OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon or Bushnell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon or Bushnell
    Posted: October/08/2010 at 18:00
of these two scopes which is better, or if there is another one that i should be looking at in about the same price range let me know.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42328.aspx

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-10x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P245.aspx

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 19:56
Both good choices, but I personally prefer the Nikon
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 20:19

Flip a coin.

Optically they are nearly the same. The Bushnell has rainguard which can be a really big plus if this is going to be a hunting rifle. For a bench gun, either one would serve you well, and Nikon gets the edge in customer service. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 20:55
better eye relief with monarch, rainguard with the bushnell. questionable cs dept for both. yeah flip a coin dudeBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 21:05
+1 for elite because of the rainguard,the only real difference!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 21:52
Originally posted by dezmick dezmick wrote:

of these two scopes which is better, or if there is another one that i should be looking at in about the same price range let me know.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42328.aspx

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-10x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P245.aspx

Never seen the Nikon but I own that Bushnell and have no complaints about it at all except the price of it over here. Loco
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 00:40
One of the few monarchs with a decent range of adjustments (70 moa). The Nikon warranty is better, although Nikon CS is not the greatest. Rainguard is a + for Bushnell. Optically imho they are very, very close: maybe slightly better clarity for the Bushnell, larger sweet spot for the Nikon? Eye relief might be a bit more critical on the Bushnell for my eyes - but this is such a personal thing, I find it really varies with the person. In terms of lowlight I find them equivalent.

Overall, I'd go with the Nikon. I don't like non-transferable warranties, and Bushnell CS is as bad as NIkon.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 10:16
Can't say nothing but good about Nikon's customer service.  When my scope died they replaced it.  In fact, here is a recent post about Nikon's warranty.  Now, if you're contemplating a Nikon refurbished scope, then that is a different story.  They are only good for 90-days.  After that...?

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 13:49
Can't say nothing good about Nikon's CS... Had a nightmare with a 3 week old Monarch that lost tracking .. They tried to charge me to repair it , then after 6 weeks of trying to get ahold of someone , "Ed " at Nikon okayed the warranty work. 3 Weeks later I received my now scratched up scope back.. I got rid of it .

I have had only 1 experience dealing with Bushnelll CS ,and it was for my Dad. I called about an older Trophy scope that took a tumble when my Dad dropped his rifle out of his tree stand on a rainy day. The scope fogged up slightly internally .This was a 20 year old scope, and Bushnell replaced it with a new one . We covered S&H only .

I have a several 4200's on hard kickers like 300 RUM and 300 Weatherby's -- no issues at all ..I'd order the 4200
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 16:48
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Can't say nothing good about Nikon's CS... Had a nightmare with a 3 week old Monarch that lost tracking .. They tried to charge me to repair it , then after 6 weeks of trying to get ahold of someone , "Ed " at Nikon okayed the warranty work. 3 Weeks later I received my now scratched up scope back.. I got rid of it .

I have had only 1 experience dealing with Bushnelll CS ,and it was for my Dad. I called about an older Trophy scope that took a tumble when my Dad dropped his rifle out of his tree stand on a rainy day. The scope fogged up slightly internally .This was a 20 year old scope, and Bushnell replaced it with a new one . We covered S&H only .

I have a several 4200's on hard kickers like 300 RUM and 300 Weatherby's -- no issues at all ..I'd order the 4200

that is one thing i will give the 4200's mine so far has been on the .375H&H and now sits on my .300wby. the 4200 is a damn tough scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 01:16
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic