue for that, and the reader only tends to hear one side of the story, quite often lacking the context of what may have happened behind the scenes.  If you were in their shoes and were in charge, would you allow things to occur on this board (their private property) that might possibly be detrimental to business in any way?  I'm sure you understand.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 21:11
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Damn, Ilya, we think alike!  I was about to reply with the exact same points almost verbatim, including using the same analogy about enforcing whatever I wish in my own home.

Bboy, there is a very practical reason for these rules.  SWFA has a business to run.  This forum is very secondary to that.  In exchange for allowing us the privilege of using this forum that they pay for, SWFA stipulates certain rules we are expected to follow as conditions for membership here.  One of the Forum Rules is that we are not supposed to use this board as an outlet for expressing customer service oriented grievances because this is not the proper venue for that, and the reader only tends to hear one side of the story, quite often lacking the context of what may have happened behind the scenes.  If you were in their shoes and were in charge, would you allow things to occur on this board (their private property) that might possibly be detrimental to business in any way?  I'm sure you understand.

Rifle Dude & Ilya,
I agree with what you said; and maybe my point didn't come across properly. What I was saying was: I didn't believe that the OP was badmouthing, trashtalking or putting SWFA down in any way. He DID advise that he believed that SWFA needed to upgrade their servers/computer equipment. Again, if I was in his shoes I'd feel the same. With that said, I believe EVERYONE knows that the sample list is First come First serve.....just like ebay, woot, etc etc.
I truly feel that SWFA gets a substantial amount of business FROM Optics Talk.com!!! I point people there all the time that want to learn about optics. If I hear about someone wanting to buy a scope, I tell them to visit SWFA as they won't find a better price OR BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE. 
With a business you have to take the good with the bad. As I stated I was sure this thread would have a "happy ending" as I knew SWFA would take care of the customer. And the OP is happy with the outcome.
I understand what you were saying about SWFA having the RIGHT to restrict what is said here on the forum. 
Everyone can agree that SWFA has excellent customer service and moreover the OP was taken care of.-----------Bboy623

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 07:32
It matters not what the OP's intentions were.  The simple fact is, his post technically violates the forum rules (rule #6) that we all agreed to when registering our accounts.

http://www.opticstalk.com/the-ot-rules_topic5473.html

If people used this board for that purpose, due to the large number of transactions they do, SWFA would potentially have to devote a person to monitoring the forums and respond to each post immediately or someone would feel like they were being neglected.  It is much easier and faster to call and talk to SWFA in person.  Plus, there are some people who are never happy and you simply can't please, and there's no sense in giving people like that a free outlet to start a pi$$ing match at SWFA's expense.  Not implying the OP belongs in that category at all, but because those people exist, rules have to be made to cover such situations.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 10:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

It matters not what the OP's intentions were.  The simple fact is, his post technically violates the forum rules (rule #6) that we all agreed to when registering our accounts.

http://www.opticstalk.com/the-ot-rules_topic5473.html

If people used this board for that purpose, due to the large number of transactions they do, SWFA would potentially have to devote a person to monitoring the forums and respond to each post immediately or someone would feel like they were being neglected.  It is much easier and faster to call and talk to SWFA in person.  Plus, there are some people who are never happy and you simply can't please, and there's no sense in giving people like that a free outlet to start a pi$$ing match at SWFA's expense.  Not implying the OP belongs in that category at all, but because those people exist, rules have to be made to cover such situations.

Agreed---Bboy623
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic