OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Jarrett rifles....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jarrett rifles....
    Posted: October/08/2010 at 22:44
Does anybody have or ever shot one?

I would like one, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense of buying another rifle, especially at that price range.  However....

I have a sako bavarian 300 win mag, it seems the 300 jarrett is a slightly better round.  I have thought about having them rechamber it for 300 jarret and add one of their barrels.  I'm not sure how much this would cost but it must be cheaper than building a rifle from scratch.  Not sure how much of an advantage it would truely give over what I have now.

Good idea or just a waste of money?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 06:10
not to be a smart ass but how many wal marts have you been in that carry .300 jarrett ammo?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 08:22
You either roll your own (necking down 8mm mag brass to .30 cal) or, buying it from Kenny Jarrett if he would sell you any.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 09:42
The swap to Jarret is going to be very costly. The benefit in ballistics, to me, is just not enough to justify it. .300 win mag is a potent round as is.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 10:24

Nothing in NC will get up from a well placed 300 win mag shot. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 10:50
The Jarrett will probably add 100-150 fps over the 300 WM. In the field that amounts to nothing basically. Not worth the time and expense IMO.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 00:06
I realize the sako 300 win mag is more than adequate for all of my hunting needs.  I guess I'm just looking for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you've got the very best.  And with the sako with a jarrett barrel I would probably have similar accuracy on a fine looking rifle, at about half the cost of a Jarrett rifle.  But the practical difference is neglible in the field, so I will probably hold off on going through with it.

As far as ammo goes....the rounds are  close to $5 each.  I would buy about 50 rounds and reload.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 00:18
Originally posted by pass-thru pass-thru wrote:

I realize the sako 300 win mag is more than adequate for all of my hunting needs.  I guess I'm just looking for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you've got the very best.  And with the sako with a jarrett barrel I would probably have similar accuracy on a fine looking rifle, at about half the cost of a Jarrett rifle.  But the practical difference is neglible in the field, so I will probably hold off on going through with it.

As far as ammo goes....the rounds are  close to $5 each.  I would buy about 50 rounds and reload.
Why do you think the 300 Jarrett cartridge is the very best?
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 00:46
It may not be the very best as that's subjective and situation dependent.  But it is ballisticly better than 300  win mag, either of which suit my needs just fine.  I want flat trajectory and the ability to kill anything in North America. Do you know a round better suited for that than 300 Jarrett?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 08:03
why not just buy a .300wby or a .300 ultramag or a .30-378wby?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Corndawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 08:19
I shoot a 7mm STW which is basically a necked down .300 Jarret. The Jarret is fine caliber, and Jarret builds good stuff, although Jarret himself will probably never see your rifle (I'm told he employs a legion of smiths).
If you are just looking for a big, bad .30 at a reasonable cost, try an off the rack .300 ultra-mag like pyro suggests.

Sako offers a rifle in the Lazzaroni 7.82 warbird (wicked), but you'll pay to shoot those babies.
I like to measure powder by the cup.

You can tell a lot about a man by the edge he keeps on his pocket knife.

ROLLTIDE!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 10:03
Have you tested your shooting abilities? Something like 4 out 5 shoots standing at 200 yds, no sling in a compressed time limit-- with the wind blowing.? Kneeling with support elbow on knee. Done 25-30 jumping jacks go prone and shoot a hunting scenario?  Caliber and rifle names don't mean much without the skills.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 10:38
It appears to me that the measure of "best" is velocity, so the 300 RUM would be a better choice than the 300 Jarrett. The difference in recoil between the 300 WM and the 300 Jarrett/300 RUM is quite noticeable so just remember that once rechambered it's kinda like a haircut. Only works one way.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 11:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Have you tested your shooting abilities? Something like 4 out 5 shoots standing at 200 yds, no sling in a compressed time limit-- with the wind blowing.? Kneeling with support elbow on knee. Done 25-30 jumping jacks go prone and shoot a hunting scenario?  Caliber and rifle names don't mean much without the skills.
I shoot very well.  However, I would not take an off hand shot at game 200 yards away, so I don't practice shots like that.  Every shot I take at game is braced and/or with a solid rest.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 12:13
I would stick to the WM for many of the reasons mentioned. If I was to get one of his excellent rifles I think I would still go with the .300 WIN.
Is that your raptor?
Doug
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 17:11
+1
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
mcoletta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcoletta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 02:58
I have shot a couple of Kenny Jarrett guns. They are top notch. If you can afford them you shoould do it. My father inlaw owns two of his guns in 300 one 338 .

They are nice rifles.

He also owns a Bansner light weight rifle in 300 wm and that gun is also very nice. Both very nice guns.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic