OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swarovski warranty vs zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshepp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swarovski warranty vs zeiss
    Posted: October/07/2010 at 20:46

hello ive been  a reader of this forum for about 4months looks of good info. but i have been unable to find an aswer to a question i have before i spend money on an upper end scope.

the 2 scopes im interested in are the swarovski z5 & z6 44 obj  or the
zeiss victory diavari 2.5-10x50

problem is warranty info, zeiss is very upfront about theyre lifetime transferable .

whereas swarovski seems to avoid making theyre warranty info available. cant seem to find it on their website. spoke to someone at competitor & they stated full us warranty was only 2 years. this seems obsurb to pay $2000 for a product that the manufacturer has no more than 2 years of confidence in their product....... anyone have additional info i cant seem to find.  thanks
jts
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 20:51
Welcome to the OT forum. I'm not real familiar with Swaro's warranty, but two years doesn't sound right. Maybe they are referring to the illuminated reticle models having a shorter warranty on the electronics ?
jshepp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshepp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 20:53
one other question i meant to ask. im considering buying a demo zeiss w/ illuminated reticle. but there appears to be two types of control location.

1 i see is on the side where the parallex adjuster would be on some, the other is on top of the eye piece. what is the difference of these 2.
i assume one is an older version. but which is the newest model ?????
jts
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 20:58
Welcome to the OT!RF is correct it's the illum.Thats 2 years.I have a Z5 & the warrenty is for 10yrs limited.Both scopes are a toss of the coin optically,unless you go to the top then I would say Zeiss rules with their FL glass.

Based on the warrenty I'd go with the Zeiss!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 23:15
I'm looking at my warranty card and it says the Swarovski warranty is lifetime on optics and ten years on all other parts. Electronics is two years (like most manufacturers). This card is a few years old but I don't believe it's changed in a negative way.

Swarovski changed their website a year or two ago and it doesn't appear like they've finished all the hyperlinks. You used to be able to download the warranty info so the best way to get correct info about the warranty is a quick call to SONA. (800) 426-3089

If you do have to send something back for warranty, reticle change, etc. the work is usually done at SONA in the USA. I called them a few years ago and was told only illumination and the higher power (old PH) scopes had to be sent "across the pond". This was before the z3, z5, and the newer z6 (2.5-15 and 3-18) scopes were available. At the time they also said they only had two machines available for working on z6i technology so it had to be done in Europe.

As for turn around time, my experience had been around two weeks for reticle changes, that includes my shipping it to SONA from the West Coast and back. About three years ago I sent them a 15+ year old bino's for a checkup and they inspected the optics, cleaned all interior parts, and replaced/upgraded all exterior parts for free, round trip, about two weeks (Note: I didn't have the receipt nor a registration card to prove I was the original owner). Another time I called and they sent me 2 replacement turret caps (I scratched one up hunting) for free. They say that even though there's a 10 year warranty on parts it's not "black and white" and I believe them, Swaro definitely backs up it's products!!

Excellent

Edited by mike650 - October/09/2010 at 13:00
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 20:42
When I bought my Swarovski rifle scopes this year (non illuminated) I too inquired about their warranty.  As stated previously it is a lifetime warranty "but" it had to be purchased from an authorized Swarovski dealer.  What that said to me is "if I bought one from an individual or received one on a rifle in a private sale, there is no warranty.  
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 22:06
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

When I bought my Swarovski rifle scopes this year (non illuminated) I too inquired about their warranty.  As stated previously it is a lifetime warranty "but" it had to be purchased from an authorized Swarovski dealer.  What that said to me is "if I bought one from an individual or received one on a rifle in a private sale, there is no warranty.  

That sucks, you should sell your Swaro right away and buy a scope with a better warranty...  Roll on Floor Laughing

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 00:20
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

When I bought my Swarovski rifle scopes this year (non illuminated) I too inquired about their warranty.  As stated previously it is a lifetime warranty "but" it had to be purchased from an authorized Swarovski dealer.  What that said to me is "if I bought one from an individual or received one on a rifle in a private sale, there is no warranty".  

That sucks, you should sell your Swaro right away and buy a scope with a better warranty...  Roll on Floor Laughing

I agree but I bought both of them from authorized dealers (one of which was SWFA) so I'm covered.  

However, to be fair, a used Swarovski scope purchased from an authorized dealer such as SWFA's "sample list" it is covered.  Personally, I think its assine on Swarovski's part (as long as it is-not a gray market scope) for taking this stand but, its their kitchen.  Once this gets out, hopefully they will change their position.  (Some of) their competitors certainly have.

Jim 
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 00:30
I published a comparison  of manufacturers' warranties, including Zeiss and Swaro, in this thread a few days ago.

The Swarowski warranty does not match that of other top line manufacturers, although their customer support today is outstanding. Unfortunately, because their written warranty is not that great, you cannot be sure that it will always be true.
jshepp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jshepp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 09:27
well everyone thanks for the input as always --great!!!

spoke with zeiss rep she stated lifetime transferable . electronics 5yr . if electronic work is needed after 5 yrs scope will be sent to manufacturer in europe for inspection. cost of repairs provided to customer before work is started. i asked who covered shipping & was told zeiss does. estimated turn around 4-6 wks

well after all the input & talking with reps my decision has been made

zeiss victory diavari 2.5-10x50 T II retilcle 60 2IP

love that 2IP -no maginification of reticle

had zaw. warranty been up to par i would had loved to had the z6 but money is certainly an issue for me. wilfe told me this was a one time offer. & with zeiss transferable i can pass this down to kids with no future cost to them except for illum ret. i was concerned zaw. didnt have for confidence in their product.
jts
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 18:42
Good choice jshepp you can never go wrong with a diavari & the glass is just as good as the Z6!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic