OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SII 4x32mm: what's your take?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthygeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SII 4x32mm: what's your take?
    Posted: October/02/2010 at 15:07
What do you think of this scope?  How does it compare with the Leupold FX-II 4x33mm?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 15:38

When it came time to go looking for a 4X scope the first brand I went to was Sightron. I have two Sightrons but not of the 4X configuration.  To me it is equal in all ways to the FX II except in one respect and that is the versatility of mounting.  The SII is a compact for sure with a tube length of only 4.4"(1.73" in the front and 1.42" in the rear).  Since I would be using the 4X on a long action the SII was tossed out consideration.  
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
philthygeezer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthygeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 21:02
Are your Sightrons SII's? What is the difference between plain SII's and the SIIb Blue Skies? Will I notice in a fixed 4x?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthygeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 21:07
Whoops I mean Big Sky not Blue Sky. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 07:07
 I've got an SI and an SII.  The diff between the SII and the Big Sky takes you up a class in scopes.  Say VXII to VXIII.
  How much are you looking to spend on a 4X?  If I were to buy one today this would be it:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 07:19
The IOR would be my choice as well.  it has gotten some great reviews. 
philthygeezer, are you set on a fixed 4x or open to options?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthygeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 15:52
Well, I noticed that the Sightron 4x32 is the cheapest one they make.  And I'm liking that $50 rebate they have on them.  So I'm thinking a couple would mount nicely on TC Encore barrels with good value for money spent.

But I've read through posts here and some feel the eye box is like a switch. Is this true? If so it would be a bit of a turn-off for me.

Ruminations on magnifications:
For field work, I prefer a compact fixed power scope like the Leupold FX-II 4x33 mm because I can mount it lower and it weighs less. My range scopes are 8-32x40 Bushnell 4200s with AOs, but I like simple outdoors. Shooting the FX-II 2.5x ultralight into 3/4 inch groups at 55 yards says that shot placement doesn't suffer a hell of a lot.

That said, I'm partial to the VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR as a nice compact rimfire scope. I have an older Vari-X II EFR and at 9x I can fire at bullet holes at 55 yards in fairly dim light on paper. It's small enough to mount tight to the receiver of a gun, and I can use the AO when conditions switch from field to thickets.

I like the 4x32 fixed for centerfires as a great all around compromise between magnification, focus, field of view, brightness, mounting ease and simplicity.  A 6x36 would be nice too.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthygeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 15:59
I have a Leupold FX-II 4x33mm and like it a lot, if that helps.

The Sightron may be short enough for the objective to fall behind the rear sight on standard Encore barrels, but now I'm worried that critical eye relief will force the scope forward anyway:

"I also had a Sightron SII 4x32 mounted on a 30-30 for a while and it was nice and very compact and optically as good as the other two choices. It had 4.5 inches of eye relief and I had to mount it on a Leupold rifleman one piece base that had extra ring slots for weaver rings and had to mount it as far forward as possible to get the eye piece far enough forward so that it wouldn't black out. It was a very nice clear scope though. SWFA carries them also I believe."

http://www.opticstalk.com/marlin-3030-scope-suggestions_topic20031.html?KW=4x32

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic