OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 14:29

I think after about 200 yds your ability to put presice shots goes downhill with an ACOG, especially with the Chevron reticle.  I just tested out a grendel with that exact ACOG on it and while it is accurate i did want more precision. Maybe more magnification hunting hogs at those distances? Maybe the 3-9 accupoint? 

dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 18:12
Assuming that we're still talking about coyote hunting...
The heart-lung area of a coyote is about the same size as a 1-liter soda bottle on its side. Whatever sighting method and distance you want to use ought to take that into account. They might be vermin infested and mangy, but I still don't like to watch cripples limp off to die slowly.

Short Shot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 22:12
Thought I would jump in here. I  have an RRA with a 20" Varmint barrel (on layaway). Want to go on a P dog trip next year. Been checking out scopes...and been lurking here. Will mostly be shooting paper..and steel out to max of 300yds.....which is our range max. Then possibly check out decreasing the coyote population in my area. This is my first AR...been a shotgun/pistol guy. Two scopes on my "short" list are the SS 10x42..and  the Hawke Sidewinder 30 4.5-14x42. Would like to keep the budget at $500...max. Any thoughts?
"Show me where the bullets go."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 13:12
Originally posted by Short Shot Short Shot wrote:

Thought I would jump in here. I  have an RRA with a 20" Varmint barrel (on layaway). Want to go on a P dog trip next year. Been checking out scopes...and been lurking here. Will mostly be shooting paper..and steel out to max of 300yds.....which is our range max. Then possibly check out decreasing the coyote population in my area. This is my first AR...been a shotgun/pistol guy. Two scopes on my "short" list are the SS 10x42..and  the Hawke Sidewinder 30 4.5-14x42. Would like to keep the budget at $500...max. Any thoughts?

I'm having a radical rethink. Checked out an ACOG..3x30. at the "local" store. I will have to save up for it...but I think for an overall scope for my AR..and the fact that I may only shoot P dogs once a year this may be the best bang for my buck.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 19:35
Re thinking the ACOG......eye relief was sketchy. So now I am totally confused. My friends think I am "over thinking" on a choice for this rifle. Maybe they are right....(sigh).   Whacko 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 20:51
The 1.5x compact ACOG has more eye relief but the 3x version is quite useable I have one in a La Rue RCO mount which places it at the back of the rail.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 18:22
Went back and re-read this. So...I'm thinking either the ACOG or the 6x24 SS M. May actually get the SS...due to the price point... with the SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm/1inch mount. Seems like a lot of scope for the money...and the reviews are positive.
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 14:54
I really like the Vortex Viper PST in Mil or MOA. Anybody have one?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 15:59
They are not available yet, except for a small initial batch
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 16:35
I will be at Shot Show in January I will see if I can pick some up.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 07:27
You can't pick them up if Vortex hasn't released them yet.  Big Grin
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:07

What's the hold up? I physically picked them up and looked thru them last year.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:09
They found some issues that they neded to fix so they only let one order get sent out for sale. since then they have held them back and redesigned some things I believe.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:22

Thanks SVT_Tactical, I really liked the reticle fast target acquisition with illumination but with a precession non illuminated. It looks like it will be a winner.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic