OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upgrading my son's Leupy VX-II - recomendations?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upgrading my son's Leupy VX-II - recomendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading my son's Leupy VX-II - recomendations?
    Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:56
My son has a VX-II 3-9x40 on his 270 Win.  I bought this scope new in the late 80's. He wants a little more magnification and higher quality glass but has a very limited budget.   I've been reading a lot about the Vortex Viper Scopes.  Re quality, light gathering & clarity how do they compair to the VX-II?

Also, If he decides to sell the Leupy, how much should he expect to get for it?  The glass is in great shape but the body has some minor wear marks.

BTW, great forum!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:10
The viper will have better glass and thus a cleaner sharper image. 

As far as the worth.  I would send in a request for SWFA to appraise it for trade in value.

BTW, welcome to the OT.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:32
  WELCOME to OT!

The Viper will be better all around over his Leupold if for nothing else because of the optical advancements made since then.  If he is looking for more a bit more magnification then we're talking 4-12 (3.5-10 isn't much diff over 3-9).  So here is the Viper:

Having said that,a more modern 3-9 is going to seem like the diff between night and day to him.  ESPECIALLY the 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest which is a bit better optically than the Viper. I've got one of each and LIKE them both.  A 2-7 Viper and a 4X Conquest.

My choice of those two (others here may have suggestions also) would be the Conquest because of the eye relief of a constant 4" (any 4-12 in that price range is going to have minimal e/r),the edge in optics,and the better low light performance.  BUT both are QUALITY scopes.

As far as a fair price for his Leupold,SWFA takes trade-ins or will give you an appraisal.  I feel it's the best way to go.
                   SWFA Appraisal Form
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:35
The deeply discounted Viper 4x12x40 is a steal right now.  Plus the glass smokes the VX-II glass.  Probably get about $150-$200 for the VX-II depending on condition. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
BigDad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:36
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feed back.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:52
I have found that often when I wanted more magnification what I really needed was better glass...

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:57
 +1 !!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 10:08
You are dead on, better quality glass beats higher magnification all the time.

As to the original question, the Viper is a very good scope for the money and an excellent deal right now.  The Conquest line are even better yet in my opinion but quite a bit more money.  Either one has excellent CS.  The new VXII would be a big step up as well but not on the level of the Viper or the Conquest.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 12:15
4-12X40 Vortex Viper would be a great option and the price is great. I would buy it without looking ny other way.
BigDad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 13:30

Thanks again for help,  we're goning to get him the Viper 3-12x40.

hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 17:23
If you bought it back in the 80's it not a VX-II. It's a Vari-X II. The new VX-I is basically the old Vari-X II. I'd say on a good day it would be worth around $150-175. You might could get slightly more, or you might not depending on the day. However, it's not worth near what the current VX-II's cost as it's no where near the same. It's a close match to the VX-I. BTW VX-I's in that size often sell for $230 new just to give you an idea.

That being said, the Vipers are supposed to be more comparable which the VX-III glass, so it should be no comparison between the Vipers and your Vari-X II.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 19:37
Vortex all the way,a steal at this time.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic