OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 Scopes
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:12
I recently bought an AR-15 from Rock River Arms, the Predator Pursuit Mid-Length. I am looking for a decently priced scope but good quality. I plan on doing quite a bit of coyote hunting. There are not a ton of shots I take over 300 yards. I was looking at the M-223 by Nikon in the 3-12 or the Konus that is similar. I like the lighted sights on the Konus because I am colorblind and the blue really stands out for me. Any comments or suggestions?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:24
Whats your price range?
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:30
I would like to stay around $400. I know I spent a lot on the actual gun so I shouldn't skimp on the optics but it is just not in the financial reach to spend more right now.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:32
I have  been happier with Trijicon Compact ACOG's on an AR than anything because they are so compact. Do you see red green or amber if so one of those should work.  The 1-4x accupoint trijicon is another possible.  If illuminated doesnt do it for you try the Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP scope or the 6x version or a Leupold VX3 6x42

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:33
$400 puts you in range of a fixed 6x42 Super Sniper or a Leupold FX3 6x42 but you wont get the others for that.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:35
I have looked at some scopes that are red lit.  I am red/brown/green colorblind so these dont work well for me. I have only found one that was blue lit and that was the konus
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:40
 I am not sure if I like the BDC on the Nikon.  I know I am not interested in Mil Dot systems. I want something that is user friendly and good quality. Like I said, I like the Nikon line but have not heard many things about it.  I am kind of new to rifle shooting. I do have a Nikon Monarch on my 25-06 and like it. I would like something in a 3-12 or similar. 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:55
Too much scope on an AR turns a rifle designed for fast action into a banchrest queen for what you want to do  -  coyotes you need to use a scope you can work with without a rest, one with a wide field of view to be able to find the moving animal and preferabley one wiht illumination so you have contrasting reticle in low light.  I would probably not want a really large scope nothing over 42mm and a 3x or 4x would be plenty with 6x being the most I would want. A 6x can still be hand held and get on target but that is about the max.  I use a 3x or a 1.5x Trijicon compact ACOG and the 1.5 with amber triangle is sub moa at 300 yds working off the tip of the triangle. For your purpose I would probably zero at 200 yds and hold a tad under them if closer.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:56
i will give them a look. thank you for your input. I feel lost in this field of scopes. There are so many to pick from. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 14:01
if you want lit reticle and need blue the only one I know is konus
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 14:45

I am also using a rra predator pursuit. the gun has a meopta meostar 3x10-50 #4rectical which is a little out of your price range 400$  The zeiss conquest 3x9 would fit your needs, great scope for the money
Zhurh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 14:49
At 100 yards, the red dot on my 4X32 acog covers over an inch on the bulls eye target. The horseshoe ghost ring covers the 8 inch circle at 100 yards.  At 5-6 hundred yards, that host ring covers 5-6-7 foot circle.  At larger size game, fine; at smaller game cross hairs might work better; it sure is quick to target though.

We have 5 AR's and use them for hunting all the time off snowmachine, on 4 wheelers, ect; kinda my go to gun when I'm riding around. Two of them have that cheap 250 dollar leupolds and it works just fine.  I have a 338 fed armalite ordered and not sure if it will be an aimpoint or eotec, but will be a close range scope for road hunting.

Ya know what would be the real deal? One of those new camo rems with and eotec & a crosshair scope sitting of to the left hand side on one of those adapters; have to dream on that some.  We see alot of game traveling the river & our winter closed roads on snowmachines.  Ar's slinged across your chest are the ticket for quick shooting when your still coasting to a stop. Usually wolves hear ya and are gone, but there are times you'll catch them following the caribou migration and you can get close.  A combination bracket that mounts dual scopes got to be the way to go. Warne makes such a bracket.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 00:27
There seems to be some confusion regarding if this is AMBER (yellow) or RED  Call and ask if you are interested in it this is a good price on it and anything much larger would be clumsy on an AR.
Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Riflescope DEMO-C
  $519.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl07_OurPrice_VS value=UvGx1b0Hon0OkMPwvw4aQI/MdVqCkxvt4MKo31K6TTx9S3QHMGmk1rhkP24Iip0d = name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl07$OurPrice$VS>

Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Riflescope DEMO-C

Stock # - SPL12679

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 00:28
Optics shown 6x42 Super Sniper, Aimpoint Comp M4s Trijicon Compact ACOG 3x red crosshair.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 08:43
I want to thank everyone for their input. I appreciate everyone's opinion. Is there somewhere that I can look at the color of he trijicon's lit crosshair? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 08:45
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-Accu-Point-Rifle-Scopes-C207.aspx
click on the image of the reticle for a larger view
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 09:35
do you know how accurate the nikon m-223 is on the bdc? i habe heard you want the nikoplex not the bdc is there a reason why
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 09:43
The thing with a BDC type reticle is it is rarely "perfect" for any gun.  The only time you should rely on a BDC mark is after you have spent time on the range and confirmed at what distance that point of impact is accurate for.  Example.  The hash mark or bdc mark is designed to be good for 100, 200, 300 ..... where for your gun and load it may be 100, 175, 250 .... etc.  So as long as you test it and confirm you are ok.  Some people think just slap it on the gun and its good, not the case.  HOWEVER the same applies to dialing in your shots.  just because some ballistics calculator or turret marking tells you that from 100 to 200 or so on is 10 clicks or what not you still have to confirm this on a range.  Once you get to a range make yourself a data card with the information you get telling you how many clicks you need and all you can tape it to your gun for quick reference in the field.  so either one will need range work to "perfect"
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 09:53
thank you for your help. that was very informative. i will be sure to do something like this. 
stud722 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stud722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 09:55
Do you know anything about why people are saying Nikoplex instead of the BDC? I am not sure what it was. Something about it only comes with some special feature with the Nikoplex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic