OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bushnell 3200 or leupold VX-I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bushnell 3200 or leupold VX-I
    Posted: October/06/2010 at 00:18
which of these is the better scope? Im looking to scope a marlin 30-30 Xlr with a 2-7x32.

which one has better glass?
 which one is the tougher scope that will hold zero better?

Edited by dale.l - October/06/2010 at 00:21
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 06:13
the elite 3200 I had was a very tough scope. used it on a 223, 308, and 300 win mag for a while.  decent glass and it had rainguard which is an awesome feature.  It would get my vote. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 06:16
Some will obviously disagree but you're talking about $200 scopes which is a pretty competitive price category and most of the stinkers have been weeded out. I think you will find them fairly comparable so buy whichever you like the best as both are pretty nice serviceable scopes. I believe the bushnell will have a slightly longer ring spacing and it does have the rain guard feature where as the leupold will be a bit more compact & have the better warranty and CS reputation. The leupold also has friction adjustment which has worked fine for me & millions of other users but it might matter to you. I tend to like my vx-1 but I also have a couple of older bushnell scopechiefs that have been good scopes for the past 30 yrs. You are undoubtedly going to get some advice to look at the viper 2x7's on sale and these are a good option right now for the price range. You could also look at the redfield which is pretty much a clone of the vx-I. Just my .02

BTW there is a nice looking 2-7 3200 on the sample list right now for $149. If the warranty is intact it would probably be a nice scope and you could save $40-$50.

Edited by powderburn - October/06/2010 at 06:21
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 06:29
IMO, the Bushy wins. Glass is o.k. and as G says, the Rainguard is a nice feature .I don't like the Leupy's below the VX3 anyway.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:04
 I'd also consider this due to it's reticle:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:37
Vortex Viper 2x7x32 right now under $200 and better than both that you mentioned.  But of those 2 I'd go with the 3200.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
RAF1112 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAF1112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:41
I currently own both scopes (although the the Leupold sits in the closet...which should tell you something) and the Bushnell, IMO, has better glass.  It is not a huge difference to me but I would get the Bushnell.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 22:12
The VXI I had on a 338 win mag held zero perfectly.  The optics were horrible, though.  I'd get the Bushnell before the VXI.  
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 23:43
The Bushnell 3200 would be a clear winner. However, as said the Vortex Vipers on clearance are more comparable to a VX-III yet they are in the same price range as a VX-I. Actually, cheaper. When the Viper's aren't on clearance, the Burris FFII and Vortex Diamondback are much much better options. The VX-I just isn't that great of a scope. I've had two, and optically they both were worse than a $40 Simmons I had. Both in day light and in low light. They really weren't good at all optically. I've seen worse, but I've also seen a lot better for less money. The FFII just flat out blows it out of the water. It's a night and day difference and the Burris was $30 cheaper.

I will also say in the 3 and a half years I've owned my VX-I, it's been into Leupold for repair twice. The first time it looked like the insides were shaking after I shot. The second time it wouldn't hold zero.

I have another friend that bought one and his right out of the box wouldn't hold zero. He got it fixed and traded it for a .22 rifle.

Then I had a third friend that had one on a muzzle loader. He bought it used, but he used it for 2 years and then his failed. It quit holding zero too. He sold it to me very very cheap as he was fed up with it. I ended up getting it fixed and then sold it for a large profit. This optically wasn't any better than my other one.

Another thing is the friction adjustments to me are just horrible. They never seem to adjust right for me or track how I want it to. I hate those things.

Overall, I can't say anything really positive about this scope. I've seen worse scopes like I said, but There are quite a few better scopes in the same price range or even slightly cheaper.

I can say however, that I love my Burris FFII and would not even consider trading or selling it. It's just a great scope for the money. The Viper however is better and right now cheaper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic