OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper zero reset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper zero reset
    Posted: October/08/2010 at 20:03
After zeroing in my Vortex Viper, I went to the zero reset procedure in the manual.  However, when I aligned the zero on the index line (on the windage turret) the turret does not go back in all the way as it does on the elevation turret.  Also, there are lines underneath that have 0, 2 and 4 which you can see as you pull out the turret cap to do the zero reset...not sure what they designate.  Did I do something wrong?
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 15:50
 Which Viper you got,qball?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 19:59
6.5X20 - 44.  Also, there are 4 numbered lines under the turret cap when you pull it out...no explanation in the manual that I've found.  The turret will only come back down to the second line with the zero mark lined up with the index.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 22:43
Not sure, but the numbers you are talking about should be for keeping track of which revolution the turret is on, makes sense if you are zeroed, to be on the 2nd line up on the turret. I cannot give any advice other than this, because I don't own any Vipers, but be patient and someone will be along that has some first hand knowledge.  Good Luck.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 07:05
  SORRY,qball.  I'm not familiar with those turrets so can't comment on the numbers but both of the spring loaded knobs on my 2-7 Viper seat the same easily.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 08:01
Thanks....I'll probably have to give Vortex a call.  I would think all the Viper turrets would be the same??
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 08:14
 You can PM Sam@Vortex here at OT.

There are diff turrets on the Vipers a tall and a short.  The short ones have no numbers under the cap.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 08:48
Thanks...I did consider the post by Getsome, that maybe since the reticle is no longer at center, this would be a visual indication of that, except that I had about an equal amount of clicks on the elevation turret after zeroing at the range and that one returned nearly flush compared to the windage knob.  Appreciate the responses.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 10:37
For anyone who cares...I talked with Brian at Vortex (great bunch of folks and always very helpful).  He said it is normal to see the underlying marks and with the reticle centered the 2 line should be just visible (at least on this model).  I must not have noticed how they looked before I zeroed the scope.  Hoping to scare some prairie dogs tomorrow.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 10:41
Good luck.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 12:01

those lines designate number of turns complete turns of a turret.

savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic