OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best rifle for under 800.00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best rifle for under 800.00
    Posted: October/10/2010 at 15:39
i am looking at getting a new rifle for elk hunting in eastern Oregon, i currently have a tikka t3 lite 270 Winchester, i shoot a 140 accubond round that i am pretty sure would be good enough to take down an elk, but if not can i get some recommendations as to what i should get, i am not the biggest guy so i more than likely will not want something that is going to kick like a mule. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 16:42
It's certainly not how BIG you are that matters in what rifle you use.  It is how you put all the pieces of "riflemanship" together.  My max weight is 162lbs, after my recent "trip", I'm weighing in at about 150, sometimes in the 147 range.  I hunt with a .458 Lott and regularly shoot an 18lb .50BMG rifle.  I just ordered a .338 Lapua Magnum for a "fun gun".  One of my most common hunting rifles is 7mmSTW.  You don't need a max loaded cartridge for every sitiuation.  While I have hunted whitetail deer with .458Lott and WinMag 500gr DG loads, it is not necessary... so I'm using 350gr bullets loaded to 2000fps for the Lott.  Elk... 30-06 180-220gr is outstanding, 150gr will certainly work. 
.270 is not a caliber I like... I just don't, but a lot of elk have been taken with it.  Some people love it and swear by it. 
Don't let your size determine what you hunt with... try some different calibers and let your ability be the "judge". 
I like the .458 Lott... guaranteed to knock down anything that walks on the planet...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 17:05
You are a funny guy Kb,a458 lott for whitetail is called grape shot [:}
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 19:56
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

dont laugh i use a .375H&H myself.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 21:23
Originally posted by dezmick dezmick wrote:

i am looking at getting a new rifle for elk hunting in eastern Oregon, i currently have a tikka t3 lite 270 Winchester, i shoot a 140 accubond round that i am pretty sure would be good enough to take down an elk, but if not can i get some recommendations as to what i should get, i am not the biggest guy so i more than likely will not want something that is going to kick like a mule. 

I bet that Tikka T3 Lite already kicks like a mule......don't they weigh something like six pounds??    If you can shoot that, you are prepared for anything.....   

Try a 300 Winchester Magnum.......borrow one and shoot one first before spending a bunch of money....
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 21:26
....oh, I forgot.......go look at used rifles at a gun store and find one that you really like that doesn't cost $800.......    Bucky       That would be the best gun for under $800       
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 21:27
im super impressed with my wby vanguard.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 21:39
Steyr-mannlicher SBS or 96...
No one
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 22:00
Hard to beat the wby vanguard! also look at the tikka hunter. +1 on the 300wm`
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 22:02
The only two rifles I would consider would be a Tikka T3  or a Savage.  I prefer stainless with a detachable magazine. As for caliber the .270 will do the job but if you want more gun I think you are talking about either a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM or if you can tollerate the recoil a .338 Win Mag which is typically the choice of Alaska hunters.  The .338 WM retains a tremendous amount of energy at long distance and is a fine choice well able to take very large game even a long range. Now having said that many is the elk that has been killed with .243  7mm08  308  30-06 25-06 and the .270 which you already own.   With any of these cartridges it is about what bullet and where you place the bullet.  I would want one loaded with a Barnes bullet and Federal as well as several others use the Barnes TSX which is a copper hollowpoint. Using a .270 and really good ammo will do the job at reasonable distances and I would suggest inside 400 yds for that. Out past that you would truely be better off with a larger heavier bullet that retains more energy.  I have a friend who was an Army Sniper instructor and he kills elk every year with a .270 so its more about shot pacement and quality ammo than which caliber. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 22:04
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm  rifle recoil compared by caliber

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 22:20

More about shot placement than it is about caliber.  If you shoot well with the .270 you should be fine. If you just want a new gun, "not that it's a bad thing to have that addiction" get something a bit heavier than the T3 lite or one of the auto loaders from Remington. "staying in your budget"

I'm in the same weight class as Kick Boxer, and have a Browning 7mm mag BAR that I don't dread shooting. "well it's a buck a pop so I still dread the cost, but recoil is not an issue"

I saw a nice red stag taken with a 150 grain Hornady bullet from a .308  Skinning the animal it looked like a grenade hit it. Wasn't a full broadside presentation, and the bullet went into a lung on one side and stuffed part of the lung into the shoulder socket on the other side. Gruesome! 

Use a good bullet and place it well. You'll have no troubles.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 22:41
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

And I just got one of those... I needed a squirrel rifle...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 23:05
Laugh Above
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 01:26
If you like the .270 just take it on your elk hunt.  My uncle kills his bulls every year (it is something like 30 years straight) with his .270 and 130 corelokts, and they drop dead on the first shot.  The 140 accubond will do it without trouble.

That said, if you WANT another gun just go ahead and get one.  Any of the .300 magnums are classic elk cartridges.
-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 06:16
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

it will fill that need wellExcellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 08:37

I would sure hate to meet one the squirrels in your area!!!Shocked
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 11:54
Browning X-Bolt
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 20:37
Originally posted by Hatari Hatari wrote:

I would sure hate to meet one the squirrels in your area!!!Shocked

pssh you ought to see the raccoons!!

Edited by pyro6999 - October/14/2010 at 19:54
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2010 at 09:24
That 270 will do the job for sure if you can do yours. If you just want another gun, look at a 300 win mag, similar trajectories in standard bullet weights. I have both and would use either for elk. I'm using the 270 this weekend for deer and next month for elk. Good luck with your choice, cant go wrong.

Regards,

Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic