OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best bang for the buck????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangene1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best bang for the buck????
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 21:04
I got a .35 whelens pro hunter which is legal in mississippi for black powder and Im trying to find the best scope for the money. i would like a 50mm thats fog proof if possible good eye relief ? Nikon prostaff , leupold , bushnell elite 3200 . What do you guys think?
I do not condone what i do but i will not deny myself the pleasure
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 22:57
How much money?
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 06:13
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

How much money?
the golden question
meangene1975 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangene1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 07:11
400 or less. I also get alot of scopes wholesale, so around there 350 orr 300 or less
I do not condone what i do but i will not deny myself the pleasure
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 07:58
The Bushnell Elite 3200 would be a good scope.  The firefly reticle would work as inllumination as long as you remember to keep a small flashlight with you to recharge it right before taking a shot.  Its a fairly clear scope.  I had the 3200 10X for a long while on several hard kickers and it held up great.  I think a 3-9 3200 would fit the bill just fine even without a 50obj.   I also had a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 for a while.  The glass was not a clear to my eye as the Bushnell but its servicable.  They are Nikons entry level scopes and are not known for "super" quality but they work.  Never had any issues with mine but i didn't feel confident with it either for some reason, mainly the subpar glass.  The only other option i would look at would be the Vortex Vipers.  I think it would be the best bet you could get right now.  I know you said you wanted a 50obj but the 2-7x32 has gotten rave reviews and is all a hunting gun needs.  It will still let in enough light in low light conditions to take a shot and the glass is on par with the Elite 4200 or better.  My money would would be spent on Vortex. 
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 08:04
For $400 I'd get a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 and not think twice.  By the way the .35 Whelen is a beast on whitetails.  Been shooting a Rem. 700 Classic for several yrs now.  With the right load your looking at a 300 yd deer gun.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:36
+1 for Zeiss.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:41
Good find Magshooter.  I didnt' even think about the conquest on special this year.  It too would be my first choice for the 4bill mark.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 13:20
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 14:03
Originally posted by meangene1975 meangene1975 wrote:

I got a .35 whelens pro hunter which is legal in mississippi for black powder and Im trying to find the best scope for the money. i would like a 50mm thats fog proof if possible good eye relief ? Nikon prostaff , leupold , bushnell elite 3200 . What do you guys think?

For 50mm objective scopes under $400....

You said that you can get them wholesale,so I'll base recommendations on wholesale price.
If you can get Nikon or Bushnell wholesale, then the 3-9x 50mm Nikon Buckmaster,Burris Fullfield II 3-10x50 and the Monarch 2-10x50mm are well under $400 and Bushnell 4200 Elite 2-10x 50mm barely squeaks in under the $400 limit. The latter has the rainguard coating, so it will probably be the best performer in bad weather.

If you're buying retail price, get the 3.5-10x 50mm Vortex Viper that SWFA is selling. I'd say that's far and away the best deal for a 50mm objective hunting scope right now. I can buy wholesale,and I am still considering getting one from SWFA,as I can't touch a Monarch or 4200 for that price,other than the 4200 3-9x model,and that's only a 40mm objective.
For big glass, SWFA's deal on that Vortex is darn hard to beat.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 14:07
Ilya you've done a heck of a job on your Optics Thoughts site!!!  ExcellentExcellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic