OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trouble sighting in 300WIN Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble sighting in 300WIN Mag
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 14:58
I have a Browning x-bolt 300 Win Mag and a Zeiss Conquest 3X9 scope.  Using a rifle bench rest and still having difficulty getting a tight grouping.  As much as 3 inches apart?  Using Federal premium ammo, 180 gr nosler partition.  This is a new set up and maybe the scope mounting may be the issue??  Any thoughts. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 15:09
What rings are you using? What method did you use to install?  normally if your rifle is holding that grouping and its consistantly doing it,  it wouldnt be the rings.  More likely the ammo or possibly the gun.  Have you tired any different ammo?
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 15:15
Fairly certain they are weaver, would have to check the packaging when I get home.  Some more info, at 25yds I have 4 rounds group within an inch.  Have not tried any other ammo.  Going on an elk hunt and wanted to use this new set up.  May have to revert back to my 30-06 that is on.  Should I be concerned with the barrell heating up?  Would that make a difference.  Fired 7 rounds with about 3-4 minutes between each round.   
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 15:15
Had the rings and bases installed at a gun shop.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 15:30
Try a different ammo.  Shot once. give it a few minutes to cool, 5 is a good number.  shoot again.  See what you get.  do this for 3 shots then give you rifle about another 15 minutes to cool. Do not make adjustments during those three shots, aim at the same point and see where those three group.   Remember your cold bore shot is the most important cause that what you will be doing 99% of the time while hunting.  You have to do a process of elimination and i think you'll see a difference in ammo. but i could be wrong, its been known to happen.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 01:47
Is your 3 inches at 100yds?
1 inch at 25 yds is not good. Should be one ragged hole.
How good is your shooting position etc. How hard is your trigger set? With your 30-06 are you achieving a decent grouping? Shortly said, is it you or your rifle set-up.
If it is your rifle set-up first thing is to check your scope mounts. No need for super duper this or that. Just confirm that all the screws are snug and tight.

If all OK, then next up would be to try different brands of ammo if you do not reload. Rifles like some and do not like others.

Shooting 5 rounds with roughly 30 to 45 sec between each shot should not cause walking.

Try the different brands of ammo and good luck. If the problem still persists, time to have your scope checked. try some-one elses scope who achieves a good grouping.
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 21:29
Well, I believe you were right on the mark.  Tried different ammo with still the same 180 grain weight and 3 shots within 3/4 inch of one another.  Then shot the Federal premium 180 grain nosler partiton and sure enough it was off about 5 inches.  So much for shooting that ammo on my elk hunt next week.  Thanks for the recommendation. 
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 21:33
Well, I believe you were right on the mark.  Tried different ammo with still the same 180 grain weight and 3 shots within 3/4 inch of one another.  Then shot the Federal premium 180 grain nosler partiton and sure enough it was off about 5 inches.  So much for shooting that ammo on my elk hunt next week.  Thanks for the recommendation
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 21:48
No worries.  That will a $100.00 diagnostic feeWink LOL  Good luck on your hunt
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 23:06
What was the OAL difference
Any weight diffrence
Any bullet type difference
Do you have a chronograph(oops)
No one
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 01:05
I am not a fan of Nosler Partition. Had some horrible results with it. Tossed them in the bin and I even missed that!!!

Edited by 8shots - October/13/2010 at 01:06
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 20:19
Couldn't get federal to shoot in my 300 WM.  Hornady worked but nothing is as good as my hand loads.  Those things are great.  All guns are different and some like different brands of ammo.  Try them all if you can.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Burroughs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burroughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 10:12
Hey cdlee... I have the identical gun and scope setup as you and I've been searching hi and low for some help. What ammo worked best for you???? I'm having the same problem. I'm using a lead sled also to stabilize. Used Winchester xp3 180 grain and I'm having a he'll of a time with them. I wNna try new ammo without breaking the bank. Please help!!!!!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 10:28
Burroughs this thread is over a year old and the original poster probably won't be responding.  Maybe you can give us some more details on your setup and we can help figure out whats going on with your setup.
Burroughs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burroughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 13:34
Thanks SVT, got a browning x bolt stainless stalker in 300 win mag and a zeiss conquest 3-9 scope. Got it in April and sighted in with cheap Remington rounds (180 grain) I've never sighted in a rifle before and it took a while but I was getting under one inch patterns at 100 yards, give or take but with a lead sled. Then practice after without sled. Did ok. Planned a moose hunt for this coming October and bought some Winchester supreme elite xp3 rounds and they were all over the place. @65 a box I was hoping to get some pointers from someone with a similar setup. Any tips for a new guy??
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 13:44
Go back to the old corelot remingtons.  They obviously shoot better and will perform just as good on game.  See if your groups don't go back.  Most likely the weight of the bullet in the winchester rounds doesn't agree with the twist of your gun.  Or the bullet makeup/design.
Burroughs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burroughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 13:51
Thanks alot!! I'll be trying again on Sunday and be sure to post some results. Thanks for your time!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 13:55
no problem.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 14:19
Originally posted by Burroughs Burroughs wrote:

Thanks SVT, got a browning x bolt stainless stalker in 300 win mag and a zeiss conquest 3-9 scope. Got it in April and sighted in with cheap Remington rounds (180 grain) I've never sighted in a rifle before and it took a while but I was getting under one inch patterns at 100 yards, give or take but with a lead sled. Then practice after without sled. Did ok. Planned a moose hunt for this coming October and bought some Winchester supreme elite xp3 rounds and they were all over the place. @65 a box I was hoping to get some pointers from someone with a similar setup. Any tips for a new guy??

The Winchester Supreme elite xp3 shot horribly out of my gun as well. 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 14:53
In a Remington Sendero I got terrible results using 180gr projectiles (don't remember the brand). Tried some 200gr BTSP Federals and I started getting 1" groups @ 100yds. The rifle just likes the heavier bullits.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic