OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Warne Mount Torque?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warne Mount Torque?
    Posted: October/03/2010 at 14:57
Anyone know the torque for the 1 piece steel base mount for Rem 700 short action made by Warne Maxima Tactical?  I have searched online all night including Warne's website and no specs are listed.  The instruction only says to firmly tighten them.  I have already installed them without the use of a torque wrench and used blue loctite.  Wondering if I should remove them and start over using a torque wrench that I just got.  I just have a feeling that it's on there too tight.  Using the L wrench it came with, I tightenned it as much as I could per instructions on other websites Badger's instruction in particular.  I then used a gunsmithing screw driver with a t-15 head to tighten it even more, turning about 1/4 turn or so.  I know it has about atleast 40 in/lbs of torque. I used the torwue wrench on it set to 35 in/lbs and watch to see if it will turn it in more and it didn't which indicates that it's over 35 lbs of torque.  SHould I leave it alone or remove it and do again using the torque wrench?  But don't know how much torque to use.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 14:59
Most bases need 15 in lbs.  35 is pretty tight.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RT13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 22:56
I removed the base mount and cleaned it up since I lightly smeared loctite underneath the base mount. Cleaned up the torx screws a bit and holes on the receiver.  Replaced the mount back using 15 in/lbs of torque.  I then tried to tighten some more with the L wrench and it wouldn't go any further, so I guess the rule of thumb to use the L wrench to the tightest you can get it works. I used blue loctite again and hope this is enough torque and that the mount screws don't come loose later on after a few hundred rounds of shooting.  I just didn't want to shoot the rifle for the first time knowing the mount screws were over torqued up to probably 35-40 in/lbs atleast, ballpark estimate.  Sure would have been nice if Warne had the torque secs somewhere out there.Roll Eyes
RT13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 16:58
Answer from Warne is 25 inch/lbs for all their steel mounts and rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic