OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red Dot or Illuminated Sight or Neither?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Dot or Illuminated Sight or Neither?
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 19:16
I have a Tikka T3 light in 270 Winchester that I am planning on using for an Elk Hunt in a couple weeks.  I am 99% sure any shot will be 200 yards or less.

I have an Aimpoint 9000L 2 MOA sight new in the box and I have a BSA RMRS Multi Reticle Illuminated Sight that I won in a raffle also new in the box.

I went to a local firearms dealer to have one of them mounted.  The dealer strongly recommended I mount neither of them and instead pickup a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 and mount it.

I am a bit of a newbie to scopes and firearms and did not quite understand all the reasons offered.  There was something about range/sight accuracy/etc.  I was thinking of using the BSA as in my mind it should offer me a better overall vision field of view?

So I am kind of looking to viewers/posters to this forum for some feedback/recommendation.

Zhurh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 19:37
This year it was awful warm during moose season; they moved after dark; really needed an illuminated reticle for a hour after dusk.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 21:19

I have one of these and LOVE it. The glass is very good. It allows for very quick target acquisition, and you get a really wide field of view. 

http://swfa.com/Hawke-15-6x44-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41112.aspx

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 23:02

+1 on the nikon monarch

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
wamlm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 19:19
Okay  I have found out a couple things ...
1.  The Illuminated BSA is legal for Colorado hunting.
2.  Turns out I need to get a picatinny type base for both the BSA and the Aimpoint.

I have found two options ....
a.  EGW Picatinny - 1 piece
b.  Burris XTR 2 piece

The EGW is about twice the cost of the Burris and I think would be more versatile?
Any feedback on Burris and or EGW setup?

Also, the EGW setup comes in two versions ... one is zero MOA and the other is 20 MOA.

I guess the 20 MOA is needed for additional elevations for some rifles.  I have  a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Winchester.  I would guess 90+% of my shooting will be less than 200 yards.  So I think the zero MOA EGW would be the one to get in the EGW line ??

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 20:01

.270 is pretty flat to 200 yards, I wouldn't have any need for the 20 MOA base. 

Price the deciding factor with the BSA?

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 20:31
That scope that Neilbilly would work for ya, or the Nikon Monarch as well..  Ok, I have several Lightweight Huntin Rifles like you have. 1 wears a 3x10x42 its a Swarovski. Another a has a 3x9x42 Kahles, and another is a 3x10x50 Kahles and also a 3.5x10x44 Zeiss, a 3x9x42 SS, a 4.5x14x44 which is a little bit more then you probably need... To me any Objective (Large End of Scope) over 44mm is to big for a Lightweight Hunting Rifle. Some are even 32 or 36mm objective Lenses..... I think for your rifle a 4x12x40 would be a good all around scope for ya. As you see all these scopes have some magnification so you can see what you are shootin at. They will bring your image (target) seemingly closer so you can place your shot properly at say 75 to 300 yards... The sights (Not Scope) you were speaking of have no magnification at all...You may as well use iron sights on your Tikka and some do just that too...But if you want your rifle capable of being all it can be then buy a real  hunting scope... The Aimpoint you mentioned is for very close range! Sure some people can get them to shoot out to 300 yards or so. Im thinking you are not one of those people as it takes lots of experience and time shooting, Practice, Practice, Practice!!  Also I am NOT ONE of those people either just so you know Im not being critical hereSmile

If I were you I would buy this Vortex scope from SWFA, they are having a great sale. This is a good price. I suggest you should save your Aimpoint for a AR or a Shotgun or a Brush Rifle.  SWFA customer service will help you with your picatinney base and rings, just ask them. Or buy the Nikon, or a Zeiss is NiceBucky Or put a very nice 3x9x40 Trijicon Accupoint, thats one of my favorites.. So good luck to ya on your Elk hunting trip and remember you might just run across that perfect Bull or in my case any Bull, and it may just be out there 350 yards instead of 50 yards. So its always better to be prepared, a Boys Scout told me that about 40 years ago...Wink

Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope
V-Plex Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM04P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Discontinued closeout pirce
  • 40% OFF
$239.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl08_Price_VS = value=soUPnRusc7gby5i/w1AzRVMF8wChPTZuijk8W4weLFvHAxQmmAIKay+ibx7eY3td name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Price$VS>

Edited by JF4545 - October/20/2010 at 20:41
wamlm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 17:25
Thank you for the feedback.  I mentioned the BSA as I won it at a raffle at my local club.  And I already have the Aimpoint having purchased it at a sale at the NRA convention.

thank you for the input re the EGW rail.  I will be going with the zero(0) MOA model.
wamlm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 17:28
Thank you for the feedback and recommendations.  Should I move to a more powerful rifle, like a 300 win mag, than I think a 4-12 scope would be great.  Meanwhile I usually hunt at a lodge from a stand and kind of wait for the elk to come by and of course turn at just the right angle and stand still for an incredibly long time while I try to stop shaking.

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic