OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who makes this vintage steel scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who makes this vintage steel scope?
    Posted: October/03/2010 at 18:44
This scope came on a rifle I just purchased.  The rifle is a 1974 Remington BDL and I would imagine this was the original glass.  I am thinking 1960's or early 70's era optic.  It is steel w/ crystal clear glass (mid day) and great clarity all the way to the edge of the lenses.  11.75" long w/ a 36mm objective, adjustments are 1/4 "/100yds, adjustable focus w/ a locking ring.   Appears and feels very well made.  It is a fixed power, I would imagine either 4x or 6x. Inside the caps are a gold sticker that states the adjustment "graduation value".   The turret housing does not go all the way around the tube and the caps are beveled at the knurling and then beveled again before they become the flat top of the cap.  The turret housing is also beveled off the 90 dgree where it joins the tube on both sides.  I know this sounds complicated but if you have ever seen a scope like this you will understand immediately.   I have not removed the rings to see if there is any identifying information as they are Weaver QRs and I do not want to screw the zero up.  As for markings there are none at all on the rest of the scope tube, ocular or objective.

I have researched vintage Weaver's, Lyman's, Redfield's, Unertl's...Can not find any pics that are like this otpic.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

After all this I can not get the pics to up-load.  Any help would still be appreciated.
Winston Churchill: "We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 19:09
 WELCOME to OT,scott!!

You need 50 posts before you can do certain things as a forum member.  Posting pics are one.  If you want to e-mail them to me I'll post them for you.

Edited by 300S&W - October/04/2010 at 07:13
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
scottm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 19:14

300 S&W...Pics are on the way to you email...about (5) from different angles.  Thanks for you help and time.  Scott.

Winston Churchill: "We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 19:21

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 20:39
  INCOMING!!

The turret in that pic looks the same as on my  Weaver K4-1  MICRO-TRAC(says M-T on left side of turret housing). No stickers in my caps.  Mine also measures 11 3/4"  Yours has a smaller objective diameter than mine which measures 39mm.  The info your looking for should be under the rear ring. What reticle?

Earl
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 22:40
ed may know what it is, he still uses a pair of tin cans and a string to talk to his ex wife.Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
scottm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 23:31

Hey guys...Thanks for all the help.  I have not been under the rear ring b/c I did not want to screw up the mounting w/ the QR rings and blow the zero.  I guess I can mount it, loosen the rear ring and the remove it again to look, replace it and get back close to zero, then fine tune it again.   Or...I can just put one of my Leupy 3s on it. 

Pyro...I guess UR a FF up there.  I am w/ Plano FD, Texas.  I got to meet an FDNY LT.(now retired b/c of injuries) he was one of the 4 or 5 that acuallly survived and were extricated from the towers.  We did not dwell too much on the rescue.  I think they were that group under the stairwell.  His name is Joe Turillo.  He was in town and came by for several hours and had lunch w/ us at 12 house.   I was working OT and happened to be riding seat on E12 that day.  I lucked out meeting him.  Hell of a nice guy.

I will let you guys know what I find under the rear ring.  Thanks again and stay safe. 
scottm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 23:33

Earl...sorry got side tracked there for a minute.  Reticle is a standard duplex.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 07:18

Thunbs Up  NO PROBLEM,Scott.

If you'd ever run into Mr.Turillo again give him THANKS for his service from all at OT.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 06:32
It's a WEAVER.     Big Grin         It's a goodie!!!            Coffee
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
scottm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 22:01
Thanks Ed...I am going to mount it and remove the top strap on the rear ring.  I am presuming that is where it will be marked.  Will pass it on when I find it.  Thanks again to all of you for your help.  Stay safe, shoot straight and teach a kid to hunt and fish!!!!!!!!  Scott.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 06:58

Thunbs Up Thunbs Up
scottm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:02
And the winner....... is Ed Connelly and the Weaver K4-1.  Found it under the rear ring.  Have a great hunting season everyone.  See you around the forum.  Scott.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 07:05
  Don't be a stranger!
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 11:24
Yep - I had the same thing on a .22 Browning in the early 70s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic