OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 09:58
Not sure.  I can't imagine the scope has any difference mechanically other than a different reticle. Some may just prefer.
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:18
is there any difference in accuracy from adjusting the turit on the nikoplex rather than the bdc
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:21
with the BDC you would set it for your zero check your BDC marks and leave it you wouldn't dial in for correction you would holdover.  For the plex you would dial each shot in for the different distances.  As far as acuracy i don't think you'd see a difference.  Only think you may have is a finer aiming point with the plex because the marks on the BDC may be larger than the crosshair intersect.  That said and most AR15 aren't gonna be accurate enough to tell that bit of difference and if you have one that can you should be looking at a different line of scopes all together.
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:51
The rifle i bought is located on this site. I also got a chrome bolt carrier and an eop rail. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=229

I am new to AR-15 all together. I have been shooting shotguns, trap, skeet, and pistols my whole life but I am new to target shooting and coyote hunting especially with an AR
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:53
 I really do appreciate all of your help.  I know I must sound like I dont know what I am doing at all. I wish I would have found this site before I ordered my rifle. I had so many questions then too
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 10:54
i think you'll be fine with the BDC but its whatever you think youll do  is what i would plan for.  That gun sould be a 1MOAish gun which is good and normal for the AR.
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 11:00
Would you suggest a type of mounting rings as well? Something that will work with an EOP Rail.  I like the BDC just a little nervous that with all of the dots, a quick shot may result in using the wrong dot. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 11:10
Thats why you practice practice practice.  Depending on what type hunting your doing but lets say you call a couple yotes' in and they are at 100yds, you take one and the other scats, hes running and when you get back on him he is getting close to 200 yds away or what not if you know your second BDC mark is good for that distance its great for that second fast follow up shot to try to get a double.  Thats kinda the premise behind the Nikon coyotee special scoeps they sell.  They have gotten great reviews.  

With a EOP like that i would use rings vs a one piece like a burris PEPR because of getting a good check weld.  Depending on what exact scope you got and the size of the obj that will determine the ring height you need. 
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 11:13
thanks
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 16:59

Also brady brought up a good point I forgot to mention most BDC reticlesthey are only true on one magnification. so if you sight in useing say 9x then when on 3x the pOI could be different.

stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 17:08
SO if i were to buy the nikoplex... i could site it in on say 3x and switch the turret for distance. but if i go to a 6x or 9x will it still work with the turret?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 19:58
if you got the nikoplex you would dial in your distances so it wouldnt be the same for 3x or 9x  its the bdc that would be mag dependant possibly
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 20:54
alright thanks. i am new to the whole new bdc and turret idea. I have two other scopes and they are just plain out 3X9.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 00:16
I have discussed the Nikon Coyote scopes with a guy who had one on the range and while it may work ok he was quite frustrated with the circles.   I have a Nikon Omega with BDC circles and I understand its issues but it is my least favorite scope. I would suggest you keep this simple and use a fixed power scope either a fixed 6x42 Super Sniper which has tactical knobs to dial in correction and mil dots to range find or use as hold over marks or a FX3 6x42 Leupold either in the heavy duplex for low light or the long range duplex which is a BDC reticle.  There are some huge problems with selecting a BDC reticle with a medium to high power top end on a variable. The BDC reticles are typically only true at the maximum magnification of the optic at all lower powers your fiele of view what you see side to side becomes wider as you reduce magnification while the reticle stays the same this is true of all second focal plane scopes. A FFP first focal plane scope reticle can be used for hold over at any magnification and the 3-9x42 Super Sniper has a FFP reticle that is mil dot and the clicks on the knobs are in MIL s so if you need to correct 4.2 mils for  600 yds you can dial in .2  two clicks and hold over using the 4th mil dot down from center.  When you print a balistic chart in Mils you will know how much holdover each mil dot is and what yardage it represents. If you want a traditional optic do yourself a favor and pick one of the ones I mentioned or select any brand of fixed 4x or fixed 6x or a 3- 9 Zeiss Conquest If you are going to hunt coyotes the scope needs to be bright in low light that eliminates high power optics or set it up for prairie dogs and go with a high power optic but spend what it takes to get a decent scope like a Sightron S III

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 00:20
Did you see the La Rue mount on my 6x42 Super Sniper that is what I would suggest however Super Sniper -  SWFA does have a mount that is a lot less expensive and should work for you.
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1 SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Picatinny MIL-STD-1913
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 12:35
does anyone know the ins and outs of Konus? like are they a decent brand? Comparable to who? 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 21:18
I have not seen a Konus and the product line is new this year to SWFA. I would venture a guess that Koshkin has seen them at shot show.  Best guess from the price is that it is perfect for those willing to pay nothing and expect everything.  Would I spend my hard earned money on one - NO.  It really cant be worse than a BSA so if you are determined that is what you want be sure and tell us all about it.  If you start off with relatively low expectations it may be something that will get you bye untill you are willing to upgrade.  If you would rather buy one time and have the scope last a lifetime try the 6x42 Super Sniper or a Leupold or a Zeiss Conquest or at least a Vortex and while Vortex does not have as many years of proven reliability as the others I mentioned they do have a wonderful warranty. I would buy a Pentax a long time before I would buy a Konus at least Pentax has 50+ years in the camera business so they know lenses and are very value priced.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 11:31
Another option is the EOtech with a 3X magnifier, which might be a little more out of your range, but leopold has a new reflex sight out, the HAMR I believe, might be worth looking into to see if it fits your needs.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 23:26
What about the Vortex Viper 2-7?  Couple reticles that would work for moving targets, and on sale still I do believe...spend extra money on beer.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Pookas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 14:22
Posting in this Topic because of subject, not to highjack the post. I have a Bushmaster AR-15 Flattop and want to leave the iron sights on but would like to have a nice scope. Budget around $1,000. I'm looking at the Trijicon ACOG TA31F and will be "mainly" hunting hogs in Texas. Don't have a clue about distances but I can't imagine anything but between 50 to 300 yards max. I like the Trijicon because of the reputation and it looks sexy (anyone know what I mean). Am I nuts or on the right track?

Thanks a bunch for any help.
Go Hogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic