OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another Field Shoot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Field Shoot
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 08:32
This past Sat i attended a field shoot in the rather open spaces of the highveld about 80 km east of Pretoria.
It was an inter club with 5 clubs competing.
Conditions were tough with a strong (approx 20mph) wind blowing. This in aplace not known for wind.
First up for me were 8 inch gongs I estimated at about 250 - 270 m away. I allowed 8 inches for the wind. I maged 4 out the 5, a good start for the day. Most guys were getting 0 or 1 out of 5!!
Position was lying over a rock.

next up another 5 lane gong with the wind from behind, but swirling. I took the first gong at 350m and 4 inches off and scored a hit. Quite chuffed I took the nearest gong at 150m .hit. Then missed the rest over the top! Think I over estimated distance.

Next Impala standing at 60 m about. My rifle jammed on feeding the top round. As this was a timed event I rushed the shots and ended up with a poor score.

Next up at warthog, our position sitting in rocks at about 100m. I got a decent score.

Next up springbuck at about 200 m, position lying down with tyre as rest. Once again allowed about 4 inches for wind. Windage correct, but shots went a bit high. still got decent points.

lastly blesbuck at about 285 m. Position lying down using a small rock as rest. I allowed 8 inches for wind, which was about 2 inches to much. Again shots went a bit high. maybe my zero a bit out on the higher altitude? Anyway, still got points.

The blesbuck in the foreground for reference of shot placement. targets are in the distance where green and brown meets.

Overall the targets may look a bit closer then they are due to zoom lens.

I managed a 6th placing overall. I am quite happy given my dismall performance with rifle jamming. This shoot was also against the selected team members from all the other clubs, so there was strong competition.

Edited by 8shots - October/11/2010 at 08:37
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 08:40
Great report 8's  Hopefully next time wilma will coroporate and you'll get 1st!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic