OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pistol scopes NcStar vs Simmons?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol scopes NcStar vs Simmons?
    Posted: October/10/2010 at 09:59
I'll be target shooting and hunting jack rabbits (plentiful in SE New Mexico) at 30 to 50 yards. I've seen the NcStar illuminated scopes, but have heard they're not very good. For a 22 lr pistol do you think the NcStar would be better than the Simmons? I will be hunting jack rabbits early morning and late evening. I may be wrong but I just don't think I need to spend $500 on a scope for a 22 lr, if I were buying one for a gun with a lot of recoil (44 mag or 454) it would be a different story. Thanks, Bernie
It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, it's the moments that take our breaths that count.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 00:40

Take the NcStar and your pistol to the range, and the necessary tools and mount(s) to mount the NcStar to your pistol.

Shoot 10 rounds at 50 yards using the NcStar scope, then remove it.

Shoot 10 rounds at 50 yards using the supplied open/iron sights.

I think you’ll find you can see better without the NcStar.

Unfortunately, the Simmons, depending on the model, won’t be much better.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Bernie Link View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 06:15
Thanks Magnumdood for your thoughts. My problem with sights (and the S&W 22a has good ones) is that I'm nearly 65 yo and near sighted (eyes don't work as well as they used to) I take my glasses off so I can see the sights better but when I do that I can't see the target very well. I'm thinking the magnification of a scope will help me see both. Thanks again, Bernie
It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, it's the moments that take our breaths that count.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 22:28

I really feel like you'll be disappointed with a NC Star. 

Better option

http://swfa.com/Konus-2-8x28-Konuspro-Pistol-Scope-P47386.aspx

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 00:10
Originally posted by Bernie Link Bernie Link wrote:

Thanks Magnumdood for your thoughts. My problem with sights (and the S&W 22a has good ones) is that I'm nearly 65 yo and near sighted (eyes don't work as well as they used to) I take my glasses off so I can see the sights better but when I do that I can't see the target very well. I'm thinking the magnification of a scope will help me see both. Thanks again, Bernie

We're probably talking degrees of not seeing well, but...when shooting with open sights, the rear sight is a blur, the front sight should be crystal clear/razor sharp, and the target is a blur.   Many people fail to shoot well with open sights because they want to focus on the target, and that just doesn't work.  You must focus on the front sight, and since we can only focus on one plane at a time, by necessity, the rear sight and the target are blurred.  This is one of the biggest advantages of scopes; the scope places the reticle and the target on the same plane, so you can focus on both at the same time, like you wanted to. 

Now, your vision may be too poor to see even a blurred target well enough to use open sights, in which case I believe you would benefit from decent optics.  Just avoid NcStar; they are truly junk.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
bill99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2011 at 09:52
I've had good & bad experiances with NcStar & hesitate to recommend any other than the 2X7 power Pistol Scope. I have two of those on contender barrels, a 22.WRM & .22 hornet, & both have held up well after hundreds of rounds. I had a 2 1/2X Ncstar fall apart after 3 mild .38 special rounds & a 4X that had such bad optics that I returned it unused. I've 2x, 4X & 2X6 power Simmons scopes mounted on .38 spec. 7TCU, .22K Hornet & .223 barrels & have had no problems at all after hundreds of rounds thru each. For those bouncing bunnies, (I spent 6 years doing it in west Texas) I'd go for the 2X Simmons if all your shooting is offhand, the 4 or 2X6 if you use a rest for longer yardages.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2011 at 16:03
Of the two--Simmons
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic