OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Grand Slam vs Vortex Viper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Grand Slam vs Vortex Viper
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 11:24

I just bought a new Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 with the fine crosshair/dot reticle.  I went with the Weaver because I've been trying forever to find a scope manufacturer that still offers a dot reticle for a reasonably affordable price.  The scope is going on a .25-06.  I ordered from SWFA and it was $380 and you get a free canvas range bag ($125 value).

Now I was looking around and saw the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with the dot reticle being offered for 37% because it has been discontinued.  It's priced at $250.  All of the reviews I have seen rank the Vortex Viper higher than the Weaver Grand Slam.  Should I change my order from the Weaver and go with the Viper?  That's $130 less for a scope that is generally ranked higher than the Weaver.  And I could really care less about the range bag that comes with the Weaver.  What should I do?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 11:32
Me personally I'd go with the viper.  I have that model with a mildot reticle and its very nice.  Weaver is no slouch but the cost difference and money in your pocket talks. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 11:33
I'd jump on the Vortex if it were my decision.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 11:42
I agree with SVT... the weaver is a great scope, but for the money I'd go with the viper.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 12:11
Viper,
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 12:13
Another for viper.
-Matt
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 12:34
I have the Viper with the Dot Reticle...I like it so far...that's where I'd put my money.   I guess I already did.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 12:53
Without a doubt, the Viper.
Olympus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:14
Thanks for the responses everyone.  I kinda figured it was a no-brainer, but I wanted to get some other thoughts.  I mean $130 less for a better scope is just too hard to pass up.  I've never owned a Vortex, so that's another reason I wanted to get some other opinions.  I appreciate the help.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 13:26
Most likely it will be the first of many Wink
Olympus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 18:08
Is it going to be a problem that it's a 30mm tube?  It will be going on a T/C Encore with a Talley one-piece mount.
Olympus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 18:30
You're not gonna believe this!

I went to go buy the Viper scope and SWFA upped the price to $279.95 now.  When I first posted this thread it was $249.95.  And the description said 37% off, now it says 40%. 

Exactly how did the discount increase 3% and the price increase $30?  Whacko
csacpt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csacpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 18:54
Originally posted by Olympus Olympus wrote:

You're not gonna believe this!

I went to go buy the Viper scope and SWFA upped the price to $279.95 now.  When I first posted this thread it was $249.95.  And the description said 37% off, now it says 40%. 

Exactly how did the discount increase 3% and the price increase $30?  Whacko
Check closely, The higher price is for the Vortex 6.5-20x50  I think.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 19:47
Just checked the SWFA price...it's 249.95.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
Olympus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 15:13
Damnit!  Ordered the wrong one then!  Cencored
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 15:54
Time to call 1-972 SCOPE-ITWink
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 16:59
Trust me you want the 50mm anyway.  Even with the 50mm the scope is pretty much useless at 18 and 20x.  The eye placement is so critical it is almost impossible to get behind.  The slightest and I mean slightest movement of you eye and the image goes black.  Up to 16x it is a great scope, beyond that it is very lacking, and the 44mm would be even worse

Edited by supertool73 - October/13/2010 at 09:44
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 18:32
+1/change now while you can.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 20:21

I've been very happy with my vortex purchase, with the discounted prices I'm sure they're selling quit well

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 01:59
$50 rebate and a free gear bag with the purchase of a Weaver Super Slam scope!  Someone please order one and let us know how good it is.  There's very little feedback out there on these scopes.  It's not on the SWFA 2009 scope scale.  These could be "the one" and we don't even know it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic