OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long Range Target Shooting Scope.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Range Target Shooting Scope.
    Posted: October/05/2010 at 10:46
Well, I posted my question about a good long range scope a while ago, took what I learned from you guys and have moved on.  I started off asking what a good scope would be to put on my Ruger M77 7mm mag.  Well, I ended up with a Vortex Crossfire.  It served its purpose practicing on the abouve out to 300yards, but now I am ready for the next level. 

So, since then, I have scrapped that pencil barrel hunting canon and moved onto an F-Class rifle.  I picked up the Savage 12F TR with the accutrigger in a .308win with the super heavy 30" barrel.  This rifle should be better suited for beginner long range target shooting at 300-1000yards.

I upgraded the rifle, so back to the question of higher end optics.  I was looking around at scopes...and came across Zeiss, Vortex, Schmidt and Bender, Sightron, etc....but seem to have stopped at the Nightforce line.  Since my goal is to eventually get to 1000 yards, I was looking at the 12-42BR model with 1/8 MOA turrets.  The sole purpose of this scope is long range target with the possible side use of long range hunting.

Thoughts, would you buy something else for this price range?  It's $1750CDN taxes/shipping out the door.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 10:50
from a crossfire to a Nightforce.... that is an upgrade.   I would also through in USO as an option.  Enjoy your new rig
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 11:13
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

from a crossfire to a Nightforce.... that is an upgrade.   I would also through in USO as an option.  Enjoy your new rig

I just had a look at the US Optics line.  Those look really nice, but unfortunately twice the price of the nightforce I am looking at.  Thanks.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 02:19
I shoot to 1K on a semi-regular basis and a 8-32 BR would seem to be a better combo scope than the 12-42.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:07
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

I shoot to 1K on a semi-regular basis and a 8-32 BR would seem to be a better combo scope than the 12-42.

Thanks for your post, but I was just wondering why the 8-32 would be better suited for 1K? 

When weather conditions are favourable, my shooting instructor shoots 50X @ 1K. 

Is there a disadvantage to having the extra power?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:16
Its really all personal preference as far as the magnification goes.  Some shooter routinely use 10x to 1000yds.  I am one that doesn't like high magnification.  To me its only usefull if you do have a GOOD (ie. Expensive) rest system in place that will cradle the rifle.  the only thing that you will touch is the trigger in most BR comps.  Think about the amount of movement in the reticle with it turned up to those high mags, at 50X you could see it move if a fly farted and disturbed air within a foot of your barrel.  IMO 32 is way to much and 50 would be insane.  But thats my opinion only.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:23
Thanks for the input.  I guess I don't know what my personal preferences are as I have never shot 1K yet. :)  Well, at least with the 12-42X, I have the option to stay in the 16-20X range if I prefer, or go all the way out to 42X.    I guess my thinking is that I would rather have the option to dial more than wish I could dial more. 

I am assuming that since both they 8-32 and 12-42 are in the same nightforce line, there shouldn't be any difference in quality or optics clarity say if they are both dialed into 24X?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:31
If your going to compete in F class the 42 with a thin cross hair is usually the perferred choice. If just general shooting it depends on the size of the target, I use the 32 on 8x10 steel on a regular basis and it works well, although preferring a low mag has advantages. The higher the mag. , the more correct your shooting position and technicals have to be to watch the strike when using reactive type target or sight correction. On paper and with a spotter it doesn't matter as much. The more wt. the gun has also helps. Generally I like to use the highest mags on non recoil varmit types to watch the strikes and shoot at smaller targets under 500 yds.(golf balls). The ranging feature on the 32 is set at 22x and I'm sure its the same for the 42. If using the reticle for hold over, the moa's are calibrated at this power also and not 32. You will also need a 20 moa base. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:38
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

If using the reticle for hold over, the moa's are calibrated at this power also and not 32. You will also need a 20 moa base. 

Thanks for the post Dale, much appreciated.  I will mostly be using the scope for punching holes in paper shooting F class.  We get placement markers after every shot so I am not too concerned about watching the strike.

Question?  I already have a 20MOA base installed on my rifle.  I had it put on when I bought it, but it seems like its angled down towards the end of the barrel?  To me, to gain 20 MOA of elevation on the scope wouldn't it need to go the other way? 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:45
High end toward shooter-- like a dog in heat.
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 08:47
JUst in case I get edited-- the scope needs to point down with the line of sight so yu the shooter will lift the barrel up for long range.
Yogi Bera

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 09:10
Scope down barrel up...... the base is right.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 09:16
For a pure bench scope, you are correct.
It was when you mentioned hunting, is why I mentioned a lower powered scope.
12x as a minimum is a bit much for some people for hunting uses.
Depends on the person, and the type of hunting one is doing.

Originally posted by sgsxr sgsxr wrote:

Thanks for your post, but I was just wondering why the 8-32 would be better suited for 1K? 

When weather conditions are favourable, my shooting instructor shoots 50X @ 1K. 

Is there a disadvantage to having the extra power?

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 09:17

That is correct, sights work like women, exactly opposite to what you think.
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 09:24

Okay, thanks.  At first I had it mixed up in my head when I was thinking about it, but it makes sense now.  I was using the scope as the point of reference when I should have been thinking about the barrel.
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 09:28

For a pure bench scope, you are correct.
It was when you mentioned hunting, is why I mentioned a lower powered scope.
12x as a minimum is a bit much for some people for hunting uses.
Depends on the person, and the type of hunting one is doing.

Yeah, correct 95% bench shooting with the odd trip out for long range hunting.  I have another rig that I use for closer range hunting 0-300 yards.  Thanks. 

Since no one is steering me away from this scope, I think I am just about ready to place the order. 
Thanks to everyone for your input.
Elias023 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elias023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 03:37
Hello,
     Bushnell makes very reasonably priced scopes that are of good quality. I personally own one and have never had a problem with it and it stacks up well against my Leupold Vari-X III which costs three or four times as much.

Thanks

edited to remove link

Edited by Chris Farris - January/26/2011 at 08:13
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 17:27
Good one WouterRoll on Floor Laughing
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 17:37
I'd look at the Sightron S3, take all the left over money and put it into ammo and range time.

Many shooters make the mistake of blowing all their cash on stuff and can't afford to shoot.

The Sightron is a good scope, well worth the money, reticle will be good for you, elevation will be on the edge - but will be fine with a 20MOA base, turrets track true, glass is quite good for the price.

Trigger time will make you a much better shooter than will a more expensive scope.

Everyone may disagree.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 07:50
I too subscribe to the "more rounds downrange is better" school of thought. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic