OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Just bought a trijicon 3-9, ? about focus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a trijicon 3-9, ? about focus
    Posted: October/02/2010 at 19:26
Hi.  Just got my Trijicon 3-9x40 accupoint today.  Took it out of the box and played around with it a bit.  My question is, the only time the image comes into focus is when I turn the focus eye piece all the way clockwise towards the (-).  At that point it does come into focus nicely, but it seems wierd that it would take all the way to one side to achieve this.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Also, is that adjustment something you have to make at varying distances or is it something you set to your eyes one time and focuses to infinite distance.  Thanks.  Mike
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 23:34
I think you are talking about the diopter correction at the eye end of the scope. This allows you to focus the reticle and the target at the same time. The process for doing this go outside on a clear day, while looking through the scope at the blue sky focus the reticle. Then look away from the the scope for a few seconds, then back through the scope. Is the reticle still in focus when you first look throu the scope? Keep repeating these steps until, when your eye initially looks through the scope the reticle is crystal clear. It has to be from the first moment on, or your eye will bring it into focus itself, and lead to undue eye strain while looking through the scope.
  Were you looking through it in the house? On most scopes, with out an side focus or adjustable objective, the parallax is adjusted for about 100 yards. This could be the reason objects closer would be coming into focus with the diopter correction.   
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 20:25
It's not at all uncommon for the best eyepiece focus position to be clockwise (in the "-" direction) from the original "0" factory set position.  I've found for most shooters I've come in contact with, the best eyepiece focus position is usually somewhere around -1 to -1.5 diopters.  Looking at the diopter ring from the eyepiece end of the scope, this would be around 90-deg of clockwise rotation (3:00) of the eyepiece from the "0" (12:00) position.  This applies to not only the Trijicon, but MOST scopes with fast focus style diopter adjustment.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
wheel10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 21:07
I appreciate the great responses.  I really love the scope!  Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic