OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What about this??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about this??
    Posted: October/01/2010 at 21:21
Got a custom STW rifle w/heavy barrel (too heavy for a main hunting rifle). Looking for a long range open country scope for coyote size critters & target. It has a 20moa rail on it now, and for the money this set-up seems hard to beat.
Any pro's or cons here:

Vortex Viper 30mm 6.5-20 50mm target dot
TPS 30mm med tactical rings / steel alloy

If the scope is still available from SWFA I'm looking at dropping less than $500.
I like to measure powder by the cup.

You can tell a lot about a man by the edge he keeps on his pocket knife.

ROLLTIDE!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 23:27
Sounds like a very nice setup to me.

ILya
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 02:09
Tide?
Seriously over rated.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 03:39
That set up should serve you well!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 09:47
sounds like an awesome set up!!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 10:15
You may want lower power for coyotes they can slip in pretty close undetected or you may want to back it up with buckshot or a handgun for the ones that do get in close.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 10:58
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You may want lower power for coyotes they can slip in pretty close undetected or you may want to back it up with buckshot or a handgun for the ones that do get in close.

I think a 2 man team one with a shotgun and calling is a good setup. Then switch out taking turns.
Gerald Baker
Corndawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 20:35
Got the scope in yesterday!
Can't mount it yet. The TPS 30mm steel rings are on 2 week back order. I ordered a set of TPS 1" alum rings for my boss, and they made it in.

Just checking it out, and WOW, what a scope for what I paid. I'm not qualified to give a real review like some on here can, especially since it's not mounted, but I'm gonna be happy with this one.

One neat thing is the power numbers are on the scope itself rather than the power ring which is different from any I've seen.

Low light is good, but with fine lines & target dot, the reticle fades fast, but it wasn't really intended for late hunting.

It will be on a super flat magnum with 20moa rail so a lot of verticle isn't necessary, but how much adjustment do I have?
The clear front lense of the scope cover that came with it fell out when I took it out of the box, and I've played hell trying to get it back in, but WTF, I'll probably order a set of BC flip-ups anyway.
I like to measure powder by the cup.

You can tell a lot about a man by the edge he keeps on his pocket knife.

ROLLTIDE!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 08:08
Originally posted by Corndawg Corndawg wrote:

The clear front lense of the scope cover that came with it fell out when I took it out of the box, and I've played hell trying to get it back in, but WTF, I'll probably order a set of BC flip-ups anyway.

Same happened to me, dab a bit of superglue around the edge and wala
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic