OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hunting wild boars, which rifle scope; your help n
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting wild boars, which rifle scope; your help n

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting wild boars, which rifle scope; your help n
    Posted: October/02/2010 at 20:12
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 10">< name="OriginatorMicrosoft Word 10">

Hello to all. I am VERY glad that I found this forum. As a matter of fact, I almost purchased rifle scope today. However after reading some posts, I stopped in my tracks, waiting for your suggestion which way to go. I am going to Europe in two weeks and would like to bring that scope over there, and I have no much time to look thru all posts. The reason is very simple; I have to order scope next Monday if I want to be sure that I will receive it within two weeks. I am in Canada and some scopes are not readily available from stores, some common in USA are not available at all. For those scopes that are available, it’s not unusual to wait week or two to get what you want. Getting scope from USA is out of question, too much paperwork and even if I decide to go thru all that, it will take couple months, at least.

About myself; I am 57 years old, eye sight 1,25 distance, 2,25 close (or 2.50, not sure, paper is at work). Doc told me that with proper glasses I have 20/15. I have no clue what that means, but when I picked up my latest safety glasses I was given a chart and even smallest print was no problem at all. While hunting, I will have glasses 1.25.

Here are my hunting conditions:

1. My primary hunt is on wild boars, in majority case when they are running during day time.
  2. In addition, some hunts are early morning, well before sunrise, and even during night when there is enough moonlight (FYI, local law permits night hunt).
  3. Shooting distances during daytime are usually up to 200 meters.
  4. The rifle is Mauser sporter, with rings 1 inch that are 106 mm (4,173 inch), measured from outside edges.

I had Bushnell 6x40 purchased about 30 years ago, a big mistake I made as a after reading some magazines praising such scope as the best for average hunter. Now, when I so how good are for my type of hunt scopes 1,5-3x power, I decided to get one of those variables that could get low power setting no more than 3x.

To make everything worse, my knowledge about scopes is basically nil, period. So, I must rely on you and your experience.

I have presently some sort of dovetail ones, purchased in Austria, The were OK all these years and I believe that they will be good for next several years. The only thing I will do on them this time is to lap them to make sure that both rings are in line.

Also, our terrain is quite rough, with considerable amounts of rocks, and falls are not uncommon. In that respect, better, more expensive scopes would be nice, however, there is a good chance that they will be damaged, so I have to be moderate how much I should spend.

Here is my wish list;

1. Variable, low end power preferably  up to 2x, definitely no more than 3x., lens up to 40mm, maximum 42mm.
  2. Body 1 inch, body length at least 110mm (4.33 inch)
  3. Reticle should be reasonable strong and be well visible in low light conditions.
  4. Scope cannot be very sensitive to eye position. In most cases, hunting conditions are such that rifle has to be fired in a hurry on fast running boar, so there is no time for nice, comfortable positioning to get scope well aligned.
  5. Price up to $250, prefer not to go over $300.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 22:37
Trijicon Accupoints are tough to beat for shooting under the full moon. Im a hog hunter myself. I use the 2.5-10X56mm with the green ballistic plex. This one doesnt exactly meet your specs but Im sure you would be thrilled with it.

Onty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 06:38
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 10">

Thanks for reply. As a matter of fact I was thinking about one of these:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=677&back_row=1&categoryID=5  http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=682&back_row=3&categoryID=5 .

However they are bit pricey and as I can see, lead time is 6-8 weeks. Some distributors might have them on stock in USA, but I doubt over here in Canada. Maybe in the future.

Considering prices and what is available here, seems to me that Burris FullField II 3-9x40 XXXXXXXXXXXXX is a very good deal, followed Bushnell Elite 4200  . The fact is that they are not be the best scopes for very low light conditions, but with transmission of about 95% both, they would be OK for dusk and dawn.

So, which of those two you would recommend? What about sensitivity for eye position? Anything else I missed? Any other model I should consider?

Thanks, Onty.

P.S. I want to edit my first post to correct few errors but I realised that I cannot touch it after posting!?

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/03/2010 at 08:22
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 07:49
  ONTY  ONTY  ONTY,  
  PLEEZE read the rules for OT.  Here is #3:

3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 08:17
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

ONTY  ONTY  ONTY,  

3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition

Goodnes ONTY we can read regular print just fine and like mentioned its not cool to post click links to other dealers sites since SWFA sells all the same optics and pays to maintain this site.

You need to look at Trijicon Accupoint scopes and you need to look at the aimpoint red dots although they are 30mm and you might need different rings.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Zhurh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 09:22
I got a scope set up for 6,8 spc with B&C lines and ghost ring/red dot, 4-32.  Only killed a caribou with it so far. Nice for close range (2-3 hundred yards) but not long range (bou was 700 yards). I like the heck out of it for quick target acquisition.  Much better than a standard cross hair scope for quick close range shooting.
Onty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 09:28

ONTY  ONTY  ONTY,  

UPSSS, sorry. I was so desperate to get info fast that I overlooked it. I will be a good boy now. Thanks for correcting my mistakes.

So folks, which way I should go, Fullfield II or Elite 4200 in 3-9x40?

What is your opinion about smaller brother from Burris 2-7x 35? This later one is so tempting because of lower end 2x.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 09:32
the 4200 is way better of a scope than the burris is.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 10:00
I like the 4200 Bushnell scopes and have several.  I have had several Burris scopes and all but one was a disappointment.  Of the scopes I have one of my favorites is Leupold fixed 6 power FX3 6x42 and it is available with a BDC reticle called Long Range Duplex or with a Heavy Duplex reticle and I have the Heavy Duplex and believe that would be a good scope for your purposes.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Heavy Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66810
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$399.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 10:02
I am not sure your wish list and what you are willing to pay are compatible. You are spending a lot of money to go to Europe for this hunt and do you really want to skimp on optics?

I would be looking at a German #4 reticule for your low light and it is also going to help in drawing your eye to the cross hairs. Thin posts are harder to see in low light. And as far as getting the scope aligned, you might practice raising your rifle(unloaded of course!!! and pointed in a safe direction!!!) to proper alignment. This will develop muscle memory and speed up gaining a proper sight picture.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P5400.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-Riflescope-P12632.aspx
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 10:42
For night hunting hogs, it's very hard to beat the accu point of Trijicon. It's already been mentioned and for good reason. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 11:19
  Sounds like a niche for a decent affordable 1.5(1.75)-6 x42 but they're history.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Onty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 15:04
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Goodnes ONTY we can read regular print just fine and like mentioned its not cool to post click links to other dealers sites since SWFA sells all the same optics and pays to maintain this site.

You need to look at Trijicon Accupoint scopes and you need to look at the aimpoint red dots although they are 30mm and you might need different rings.

I apologize for that red coloured text. That wasn´t my intention at all. Looks like that culprit is the text I wrote in Words and copied here. Once I had typed all text on the forum, everything looked normal.

Originally posted by Zhurh Zhurh wrote:

I got a scope set up for 6,8 spc with B&C lines and ghost ring/red dot, 4-32.  Only killed a caribou with it so far. Nice for close range (2-3 hundred yards) but not long range (bou was 700 yards). I like the heck out of it for quick target acquisition.  Much better than a standard cross hair scope for quick close range shooting.

I had today lengthy discussion with friends from over there, they urged me to get Redfield with Acu Range reticle, even it's not the best choice for for low light conditions. Few of those trickled there and they like them for wild boars more than any other reticle, even more than those red dots/points and illuminated reticles.

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

I am not sure your wish list and what you are willing to pay are compatible. You are spending a lot of money to go to Europe for this hunt and do you really want to skimp on optics?

I would be looking at a German #4 reticule for your low light and it is also going to help in drawing your eye to the cross hairs. Thin posts are harder to see in low light. And as far as getting the scope aligned, you might practice raising your rifle(unloaded of course!!! and pointed in a safe direction!!!) to proper alignment. This will develop muscle memory and speed up gaining a proper sight picture.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P5400.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-Riflescope-P12632.aspx

As for the trip, I am going there for another reason, not for the hunt. Idea came from my friends when they learned I am coming for few weeks. Since Mauser 8x57 JS I have over there is old one (barrel is not in the best shape, but rifle will make 2 MOA, I will replace it later on) and will be my secondary rifle, this scope will stay on it so I can practise using cheap and plenty ball ammo. My primary hunting rifle will be later 30-06 or 338-06 in stainless, but that is another topic. For that one, I will get much better scope.

As for German #4 reticle, I agree with you, it had been long time top choice for for many, with a good reason, especially in low light conditions.

Sounds like a niche for a decent affordable 1.5(1.75)-6 x42 but they're history.

Yeah, I agree. Zeiss has very nice Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 MC. I will seriously consider this scope for  my dream rifle. Although, it's on their website, I was told by local store that it's out of production now. I should grab it before it's too late. If I can find one, of corse.

Many thanks!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 13:23
check out the Vortex Viper 2-7 with the C3 reticle
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic